Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

19's wheels and rubbing issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 08:10 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19's wheels and rubbing issues

Hey guys,

First let me state my problem:

I have a 97 sc300 and have tein ss coilovers with about a inch drop in the front and 1.5 in the rear (flat look). I have a set of 19 inch wheels with 245/35 in the front.

I am having a issue with rubbing in the front but not so much with the tire hitting the fender but with the inner tire hitting the plastic under the car that sits behind the well( i think where the shock well is).

Is there anyway that I can solve this rubbing issue. It happens not so much on bumps but when there is a dip in the road.

Any suggestions?????

THanks,

-GP
Old 07-09-09, 08:14 AM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Take it off... its a common thing on the SC models. Another thing you're going to want to do is re-route the harness underneath that plastic inner well. Reason being that the tire will rip that harness apart. Trust me it happens to the best of us.
Old 07-09-09, 08:21 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Ok, I was thinking about taking the plastic off, but it looks like it will still rub against the metal that the plastic is covering. I was thinking about banging it up a little bit to get some clearance.

Now what harness are you reffereing to when u say that the tire will rip it up? on which side? My man rubbing issue is on the driverside and very very little on passangerside.

Thanks,

-GP
Old 07-09-09, 08:41 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wire harness is tucked underneath the driverside inner wheel well. I did this last weekend, instead of cutting and splicing the wires you can UNCLIP the harnesses from under the driverside footwell(4 harnesses that comes out to the wheel well) and re-route em into your engine bay to the firewall.. Bottom link has some more detail on this job:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nch-v-lol.html
Old 07-09-09, 11:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

what are the offsetts on your wheels and width?
It shouldnt be coming that close to the metal. you may want to look into using a spacer to gain more inner clearance.
Old 07-09-09, 11:48 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

i forget what the offset is in the front, i believe its 40 and i have 10mm spacers on them. Now I am thinking that i should have gone bigger, like 15mm. the fronts are only 19x 8.5 245/35 and the rears are 19x 9.5 275/30 (rears dont rub at all).

Hey Ali are u single turbo or twin cause the mid and downpipe that i have are custom made for single set-up. I am still twin thinking bout either keeping them or going single right now as we speak. So i dont know if i want to get rid of the midpipe just yet
Old 07-09-09, 05:03 PM
RANDY P
Driver

I run 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 on an identical setup dropped lower than that, only time I rub is almost full turn and it's the front of the wheelwell..

Next round, scale back the tire size and you shouldn't have issues. See my earlier posts for pics on how it looks...
Old 07-09-09, 05:39 PM
dohc03svt
Rookie

do u have any pics of how it looks
Old 07-10-09, 04:26 PM
RANDY P
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post4668477 I just posted 2 pics of my rig a minute ago..

No gap, speedo is within 3 miles of stock, looks perfect.
Old 07-14-09, 09:47 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGreen
i forget what the offset is in the front, i believe its 40 and i have 10mm spacers on them. Now I am thinking that i should have gone bigger, like 15mm. the fronts are only 19x 8.5 245/35 and the rears are 19x 9.5 275/30 (rears dont rub at all).

Hey Ali are u single turbo or twin cause the mid and downpipe that i have are custom made for single set-up. I am still twin thinking bout either keeping them or going single right now as we speak. So i dont know if i want to get rid of the midpipe just yet
Have the same tire setup, and same issue. I know the rub is in front, but not sure where...
Old 07-14-09, 10:07 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by talltrini1
Have the same tire setup, and same issue. I know the rub is in front, but not sure where...
The rub is going to be on the inner wheel well. Your tire is hitting the plastic that covers underneath your car. I mainly have the issue on the driverside but it rubs on both. Im not sure if i should go 235/35 next time or maybe i need to raise the front a little bit. I will try to work on rolling fenders and getting some extra clearance under there this weekend hopefully.
Old 07-14-09, 10:25 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

The rub is going to be on the inner wheel well. Your tire is hitting the plastic that covers underneath your car. I mainly have the issue on the driverside but it rubs on both. Im not sure if i should go 235/35 next time or maybe i need to raise the front a little bit. I will try to work on rolling fenders and getting some extra clearance under there this weekend hopefully.
Yes, now that I think about it the driver's side does touch down first. I'm contemplating getting spacers, since my offest is such that I actually have a decent amount of room to move out and still be under the fenders. Please post an update ince you get your fenders rolled.
Thanks!
Old 07-14-09, 10:41 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by talltrini1
Yes, now that I think about it the driver's side does touch down first. I'm contemplating getting spacers, since my offest is such that I actually have a decent amount of room to move out and still be under the fenders. Please post an update ince you get your fenders rolled.
Thanks!
I can tell you that I have some 10mm spacers on my wheels and that does not help since i still rub, maybe 15 or 20mm will help this as long as u stay under the fender.

Do you rub hard and is it often?

Will post updates once fenders are rolled.
Old 07-14-09, 10:52 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

I can tell you that I have some 10mm spacers on my wheels and that does not help since i still rub, maybe 15 or 20mm will help this as long as u stay under the fender.

Do you rub hard and is it often?

Will post updates once fenders are rolled.
Fairly hard in dips, and since I drive fast everywhere, fairly often. This thread has scared me a bit - Going to take a look at that fender liner tonight! Glad it's not my DD...
Old 07-14-09, 10:58 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Yeah I dont really know what wire harness people keep saying they tear up as i dont believe mine is in that location but I am going to check on that. I use my car often so it is my DD. I already tore the plastic down once already (speed testing to make sure speed cut was working)

I dont rub all the time and not really on bumps just dips. and its the most annoying sound, makes me cringe each time it happens.

At least you dont have to deal with the NY streets down there in GA

Quick Reply: 19's wheels and rubbing issues