Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibrations from BC coilovers for AWD.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 06:17 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ What coilovers are you running? I'm on Megan EZ's and I also have about an inch of thread left after maxing them out. However, I'm at 23.5" ground to fender after that. Did you touch the preload at all?
Old 05-02-11, 06:41 AM
Willis1550
Driver

I'm on BCRs. I haven't adjusted the preloads.
Old 05-02-11, 09:39 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Acingteam
It all depends on how low you are. Have you maxed the coilovers out? My guess is, probably not. When I was slammed I had vibrations stopped in D and while driving around. I just raised mine up to 1 finger gap in front and none in the rear, and vibrations while stopped in D almost went away completely. And when I set the dampening to the hardest setting on all 4 corners, my vibration while driving seemed to go away.
no i havent maxed them out. Im not into that look. I actually got lucky and they are perfect right out of the box. I didnt need to adjust them and have a 1" gap all the way around. Sits just the beemers and benz's.
Old 05-02-11, 09:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

lol thats not maxed out all. you need to loosen the very bottom ring just at the base of the coil sleeve then turn the top to rings to adjust the height. trust me, you can pretty much tuck stock wheels with those coils.
Old 05-02-11, 11:23 AM
Willis1550
Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
lol thats not maxed out all. you need to loosen the very bottom ring just at the base of the coil sleeve then turn the top to rings to adjust the height. trust me, you can pretty much tuck stock wheels with those coils.
Yes, I know. Hence the problem. The bottom ring was loose, and the top ring would not spin any further. Therefore I assumed it was bottomed out. But the height is still 24.75".

Wouldn't you be able to see the difference if one front side was bottomed out and the other conservative? Or do they work hand in hand? Do you think if I raise the driver side front (that's bottomed out) it might actually stay the same height until I get close on the coil to where the other side is?

Basically are they independent, to a degree, or linked in some way side to side on the front?
Old 05-02-11, 05:53 PM
speedywa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my BCR coilover bought from CMS on my 350 awd last week. Vibration is very noticeable. Like CMS said, i would wait for the coilover to settle down to see if i need to adjust the height or not. Performance is great though.
Old 04-01-12, 10:14 PM
morfhious3
Rookie

did any of you guys solve the problems with vibration without raising it up on is2 awd owners lowered on coils?did it went away after a few weeks?coz i just installed my coils last thursday i didnt even notice it till today while driving to work and on stop it vibrates badly.and didnt drive the car for two days after the coil was installed.
Old 04-02-12, 02:20 PM
morfhious3
Rookie

really?no posts.?nobody resolved their vibration issues just by driving to let the coils to settle in.?i guess some you guys still have the vibration after all these time by not raising the car.
Old 04-05-12, 11:05 AM
Haddz
Driver School Candidate

this is why i came just logged in. i just installed my megan coils last week, and when i stop with my foot on teh break pedal there is some serious vibrations. My car is 25" from ground to fender so teh boot doesnt rip but it still vibrates like the car is about to break apart
Old 04-26-12, 05:40 PM
Dr3wSaL
Driver

Damn, it's really discouraging to hear about all the vibration issues. I have an 07 IS250 awd and want to lower it conservatively, probably no more than 1.5", primarily just to reduce the huge wheel well gap. I'd also like to conserve the ride quality and keep it close to stock. Would you guys just recommend going with f-sports or some other springs rather than gambling with the BCs and risking the vibration issues?
Old 05-01-12, 08:25 AM
pdpgps
Rookie

I had no problem with my BC coils on 2011 IS250 AWD. I am exactly 25.1" from road surface.

Those of you with vibration, don't your installers test drive your cars? Don't they notice it too? I feel like that's something they should look at, and if they told me it was vibrating like a **** on the test drive I'd tell him to try to play around with the settings, or forget the install.
Old 05-28-12, 08:06 PM
jdmnysee
Driver School Candidate

about to get the coils, but has anyone with springs get vibrations also?
or springs are the safer way to go?
Old 07-20-12, 06:47 AM
awdwill
Driver School Candidate

Been waiting for 2 months since I bought the car, but I am seeing no real solutions to this problem with IS250 AWD... very discouraging. Seriously, are there ANY coilovers OR springs that have a clean record of zero vibrations and zero complaints (for IS250 AWD)?
Old 07-25-12, 04:04 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by awdwill
Been waiting for 2 months since I bought the car, but I am seeing no real solutions to this problem with IS250 AWD... very discouraging. Seriously, are there ANY coilovers OR springs that have a clean record of zero vibrations and zero complaints (for IS250 AWD)?
If you read through other threads and do some research, you will find out that there is no way around the vibrations on any of the AWD Lexus sedans (IS/GS). It's all because of the angle the drive shaft/differential has once lowered. One member was able to get the vibrations eliminated via spacers but never went all they way through with mass production and final testing. All you can do I believe, is stay above 25" from ground to fender. This will also stop your CV boots from tearing.
Old 10-24-12, 01:39 PM
brotherG
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2009 IS250 AWD and lowered it on H&R springs and the vibration and wobble at low speeds in insane. I also get vibration in drive with brake applied.

Circuit is correct in their assesment. Depending on how much you lower the car, it will effect the angles of the axles causing it to vibrate.

This really blows! I guess I will have to sell.... just don't like the stock look!!
Too bad cuz I love the car!