Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

aftermarket ball joint??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 03:49 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket ball joint??

i know lower ball joints have a lower life expectancy thanks to riding low or dumpt. But i what i want to know is does anyone know if there is a aftermarket LBJ that can handle the stress if being low??? i tried to do some searchings on google but nothing showed up

anyone else know anything? or am i gona have to deal with replacing them every so often?
Old 07-04-09, 08:46 PM
TheMirror
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by handoverfi
i know lower ball joints have a lower life expectancy thanks to riding low or dumpt. But i what i want to know is does anyone know if there is a aftermarket LBJ that can handle the stress if being low??? i tried to do some searchings on google but nothing showed up

anyone else know anything? or am i gona have to deal with replacing them every so often?
That's a tough one, and I researched that one myself. I couldn't come up with a tried and true solution to the problem you highlight here. I couldn't find an extra tough ball joint that could be massaged into the suspension. So, from my admittedly noob perspective, its simply a case of finding a good, cheap source of factory LBJs and swapping them out every so often.

-Mirror
Old 07-04-09, 09:38 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

titanium lower ball joint??? would that work if someone designed one? haha
Old 07-04-09, 10:25 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get stock ones and change them out every 50-60 k for gooD maintenance
Old 07-05-09, 07:57 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

well the point wasnt to keep changing the LBJ/s so often. I know you would have to do that for good maintenance, but you see those werent designed to ride dumpt or even low on. Therefore, resulting in a lower life expectany in the ball joint. I was asking for an aftermarket one where its made to drive dumpt And would still be able to use it at a stock height.

i mean its apparent lexus uses weak *** LBJ for something. My rodeo is a 97 and it has over 300k miles and i didnt have to change similar suspension parts on it. What is it tht lexus is doing wrong with these damn LBJ???
Old 07-10-09, 07:40 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

The LBJ is an inherent issue with the 2GS even at stock height.
To mitigate the wear, why not get the appropriate suspension fixes? A RCA will reduce the stress on the LBJ caused be riding low.
Old 07-10-09, 10:31 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

IMO, I say it's because our car is already heavy. It's around 4500-4700 GVWR V6 or V8. And when you slam it or lower it. It would put a good stressful amount of load on the ball joints. If you just imagine, you, yourself. Carrying a heavy load back pack and walk with your knees bent (like a lowered car); your legs would wear out fast. If that makes sense.