Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibrations from BC coilovers for AWD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 05:28 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Is300M.Q.
I wonder if the C connection on the front strut assembly has somthing to do with it... I think you can put them on in either direction and it will go back together. Maybe thats the problem.
im pretty sure they can only go one way cause there a notch were the C bracket sits flush with the shock
Old 07-23-09, 08:06 PM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Im talking about when you bolt it to the car. You can actually bolt it either way I think.
Old 07-23-09, 08:27 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

wow, sounds like poor design...
Old 07-27-09, 04:32 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I think the problem that you all are reporting is with lowering the 3GS and 2IS in general. I've had the issues (stop and idle vibe and 0-15/20mph wobble) since I lowered my car back in March of 2006. I thought it was just normal. Then I thought it was due to the 20" staggered setup but now it's all coming together. Given the fact that I was the first 3GS in this forum to lower my car with Tanabe's it was hard to get feedback information up until now. 3 1/2 years later and 11,500 miles I haven't experienced any major problems but it's still annoying. BTW, this is all subjective because my wife doesn't even notice it and the dealer thinks it's improperly balanced wheel/tires.
Old 07-27-09, 04:35 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Phiber
wow, sounds like poor design...
I don't think it's a poor design. Lexus designed the car to be stock and no major suspension mfg. (Tanabe, Tein, Eibach, HKS, etc.) specifies the lowering kits for use on the GS AWD. There's a reason for that, and I think some of are experiencing it or all of us are experiencing it but it's not noticeable or doesn't bother others.
Old 12-11-09, 11:14 AM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Is this vibrations still bugging you guys? I know I am.

One thing I noticed is if I had the ac/heat on full bar or 4 to 5 bars, at a light stop with foot on brake. The center console vibrates rather than the steering wheel. After turning down the ac/heat bar to 1 then it would vibrate at the steering wheel. Whats your take on this?
Old 12-11-09, 11:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a very bad vibration at idle until i raised the car up. my fronts are raised pretty much all the way on my 3GS (it still looks very lowered though) and i only have a little vibration from 0-10mph. not to big of a deal and after about 10 mins of driving i dont even notice it anymore. i only notice it when i drive my car after i havent driven it in a week or so.
Old 05-21-10, 10:15 AM
pchan0
Lead Lap

So I just asked 'imports4me' who have a 09/10 IS AWD about the steering wheel vibration, and he said he did not experience any after installing BCR coils. I noticed the steering wheel vibration as soon as I pull out of the lift. Would the vibration just be a install problem?
Old 05-21-10, 10:46 AM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it has to do with the front axles. I just raised my car to is250 springs and most of the vibration went away. I think if i went all the way with is250 AWD springs then i will not have any vibration. I noticed that when i pulled on the axles, the inner boots stretches and if i pulled enough the connection inside the inner boot comes loose. I have to find the right spot to push it back in. Also noticed some grease starting to come out from the inner boot due to being pretty low and stretching out the axles. I bet a slightly longer axle or a couple of washers between the disc brake spindles and the axles will eliminate the stretching of the axles and prevent the vibration.
Old 05-21-10, 10:50 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Default I do not recommend lowering the GS AWD!

After owning my GS AWD for almost 4.5 years I decided to trade it in for a CPO 2007 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG (arctic white with the panoroof). I've always wanted an E63!

I had buyers remorse immediately after buying my GS AWD and I tried my best to make me satisfied. The car looked good but the fact that it was under powered, didn't handle very well and had vibration issues being lowered with a staggered setup gave me enough reasons to get rid of it.

Although I am no longer a Lexus owner I'll be glad to provide any useful feedback.
Old 05-21-10, 10:55 AM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ yeah I agree most lexus in stock form are under powered however my bro has a gs450h and that bad boy is quick!
Old 05-25-10, 08:45 PM
Touge
Pole Position

I don't think it's the install. It's just that the awd cars hate to be lowered. I've had vibrations at idle and at speed since day 1. The install went flawlessly in my case.
Old 03-13-11, 03:57 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

how many miles have you guys gotten without issue being dropped while experiencing the vibration at stop & wobble @10-20mph?
Old 03-13-11, 10:59 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you tried putting the car in neutral at stop then back in gear?

that usually stops the vibrations for me i'm dropped on f sport springs
Old 03-15-11, 12:14 PM
xnfsx
Pole Position

To be honest....I get vibrations ever since i went to service for my 40 k mile service. Neutral...no vibrations...drive, reverse, park...ANNOYING VIBRATION...I am planning to get bc racing coilovers but now im reluctant. Is there a solution yet?

Quick Reply: Vibrations from BC coilovers for AWD.