Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Oem rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 07:00 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oem rotor replacement

Are all rotors created equal? (Keeping everything constant such as style; i.e. x-drilled/slotted/plain)

There are many manufacturers out there such as:

-Brembo
-Power Stop
-Powerslot
-R1 Concepts (ebay)
-irotors (ebay)

Do any of these REALLY make a noticable difference from the others? If not I'm just going to go with the least expensive ones as replacement.

What's your take on this?
Old 06-22-09, 09:17 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

the difference is just build quality + corrosion protection.

I have brembo blanks on stand by and i masked + painted the rotor matte black with bbq paint (rated 1200 degrees)

ill post pics when i have time.
Old 06-22-09, 11:04 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM for me, just got done with the install last night
Old 06-23-09, 09:28 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i'd just get some cheap rotors and paint the rotor hat portion some kind of anti corrosion paint.
i did it for my nissan 240sx and it was perfect. looks cool too with gold tophats
Old 06-24-09, 12:26 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...just picked up 4 x-drilled/slotted Premium rotors from R1Concepts. They use the same grade materials as brembo and use a special black anti-rust coating. Got them for $310/shipped to my door plus $115/shipped for my Akebono ProAct ceramic pads. Haven't installed anything yet though.
Old 06-26-09, 09:41 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got me some of these. i've read only positive testimonials about the pads. as far as rotors, i've read that people have had good experiences with the so called cheap ebay brakes. we shall see. http://cgi.ebay.com/98-05-Lexus-GS30...3A1%7C294%3A30

is there a DIY somewhere on how to do this job? i usually bring it to my mechanic, but man im feeling this recession!
Old 06-26-09, 04:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Mountaineers (something like that) makes OEM for LEXUS.
Old 06-26-09, 08:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's Mountain. My friend bought a set of their rotors. I think you may be able to buy them cheaper than from the lexus dealer.
Old 06-28-09, 06:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

u shoulda got rotora rotors they work very well and look good
Old 06-28-09, 08:09 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
u shoulda got rotora rotors they work very well and look good
Well, like everything else I researched the HELL out of all different oem sized rotors and found that 90% of the "Ebay" rotors are made of a lesser grade metal as compared to Brembo and Rotora including irotors and R1 Concepts rotors.

However, I got the premium rotors (NOT listed on Ebay) directly from the R1 Concepts website...where they sell everything from the Brembo BBK to Rotora to el cheapo types. The premium rotors that I picked up exactly mimick the materials, construction and machining process as Brembo. Of course, I had to check out the Brembo site and research their materials, construction and machining process and it was on par with what the guy from R1 Concepts indicated to me. I'm sure I'll be fine with them as I didn't want to dump anymore money unnecessarily into the car.

If all is the same or similar as far as the rotors go the main difference in braking comes from the rotor size (surface area) and the calipers. If there are two rotors side by side with the same type and process of machining you will not be able to visually tell which brand is which brand.
Old 06-28-09, 09:01 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just gor Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors with hawk hps pads and they look great and stop wayyyy better than stock brakes. O I also got the SS lines, I know that helps a bunch too ...
Old 07-13-09, 12:35 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

you gotta go big brake to get real stopping power...i'm currently about to change to 8 piston fronts and 4 rear...plus it will fill the hold in your rims better..lol
Old 07-13-09, 12:51 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black_gs99
you gotta go big brake to get real stopping power...i'm currently about to change to 8 piston fronts and 4 rear...plus it will fill the hold in your rims better..lol
Not true. BBK is more for fade resistance than anything else. Stopping power comes from pad material and piston size. But the biggest factor is the tire compound which will determine your road contact. I'd bet that a supra TT brake kit install on a 2GS equipped with Hoosier R6 will out brake any BBK out there with regular all season tire.
Old 07-14-09, 06:50 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

well I bought some super cheap rotors $35/rear $39/front each. that's Canadian dollars which comes out to about $135US for four rotors. Drove about 600miles last weekend and so far so good. Did some high speed romps and reasonably quick stops and everything is still good. I am using Toyota OEM pads all around. I figured I will take a chance on cheap rotors and see if they last me a couple of years. I am willing to change them out every two years and they would still be cheaper than OEM's or expensive aftermarket ones.

I have not noticed any difference in performance between the cheap rotors and the original OEM's. Actually the new ones are a bit better because the OEM had a slight warp in them!
Old 07-14-09, 09:06 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

im thinking to do my brakes soon too, i agree about the recession comment but also i feel safer doing it myself.. anyone else feel that way? lol.. think ill get lifetime wuaranty pads from autozone and some cheap rotors.. sounds like easiest route.. i don't know how but bought car w 30k miles (certified by Toyota) now has 105K on it... NEVER changed brakes! is that normal?

Quick Reply: Oem rotor replacement