Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Figured out my next mod!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 04:22 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Figured out my next mod!!

so lets see.....ive had the car almost 6 months and thanx to CL ive put on an intake/ecu, exhaust, and shocks/springs. of course, like most of you, im not quite satisfied. so over the past month or so, ive thought about what i want to do next. of course the usual go-fast stuff comes to mind: TC, LSD, sways, etc. but after reading what happened to xsuperjoex (glad to see that youre ok), i have reconsidered. i dont know the particulars of the accident but it scared the hell out of me. i mean seriously, how many times have i put myself in peril for the sake of fun. so i figured i make my car safer. ive decided to upgrade the brakes with either the supra kit or the RMM kit. ive done research on both but cant decide on which one i should get. i would love to do the AP/Stillen thing, but April 15th is gonna kick my a$$. so guys let me know what you think, which one should i go with? and if you have any other suggestions, feel free to add. thanx...

Doc
Old 04-07-02, 05:05 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or you can drive around like this......

heh heh
Attached Thumbnails Figured out my next mod!!-ferrai-cover.jpg  
Old 04-07-02, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

DrRick - I assume you're getting new rims? You can't fit those brake upgrades on stock rims. (Can't even fit 'em on mine either ).
Old 04-07-02, 06:48 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

really??? with estenzive use of the search feature, i figured that they would fitl with the 17s. ill take your word as gospel since you are more informed. looks like i will need some new shoes

Doc
Old 04-07-02, 07:13 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a supra brake upgrade would be an awesome mod, you always have to stop...

drew
Old 04-07-02, 07:20 PM
Spartan
Driver

Default Brakes....

Unfortunately many people get all the go fast parts and never consider such parts as brakes and other not so flashy parts such as tranny upgrades and or coolers.
BIG brakes are essential to cars like ours that have things such as superchargers and stiffer suspension which allows us to go faster. But going faster means you have to stop faster....
That is probably going to be my next mod as well.
AP Racing brakes all the way...I amde sure my HREs would allow for them. Plus they look awsome (6 piston).
Thanks
MIKE
Old 04-07-02, 07:27 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

i would love to get the 6-pot braking system, but the cost prohibits it..........budget only allows so much on the car. if what bitkahuna says is true, and it always is, the wheels will have to come first. when ordering the wheels what do i need to specify in order to clear the new calipers. past posts mentioned something about "hi disc" options. what exactly does that mean?

Doc

Lets go METS!!!!!!
Old 04-07-02, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

DrRick - it's all a question of how close the rim spokes go to the rotor/caliper. I think the high disc means the rim dishes OUT more. HIGH quality rims like HRE's can be ordered with the right offsets/disc to fit HUMONGOUS brakes like AP. Relatively cheap rims like mine can't.
Old 04-07-02, 11:20 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Dr. Rick,

I have the same problem with up grading my brakes. Its like what Bit said, it depends on the off set of the rim. My off set on my rim's are +38, it won't fit on supra tt brakes I tried with HI98GS's car. He has the supra tt brakes on his car and he's running 19x9's up front. He's on vacation right now but when he returns I'll ask him to post what off set he has, maybe it might help you out in your rim buying decision.

Aloha
Old 04-08-02, 03:32 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Its NOT offsets... It is called a "high disc" fitment. It means that regardless of the shape/style/offset of the wheel, it will be manufactured to clear a big caliper. You will find a handfull of wheels whose design alone will allow for use of a big caliper. Usually, those wheels will have curved spoke design and will be 18" or larger. Do not assume anything when ordering wheels, if you have or plan to have big calipers, order a high disc fitment.
Old 04-08-02, 04:32 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brakes....

Originally posted by Spartan
...But going faster means you have to stop faster....
Mike,

I agree that upgraded brakes are a good idea, but I respectfully disagree that there is a realtionship between a 'go' mod needing a 'stop' mod to offset it. I agree in modding responsibly, and improving your driving experience with quality parts, but how is this so?

'Go' mods just get you going faster, sooner.

An intake doesn't have a direct realtionship to braking; I mean, you get an intake, or a TC; you're all of a sudden not going to start driving at 95mph instead of 75mph, right? You're still attempting to decelerate at a given speed.

The only mod I would consider necessitating brake upgrade is added weight, like bigger wheels, rims, or a ton of stereo equipment; i.e. weight, but I know, JMHO.

Peace
Old 04-08-02, 04:51 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default You are right....

Dex...
You are right when you say the Intake has nothing to do with needing a brake upgrade....I was really referring to things like wheels and added weight like you said. I do think that if you are doing some things like road racing you should stay off the track until you get good brakes....The OEM brakes will just not cut it. I think they will fade very quickly....not going off of experience just second had knowledge....
Thanks
MIKE
Old 04-08-02, 08:38 AM
blue wax
Lead Lap

everyone here is right

but...............

speeding is sometimes cool..... stopping in time always cooler !!!

yezzzzzzzz

Old 04-08-02, 11:01 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by blue wax
everyone here is right

but...............

speeding is sometimes cool..... stopping in time always cooler !!!

yezzzzzzzz

Aint that the truth!!!!!
Old 04-08-02, 11:52 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

I would definitely do the Supra Upgrade over the RMM upgrade. You will be paying much more for the RMM brakes, and they are bascially the same Supra brakes you can get yourself.

When I got my rims, I asked for the fronts to have a big brake clearence. You will definitely FEEL the difference, but also consider that you will also have to watch for people running into the BACK of your car, if you have to hit the brakes with your upgrade! You REALLY stop a lot quicker! I am going to get someone with stock brakes to do a emergency stop from 40mph, and measure the distance, then do the same in my car (Supra upgraded brakes), and see the difference. This will be done in an arena parking lot.

Lee

Quick Reply: Figured out my next mod!!