Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clearance problem with TRD front strut tower bar install...

Old 04-01-02, 10:43 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance problem with TRD front strut tower bar install...

Hello, there!

I just got a brand new shining TRD FSTB.

I tried to install it, but ran into a problem: the bar does not fit.
Only one end of it can be set in place (on 3 bolts on the strut tower): the other end does not clear the bolts by ~1/4 inch.

I am at loss here. The car did not have any cargo in it, and it was standing in my garage on a level surface, so I think that distortion has nothing to do with it. I even tried to jack one side of the car up to see if it made a difference (it hadn't).

I expected this to be a straight bolt-in with no problems, but was unpleasantly surprised.

Any suggestions / feed back is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-02, 03:24 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Vlad, this happened to another member with a 430 (who's on Guam?? I've forgotten......) and he sent the bar back to Steve Ganz (SupraTRD), who in turn, was going to investigate and get back with all of us. This was a couple of months ago and I haven't seen anything since.

Hopefully this thread will spur some interest. Sorry I don't have more info, but wanted to let you know the problem is neither the car or the installer.........
Old 04-02-02, 05:30 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

VladStein:

The person Mooretorque is referring to is me. I have the TRD STB on a 2001 GS430. You would need to remove the plastic engine cover to fit the TRD STB. I later purchased the Tom's STB because I was told it would clear the engine cover which it didn't. I had to return the Tom's STB and currently have the TRD STB without the engine cover. The Tom's STB can be used with the engine cover on if you purchase 2 more STB spacer on each tower.

Hopes that helps.

Following are the links to the threads concerning the STB on a GS430.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=29339

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=38494&

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=38494&

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 04-02-02 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-02-02, 08:33 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies, but....

ChuH,
May be I should have made this a little clearer: the engine cover is NOT an issue (it's been taken off). The issue is the fact that the bar would not sit down on the 3 bolts on top of the strut towers. The bolts on either side do not clear the openings in the bar by ~1/4 inch when the other side is "in".

Any feedback on that specifically????

Moreover, it looks like the strut towers have to be "wider" to accept the bar. I suspect I may have the wrong part, but I am not sure if any model besides SUPRA has a wider bar than the GS430.

This is very unusual... Does anyone know if lowering a car (Eibachs) before install is a problem?
Old 04-02-02, 08:46 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

VLAD,

I have the same problem. I got my TRD STB Friday and Saturday tried to mount it and the prongs don't even align.

I know exactly what you mean,you can put one side on fine but when you put the other side on it just doesn't go far enough.

I went to a local dealer to get the part # and it was the right part too.

THE TRD just doesn't fit right.

Ryan
Old 04-02-02, 08:47 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Oh by the way,

My car is previously lowered with EIBACHS so It may be the case. I'm looking at the toms and UGO bars this Friday

Ryan
Old 04-02-02, 12:31 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Vlad,

Oops sorry one more time, I have just researched that when mounting the TRD STB, you may have to have your car jacked which gives you the necessary clearance to plug the STB onto your car.

So, try jacking up the car a bit (both fronts) just a little bit so the shocks give and then mount the STB, It should clear

Ryan
Old 04-02-02, 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

What you're seeing is the reason to get the STB in the first place: chassis FLEX. The car is flexing which means you can't get the STB in place. It's not an STB problem. You need to jack up the car on one side or both to flex the chassis back in place.

But that brings up a question, if the flex occurs enough to make the STB not sit right, then the car may well need a re-alignment after putting the STB on.
Old 04-02-02, 03:33 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the replies, sincerely...

Chassis flex makes sense: I just don't expect the car to flex that much.... 1/4 inch. Can you guys imagine what the hood gaps look like with the car jacked up and the hood closed? They must be huge!

In the name of science, though, I will jack the car up tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Old 04-02-02, 10:51 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Jacked the car up (both sides), untill the wheels were off the ground and the bar went straight into place.
SUCCESS!

May be this was due to chassis flex, may be this was due to the fact that the 3 bolts on each side were more recessed (because the wheels were up in the air), may be a little bit of both.

The steering now feels more communicative (transmitting more road feel to driver's hands). I guess, I'll feel the benefits when the anti-roll bars are installed.

Thanks, everybody!
Old 04-02-02, 11:07 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Now you should also to get a TRD LCB (Lower Chassis Brace) or Tom's LCB to replace the whimpy stock LCB.

Chu...