Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

To rebuild calipers or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 04:13 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To rebuild calipers or replace?

Well I have 2 sticking calipers, the rear passengers side and the front drivers side is sticking. I'm debating on whether or not to purchase new calipers or rebuild them. Anyone rebuild their calipers?
Old 06-05-09, 04:26 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

if you got a garage and tools,then rebuild them.If not then replace them.

rebuilt-$17.00 messy!

replace-$80 + faster

they are easy to rebuild. You only change 2 seals on each side i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIVWoYy0ug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8-0RcyFpc

Last edited by LEX_MAN; 06-05-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 05:17 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
if you got a garage and tools,then rebuild them.If not then replace them.

rebuilt-$17.00 messy!

replace-$80 + faster

they are easy to rebuild. You only change 2 seals on each side i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIVWoYy0ug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8-0RcyFpc
Well I dont have a garage but I do have nice big drive way with a garage being built at the end of it lol, I do have a nice work space in basebment though. I have many many tools, anything special that I would need to purchase tools wise?

Also if I rebuild them I plan on replacing the pistons as well.
Old 06-05-09, 06:54 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

OEM SC300, I really dont have any desire to make the SC300 super fast so the OEM brakes are fine for me. I have a S2000 as my project car, the SC is my daily driver
Old 06-05-09, 07:53 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Brakes are good for DD. What if someone slams their brakes while you are behind me. A simple break caliper upgrade can save you money in a rear end collision.
I hear ya, but honestly the price to replace all 4 calipers with something other than OEM is not worth it to me, the OEM calipers have gone 180k without a single accident or issue..............I know anything can happen, but I would rather take my chances with something that has gone a ton of miles. I feel comfortable with good OEM brakes and dont see a need to upgrade to BBK or the LS set. If I ever decide to tail gate someone or do performance modes then I would consider the investment.
Old 06-05-09, 09:59 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are good for DD. What if someone slams their brakes while you are behind me. A simple break caliper upgrade can save you money in a rear end collision.
Why are you so determined to make him buy new brakes? lol
Old 06-05-09, 10:33 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Their are soo many times in stop and go traffic that i would love to have better brakes. You never know when someone is going to slam their brakes and you know the law; a rear end is always your fault. But their are a lot of times when its just unrealistic to keep that much distance.

Its just like why bothering spending money on crappy brakes when right now is the perfect time to upgrade.
Dont forget you drive in CA and I drive in MA (not boston area).............2 total different driving conditions, where I drive our rush hour is less congested than your slow day, there has not been a time in recent memory that I could not keep atleast 4 cars between myself and the next car. Not to mention ever since my buddy was killed by a stupid *** speeder I dont fly around anymore........hell just the other day I called cops on GS doing atleast 60 in my neighborhood............there is no room in this world for stupid people to fly around a quiet neighborhood with kids. On a side note the dude got arrested down the street and his car towed, I was so happy (he was either caught speeding by the cop or something else, but he was arrested none the less). If you want fly around go to the track or on a completely dead highway.....not in a neighborhood, rant over lol.

Thanks for the suggestion but to me it is a waste of money to upgrade the brakes on the SC. At this point I dont want to put much more into the SC because it is just not worth it, I have already put more into the car than its worth. I use the SC for daily driving along with my Caddy or Tuscon.............I just like the look of the SC thats why I choose to keep it maintained and drive it, oh and its only $550 a year to insure LOL.

I would much rather put more into my S2000 than into my 300 at this point.

Back on topic, what is the best way to get 12 years of rust off the calipers?

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 06-05-09 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 10:02 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

If you want it done the right way then here :http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=520550

I've never tried it so i'm not sure i can help you doing this,but it seems to be a great way of removing rust.

BTW if you are buying new pistons then you might as well buy rebuilt calipers bro.Unless you like to work on cars and feel good afterwards
Old 06-06-09, 11:09 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
If you want it done the right way then here :http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=520550

I've never tried it so i'm not sure i can help you doing this,but it seems to be a great way of removing rust.

BTW if you are buying new pistons then you might as well buy rebuilt calipers bro.Unless you like to work on cars and feel good afterwards
Honestly I really enjoy working on anything that I can learn about. As a kid I would **** apart to see how it worked then put it back together, I really enjoy doing it lol. Also I can get the pistons crazy cheap.
Old 06-22-09, 08:20 AM
spin all 4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock up with a couple cans of brake clean before you start, you'll need some paper towels as well, some high temp brake lube (small package comes with the rebuild kit if you buy it from lexus, but I can't remember if it was enough), some brake pad anti squeal, new brake fluid, and access to a bench vise is nice.

I use compressed air to blow out the pistons. In the front where there are 2, I use a board in place of the rotor to allow both pistons to come out at the same time (if you don't use something 1 piston will always blow out first).

Once the pistons are out, flush the crap out of the inside of the caliper where the piston goes, and the fluid passages. Wipe out the crap with paper towels. I used the bench vice to squeeze the old seals for the guide pins (bolts the calipers slide back and forth on), once those were out I cleaned them out thoroughly with brake clean as well. Q tips work prefect for this. Check the piston for rust, as long as it doesn't have rust on the inside that rides in the bore, you should not need to replace it. Clean your parts all down with brake clean 1 last time, including the pistons, then use some new brake fluid to lube the pistons, pop the new seals in, pop the new dust boot on and press the new guide pin seals in & apply the lube to them. Put anti squeal on the pads and put the caliper back on the car. Bleed with fresh fluid thoroughly (until there are no more bubbles and fresh amber fluid comes out).