Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 11:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

IS250 rear brake replacement (GREAT DIY with lots of PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 09:18 PM
grandamliz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought the brakes from brake labs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories this the link to page where i bought them from. so far the they are working great they dont heat up for brake fade and no brake dust i think they are worth it. and the jack point i used under the wheel was the actual lower a arm so it lifts up just that wheel and not the whole car.
Old 08-10-09, 11:49 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh sweet thanks man, who did your front brakes? let us see pics of the set up. great write up
Old 11-21-09, 02:08 PM
bobbynoise
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detailed writeup! I followed your instructions but I came across a problem when putting in the new brake pads. The outer one doesn't fit. I tried shimmying it into the space but it looks like it needs at least 2mm more clearance to fit? I pushed the piston all the way back in and the inner pad fits fine. Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-10, 10:34 AM
nightlifex
Driver School Candidate

Default Torque Specs?

Just wondering if anyone had the torque specs for the calipers (front and rear)??
Old 01-25-10, 12:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Torque specs and more:

Old 04-12-10, 11:02 AM
noelis250
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detailed post. I tried replacing the rear pads only, but I couldn't get the outer pads in. There was more than enough room for the inner pads but I could get more distance between the rotor and outer caliper wall.
Any ideas??
Old 04-17-10, 02:53 PM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by noelis250
Thanks for the detailed post. I tried replacing the rear pads only, but I couldn't get the outer pads in. There was more than enough room for the inner pads but I could get more distance between the rotor and outer caliper wall.
Any ideas??
Does anyone know? I also experienced the same problem. Inner pad is ok, but outer pad didn't have enough room. I'm using EBC redstuff EBC-DP31586C and it says it fits the IS250/350. Is there another adjustment to be made?
Old 04-18-10, 08:21 PM
charles87k
Rookie

how do these brakes perform? does anyone know the quality of them?

OP, do you have the front ones as well? I checked Brake Labs but they don't have the rear ones anymore.
Old 04-18-10, 08:41 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great DIY!!!
Old 04-20-10, 11:16 PM
charles87k
Rookie

anyone? just wondering the quality and performance of these and other ebay brakes in general. are they as reliable/durable as OEM brakes?
Old 04-27-10, 06:31 AM
fjascione
Driver School Candidate

Default Kind of Paint

Does anyone know what kind of paint was used?

Thanks
Old 05-06-10, 11:06 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure how the EBCs rear pads perform as I haven't figured out how to get them in.
Old 07-17-10, 04:52 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also experiencing the same problem as the other posters above. I have gotten both pads in on the passenger side no problem, but the driver side is the one giving me trouble. The outer pad seems like it needs another 2-3mm for it to fit. I noticed that when I tugged the passenger side caliper it moves in and out, but when I tried it on the other side it won't even budget. Anybody has any idea why it's like that and why I can't put the outer pad in on the other side?
Old 07-17-10, 07:02 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Found out that there is movement because of the sliding pin. But the other side is seized up and will not slide at all. When I moved the rubber piece around it to get a better look, it seems like rust is formed all over. How do you go about fixing this problem? Will I have to replace the whole caliper?
Old 08-07-10, 04:26 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbynoise
Thanks for the detailed writeup! I followed your instructions but I came across a problem when putting in the new brake pads. The outer one doesn't fit. I tried shimmying it into the space but it looks like it needs at least 2mm more clearance to fit? I pushed the piston all the way back in and the inner pad fits fine. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by noelis250
Any ideas??
Originally Posted by wakaru8
Does anyone know? I also experienced the same problem. Inner pad is ok, but outer pad didn't have enough room. I'm using EBC redstuff EBC-DP31586C and it says it fits the IS250/350. Is there another adjustment to be made?
Originally Posted by wakaru8
I'm not sure how the EBCs rear pads perform as I haven't figured out how to get them in.
Originally Posted by Tchan1
I am also experiencing the same problem as the other posters above. I have gotten both pads in on the passenger side no problem, but the driver side is the one giving me trouble. The outer pad seems like it needs another 2-3mm for it to fit. I noticed that when I tugged the passenger side caliper it moves in and out, but when I tried it on the other side it won't even budget. Anybody has any idea why it's like that and why I can't put the outer pad in on the other side?
Originally Posted by Tchan1
Found out that there is movement because of the sliding pin. But the other side is seized up and will not slide at all. When I moved the rubber piece around it to get a better look, it seems like rust is formed all over. How do you go about fixing this problem? Will I have to replace the whole caliper?

Wow, all these people are having the same problem and nobody has figured out a solution?? I'm also having this problem. The caliper does not move back and forth so there is no room to install the outer pad. Can anybody help with this?

Quick Reply: IS250 rear brake replacement (GREAT DIY with lots of PICS!)