Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The Battle of the Chassis Braces!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 10:02 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Battle of the Chassis Braces!!

So...like the subject says. Since the F-Sport chassis brace came out, more people have been getting that than the Tom's or Jun chassis braces. First off, F-Sport is cheapest of the bunch, but which is the best complement to the car for handling? Although, since the F-Sport line came out, seems like less people have been getting chassis braces in general. I would think of getting it to help in balancing the weight, Front and Rear, and to help in handling. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but this thread is for people to post their experiences with the different braces and to compare the three!

Tom's Rear Chassis Brace $552.00

Jun-TW Rear Chassis Brace $563.87

F-Sport Rear Chassis Brace $255.00
Old 06-29-09, 10:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stonefan52
So...like the subject says. Since the F-Sport chassis brace came out, more people have been getting that than the Tom's or Jun chassis braces. First off, F-Sport is cheapest of the bunch, but which is the best complement to the car for handling? Although, since the F-Sport line came out, seems like less people have been getting chassis braces in general. I would think of getting it to help in balancing the weight, Front and Rear, and to help in handling. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but this thread is for people to post their experiences with the different braces and to compare the three!

Tom's Rear Chassis Brace $552.00

Jun-TW Rear Chassis Brace $563.87

F-Sport Rear Chassis Brace $255.00

Unless you're on a track, on properly adjusted coilovers, on slicks, none of them is likely to make a measurable difference.

I'm sure you'll get several "feel" replies... I doubt you'll get any that showed a real, measured, improvement of any kind though in street use.
Old 06-29-09, 03:08 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

^^^

Btw listen to Kurtz he tends to know what he is talkin about,
and to add one more comment to his, these chassis braces also add more weight to your car
Old 06-29-09, 07:16 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Unless you're on a track, on properly adjusted coilovers, on slicks, none of them is likely to make a measurable difference.

I'm sure you'll get several "feel" replies... I doubt you'll get any that showed a real, measured, improvement of any kind though in street use.
I don't see why coilovers wouldn't make a difference on the street.. are you comparing coilovers vs stock or coilovers vs aftermarket springs?
Old 06-29-09, 07:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
I don't see why coilovers wouldn't make a difference on the street.. are you comparing coilovers vs stock or coilovers vs aftermarket springs?
Uh, I wasn't commenting on coilovers at all.

I was commenting on all the other things you'd need to do to the car first before you'd have any chance of measuring any effect from a chassis brace.
Old 06-29-09, 07:56 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by Kurtz

I have the F-sport brace, and I will agree with Kurtz's statement.

The overall rear feel is a little tighter, but I honestly don't think it's worth the $300+ new (not considering the massive GB that sewell has).

BTW, no measurements here. And, yes, a feel could be good in one situation but make things worse depending on condition.
Old 06-30-09, 07:52 AM
edwin907
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove/rode in a very nice IS250 with JIC coilovers, PS2s, F-Sport sways, immediately before and after installation of the F-Sport brace and the impression is that the rear felt just perceptively more "planted". The difference was very sllight, but it was tighter on switchbacks.
A minor incremental improvement for sure, but with all the above components that IS has superlative handling.

This is exactly the setup I'm installing on my IS350 (if I ever get a day off!).
Old 06-30-09, 08:59 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It's funny how so many people say that the braces make the rear feel more planted. Why would anyone want to make a car that has such massive understeer have even more? What we need is something that makes the FRONT more planted so it doesn't handle like such a turd.
Old 06-30-09, 09:21 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
It's funny how so many people say that the braces make the rear feel more planted. Why would anyone want to make a car that has such massive understeer have even more? What we need is something that makes the FRONT more planted so it doesn't handle like such a turd.
This is the truth. The rear of the car is already stuck like glue. It's the front that plows like an agricultural implement. If there were a magic way to move 100 lbs from the front or at least move it from front to back, the car would truly be FAR better. The saddest truth is the IS-F is even worse for weight distribution, but thankfully the suspension is enough better that it doesn't plow nearly as bad as the ISx50. Here's the bad news for the F:

Old 06-30-09, 10:04 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Here's the bad news for the F:

Wow....I didn't know the IS-F was out 15 years ago.......it's a classic now

Seriously, though, in my opinion the rear being planted helps give a better feel when hitting bumps mid turn, compared to other cars I drive (ie- trucks/mustangs/other solid rear axle vehicles) where the rear end seems to bounce and knock the car off track in the middle of a turn.

Obviously, IRS vs solid rear will make a bigger difference than the brace though.
Old 06-30-09, 11:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Wow....I didn't know the IS-F was out 15 years ago.......it's a classic now

Seriously, though, in my opinion the rear being planted helps give a better feel when hitting bumps mid turn, compared to other cars I drive (ie- trucks/mustangs/other solid rear axle vehicles) where the rear end seems to bounce and knock the car off track in the middle of a turn.

Obviously, IRS vs solid rear will make a bigger difference than the brace though.
In my experience, most of the performance oriented tradeoffs in suspension tuning do result in poor feel over bumps regardless of whether the vehicle is turning or going straight.
Old 06-30-09, 01:28 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

LOL...Time for a software upgrade? Maybe? That weight is sad! This explains why none of my coilovers are at the same adjustment in height. I thought is was due to diff. sag rates but its the extra 50lbs on the left rear.
Old 06-30-09, 01:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

A 243lb driver driver And he can fit in an IS

Lou
Old 06-30-09, 02:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
A 243lb driver driver And he can fit in an IS

Lou
Why yes, I can. With a helmet even. When you spread it out over 6' 2" it's not so bad. I'm also working on that project. Down to 224 this morning, and still about 50 lbs to go. It might take a minute or two.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-30-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 02:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by HKS350
LOL...Time for a software upgrade? Maybe? That weight is sad! This explains why none of my coilovers are at the same adjustment in height. I thought is was due to diff. sag rates but its the extra 50lbs on the left rear.
Apparently no one has bothered to set the date and time on the scale at Roebling Road. It was actually about 11:30 am on May 2nd, 2009. I'll have to see if I can set it right when I go back in November.

Quick Reply: The Battle of the Chassis Braces!!