Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibrations from BC coilovers for AWD.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 12:30 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

theres a huge thread in the 3GS suspension forum. im working on a solution and i will be picking the parts up tonight after work. hopefully this will solve the issue.
Old 03-15-11, 01:01 PM
xnfsx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome keep us posted!! hopefully it will be a similar fix for the is250 awd
Old 03-15-11, 01:08 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

should be. if it works, i'll also have it tested on the 2IS to assure it works. i already have a vendor set up to produce the items also.
Old 03-15-11, 04:53 PM
xnfsx
Pole Position

what are the expected costs at the moment? ive been researching is it true that 2006 is models arent affected for the vibrations? only 07+?
Old 03-16-11, 04:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

no cost really developed yet as we still need to find the solution. not sure but i have an 06 GS and i have the same problem as all other AWD GS owners regardless of year
Old 03-16-11, 05:11 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

seem like this only happens to awd cars ?
Old 03-16-11, 06:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yup just us AWD people. keep in mind its very subjective. one person could say their car vibrates badly and another could say its not that bad.
Old 03-25-11, 11:05 PM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

I got use to the vibrations at idle because its not that bad and seemed normal even before I got my coils installed, but my car also vibrates when I'm coasting but when I gas it, it goes away is this also normal for the AWD? lol
Old 04-19-11, 03:30 PM
Willis1550
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my coils installed this past weekend. I have the vibrations in Drive and Reverse, the 0-20 mph wobble, AND I also have vibrations 40+ mph. It's strange though because I had all of the above symptoms with my Road Magnet springs. I installed the springs and had a shop install the coils. So I doubt it's an install problem. Anyone else have this?

I am really starting to hate this car.
Old 05-01-11, 10:23 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xjayho
I got use to the vibrations at idle because its not that bad and seemed normal even before I got my coils installed, but my car also vibrates when I'm coasting but when I gas it, it goes away is this also normal for the AWD? lol
I have the same exact thing. Doesn't matter how fast/slow I'm going, the car vibrates on deceleration, but once I give it some gas it goes away. Also, sometimes it rides like new, then all of a sudden starts to vibrate (without changing the throttle position at all).

Originally Posted by Willis1550
I just had my coils installed this past weekend. I have the vibrations in Drive and Reverse, the 0-20 mph wobble, AND I also have vibrations 40+ mph. It's strange though because I had all of the above symptoms with my Road Magnet springs. I installed the springs and had a shop install the coils. So I doubt it's an install problem. Anyone else have this?

Me too bro. I raised my car a full inch from what I was at before (23.5" ground to fender all around), and the vibrations at a stop in D are CLEARLY not as bad, but I still get vibrations while driving around. I may as well just slam it back down... so annoying.

It's definitely not an install problem, since I don't hear anyone with RWD complaining about this.
Old 05-01-11, 10:30 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

I have a general question to guys who know more about the drivetrain. Would it be easy/viable to try and convert an AWD to RWD? Would there be any potential problems by pulling out the axle shafts in the front (since they are the ones that are stretched)? Some concerns are... would that mess with traction control since the fronts would be spinning freely with no resistance? Any other potential problems? Would it be drivable in theory?

The only reason I would try and do it is because I regret buying AWD... so not everyone would what to do that. But I wonder if that would solve the problem... any input? Thanks!
Old 05-01-11, 01:16 PM
k4fu
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Willis1550
I just had my coils installed this past weekend. I have the vibrations in Drive and Reverse, the 0-20 mph wobble, AND I also have vibrations 40+ mph. It's strange though because I had all of the above symptoms with my Road Magnet springs.
i've had road magnets on mine for a year now and i've only experienced wobble/vibrations once or twice.

i'm planning on getting either BCR or Megan EZ within the year, but i'm a little hesitant with all the problems AWD owners have experienced.

like others have said, could this be a random occurrence? not all AWD IS' would have it, only some?
Old 05-01-11, 06:36 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shuturmout
i've had road magnets on mine for a year now and i've only experienced wobble/vibrations once or twice.

i'm planning on getting either BCR or Megan EZ within the year, but i'm a little hesitant with all the problems AWD owners have experienced.

like others have said, could this be a random occurrence? not all AWD IS' would have it, only some?
I dont have vibrations with my BC coils that were installed 3 weeks ago. I do however have a slight wobble in the 0-15mph zone. I have yet to get an alignment though. There are also new wheels on the car and I noticed the lugs needed a retighten. That made the wobble a little less but still is there a tiny bit.
Old 05-01-11, 07:09 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flektone
I dont have vibrations with my BC coils that were installed 3 weeks ago. I do however have a slight wobble in the 0-15mph zone. I have yet to get an alignment though. There are also new wheels on the car and I noticed the lugs needed a retighten. That made the wobble a little less but still is there a tiny bit.
It all depends on how low you are. Have you maxed the coilovers out? My guess is, probably not. When I was slammed I had vibrations stopped in D and while driving around. I just raised mine up to 1 finger gap in front and none in the rear, and vibrations while stopped in D almost went away completely. And when I set the dampening to the hardest setting on all 4 corners, my vibration while driving seemed to go away.
Old 05-01-11, 08:31 PM
Willis1550
Driver

I went to drop my fronts a hair yesterday and I realized that my driver side front is already maxed out (prob about an 1" of threads between the rings), however the ground to fender with stock 17s was like 24.75". The front passenger side was the same height, 24.75", but it had all kinds of room to go lower.

Any ideas? Something wrong with the coilover? Suspension? Can preload affect this?

Quick Reply: Vibrations from BC coilovers for AWD.