Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan vs. BC Racing Coilovers ?

Old 07-13-09, 10:45 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megan vs. BC Racing Coilovers ?

Out of the two, which have better ride quality? I saw in another thread Megans are supposed to have very good ride quality, how about BC? That, and which spring rate should I consider? 8k/10k? 6k/8k?

One of the things I like about BC Racing is not having to send the entire coilover out for a rebuild, as they will just send you a new cartridge and your good to go. How does Megan deal with rebuilds though?
Old 07-13-09, 11:49 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have BC racing and love them. here is my review:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4630422-post1.html

I've heard from several unoficial resources (not 100% sure) that BC racing and/or the company who makes BC racing also makes Megan and that BC racing is supposed to be a slight step up with bigger internals and better locking.
dont hate on me megan owners thats what ive heard, hopefully someone can say this for sure
Old 07-13-09, 01:29 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14

I've heard from several unoficial resources (not 100% sure) that BC racing and/or the company who makes BC racing also makes Megan and that BC racing is supposed to be a slight step up with bigger internals and better locking.
dont hate on me megan owners thats what ive heard, hopefully someone can say this for sure
I heard the same thing too. BC racing manufacture Megan and they are very similar in many ways, but not sure about the bigger internals and better locking. Right now I'm thinking of ordering BC over Megan.
Old 07-13-09, 02:01 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin.IS
I heard the same thing too. BC racing manufacture Megan and they are very similar in many ways, but not sure about the bigger internals and better locking. Right now I'm thinking of ordering BC over Megan.
I chose BC racing taking into consideration many different things and also this quote from Circuit MS one of the CL vendors:

"Compared to Megans, BCR coilovers have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, locking lower rings (so the height adjustment rings don't work loose), and a better damping curve. They end up being a lot more compliant over rough surfaces. And they tend to last longer."

Last edited by juice14; 07-13-09 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 05:12 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

anyone else with input on Megan or BC Racing ride quality?
Old 07-14-09, 05:19 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juice14

I have read the same thing on many other car forums.
Old 07-14-09, 10:39 AM
pchan0
Lead Lap

I just drove home from BC racing coilovers installs for the AWD.

Feels just abit firmer with 15 clicks for damping, that's in the middle so I have lots of adjustment to make to ride like stock.

Thumbs up so far...

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
anyone else with input on Megan or BC Racing ride quality?
Old 07-14-09, 11:56 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BCR coilovers will return a better ride quality than the Megans will.

Juice quoted me from another thread explaining why;

Compared to Megans, BCR coilovers have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, locking lower rings (so the height adjustment rings don't work loose), and a better damping curve. They end up being a lot more compliant over rough surfaces. And they tend to last longer.

Overall the BCR coilovers are just a nicer piece, for just a bit more money.

Bigger internals means more surface area for the shim stacks and valves, which leads to a smoother ride and better tuning of damping. The larger shock bodies means more room for the internals and a stiffer cartirdge, which means it will hold up to much more abuse. The BCR coilovers also come with a coarser thread, so you can adjust ride height easier and quickly.

Feel free to PM us with any inquiries. I have personally run BCR's on 3 of my vehicles and the CMS STi runs a BCR ER series.

Also FYI - Pillowball bearings will provide a more direct and solid feeling in your suspension but they will also make the ride a bit more harsh and transfer more noise and vibration. A lot of Lexus owners like erring on the side of comfort. So we provide the option of pillowball OR rubber mounts.

If anyone has any questions or wants to order a set just shoot us a PM or email. We have a lot of experience with coilovers and setups and can give suggestions for settigns, rates, etc.
Old 07-16-09, 07:54 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

BCR what i have and there great. its a plus that you can replace them yourself without sending them in so no need to wait
Old 07-17-09, 11:53 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

alright, so I called Megan and they said they also offer the rebuild cartridge so no need to send the entire coilover out for a rebuild, just pop in the new cartridge - they also said their locking rings are true 'locking' rings... just like BC. It almost seems like these coilovers are identical (except for 'beefier insides')... but do I want to pay $200-$300 more for 'beefier insides'? Hmm....

They also said something about rubber mounts not lasting as long as pillow ball mounts and thats why they only offer pillow ball? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 07-17-09, 12:15 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

How much is the megan and how much is the BC? maybe you can work a a deal with the vendors. Also i saw a FS tread on JICS. Hope that help
Old 07-17-09, 01:44 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha of course they told you that.

They do not lock, they are a flat bottomed ring that doesn't seal into the lower mount.

And the rubber mount thing is total BS. A pillowball mount will actually wear FASTER than a rubber mount.

That's what you get when you call a phone room for a manufacturer, bad info.
Old 07-17-09, 04:03 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Haha of course they told you that.

They do not lock, they are a flat bottomed ring that doesn't seal into the lower mount.

And the rubber mount thing is total BS. A pillowball mount will actually wear FASTER than a rubber mount.

That's what you get when you call a phone room for a manufacturer, bad info.
very possible.
Old 07-17-09, 08:52 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely possible

Think about it this way, the rubber mount is a rubber plug in a metal plate, it does not move or rotate, it is simply there to hold the suspension to the cars chassis.

A pillowball mount is a metal-on-metal spherical bearing that moves constantly, rubbing itself away on the outside of the metal cradle.

Which one is more likely to make noise and wear out faster?
Old 07-18-09, 11:32 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

on the spherical bearing mount do you sell those for spares? i want to get a second set. so if they wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Megan vs. BC Racing Coilovers ?