Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My whole car is shaking after 40 mph, ive tried everything..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 07:23 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the 40mph vibration go away? Did u check if it was a sticky caliper? Also, maybe new bushings for the rest of the suspension parts.
Old 05-11-10, 07:47 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

try putting in the full lca and uca daizen bushing
Old 05-11-10, 08:32 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Did the 40mph vibration go away? Did u check if it was a sticky caliper? Also, maybe new bushings for the rest of the suspension parts.
I JUST recently had my brakes done with OEM's from a local shop and noticed a slight vibration as well in the 50-65 range that was NOT there... this morning i decided to follow a DIY and take a look since i never had these symptoms before and the shop swears they installed everything correctly after 2 different people in their shop took a look (Whiteys tire on Atlantic ave in NYC Brooklyn) <-idiots!. what i noticed was when i removed the wheel/caliper the inner pad was JAMMED in there. I had to literally use a rubber mallet and a screw driver to knock it out. After looking around i noticed they put the pads on wrong, the pad with the squeal warning thing when you pads are low was placed where the outer pad belongs, and the metal shims that go on top & bottom of each brake pad was incorrectly used, ones a flat end one has a nudge. they used both ends with nudges which is why i had so much trouble removing the pad it was forced in. I did a few high speed runs on a freeway after to see if the vibrations would go away, so far the vibrations are GONE. Check for the pads as well along with what infamous1 said about brake components.
Old 05-11-10, 08:57 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lift the front of your car and move your wheels side to side with your hands. If it shakes than you may need a new set of UCAs. Get underneath to see if anything is bent or any other bushing that may need to be replace. (cracks/tear)

Also check your suspension as well if everything is torq correctly. Things do get out of spec.
Old 06-11-10, 10:22 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
yes ive checked and rechecked and re-rechecked al of the suspension parts including the calipers... looks normal
Old 06-11-10, 10:33 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Default Update!!!!

Update: So.... i just installed the SPC Adjustable UCA's and..... still nothing. Right after i installed them i took it on the freeway, theres a VERY slight difference but still annoying after 60. I havent gotten it aligned after the install but still... not too much different...

My patience has now been lost, and makin more wallet space is no longer an option. I guess i need to go to lexus and let them look at it...

Any other suggestions? I feel like ive tried Everything!!

BTW: ive noticed a couple things. When i put my rear wheels on, they don't really sit that flush against the rotor hub. Also, when i take off my front wheels my rotors are a little loose. Could this be part of the problem? Any advice helps before i give a lexus dealership my hard earned mulah... Thanks for looking

PS.. can shocks cause this problem?
Old 06-11-10, 11:28 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

What I've done:
-new hub centric rings
-new lower ball joints
-new front calipers both sides
-new pads on old rotors, then another set of new brake pads and new rotors on all 4 corners
-3 different sets of suspension, Canover air (came with car, broken), new HKS RS, new K sport air suspension
-new front passenger upper A arm
-new OEM 01+ GS front caster arms
-new OEM engine and transmission mounts
-new 19s, OEM 17s with new snow tires, aftermarket 17s with the snow tires and now new all seasons for the aftermarket 17s, all balanced, rebalanced, road force balanced multiple times
-steering rack adjustment

Other than lower ball joint, balancing, and engine and transmission mounts, I've done all the work, took everything apart and made sure everything's tight...

Planning on getting daizen steering rack bushings, but I tried contacting all dealers listed on daizen's site, they all don't carry it anymore, I don't want to deal with tm again as last time they went under and now they still don't return emails.

At times it felted like as if it's the drive train itself.... like the drive shafts etc... but when I turn on the highway, I feel the vibration changes rates... maybe axles?

Brought it to Lexus a few times, private mechanics x2+, Kal tire, Fountain tire, Canadian tire, nobody can figure it out...
Old 06-12-10, 01:05 AM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

dang that sux... u been through more then me and still have the same problem? thats unfortunate... Hope we both can find a solution
Old 06-14-10, 09:45 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

My car just started to vibrate after i tucked my 20s so maybe trans mount? Im gonna order that n go from there since i feel it from the back of the car
Old 06-14-10, 10:02 AM
jk7d
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also check the inner tie rods as they are garbage on this vehicle and are prone to slight bends which can cause play.

Last edited by jk7d; 06-14-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-18-10, 10:23 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

My vibration is similar to what was mentioned few seconds of minor vibrations then few seconds of big vibrations. It does feel like it's coming from the back so I thought it could be some mount in the rear...
Old 06-19-10, 02:28 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Has anybody ever taken their car to the shop to find and fix the problem. If so, what did they do? Where did you take it, and how much was it for them to figure it out?
Old 06-19-10, 03:54 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

since you have changed so many items in front of car, have you ever check your rear drive shafts/axles? how about your propeller shaft and flexible coupling? since you lowered your car, maybe somehow one of these items is bent out of shape causing vibrations or make the whole car shakes, good luck!
Old 06-25-10, 10:28 AM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AshburnM3
since you have changed so many items in front of car, have you ever check your rear drive shafts/axles? how about your propeller shaft and flexible coupling? since you lowered your car, maybe somehow one of these items is bent out of shape causing vibrations or make the whole car shakes, good luck!
Thats some good advice. Due to my limited time lately, do you tthink it would financially smart for me to take it to the lexus dealership to check it out? I dont really want to break the bank just for them to tell me whats wrong though. LMK, thanks
Old 06-25-10, 11:38 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same problem on my 430. I had cheap cast 18" wheels and was lowered on h-techs.

I had hunter road force balance done, alignments, checked the wheels, nothing. The car had 44K miles on it roughly.

I upgraded to higher end 20" staggered zones, tein cs2 and had my steering rack pretensioner adjusted by a guy who knew how to do it and how much based on how much the car got lowered. The car rode smooth as silk even at 60mph on target. I had friends comment how smooth the car rode lowered with 20's and a 25 series tire in the rear.

I read through and didnt see where you said you had the pretensioner on the steering rack adjusted. If your car is lowered, the pretensioner should be adjusted to compensate for the difference in ride height. If your running inexpensive wheels, it might be contributing but since it sounds like you ran it with your stockers and the problem was still there.

I know others may have done what I have and still had their problem, but this is what worked for me and what I was told by my mechanic who is a lexus master tech who has his own shop in OC. I trust him and I know many others do as well.

Quick Reply: My whole car is shaking after 40 mph, ive tried everything..