Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Rotor and Brake Pads is it under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 02:52 PM
Bullskim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotor and Brake Pads is it under warranty?

I have a 2007 IS250 with 29,000 miles on it. its been 1 year and 10 months. My brake started squeaking, so i got it checked and they said i need to replace my brake pads and brake rotors and it will cost a total of 650 for both sides. This is the dealer so i know its extra expensive, does anyone know how much i can get it for at a regualr place? Also it is not under warrenty right? Lastly how often do you have to change brake pads or rotors? Am i on the right track? I heard it usually takes like 50k miles or so.

Last edited by Bullskim; 05-19-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-19-09, 03:01 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO, this is not a warrantable item. It's wear n tear, only certain car companies will pick up these types of costs (BMW, VW, etc) Your pads and rotors wearing out at 29k isn't completely normal but then again it isn't unheard of. I've seen pads n rotors go out in 18k miles. and some last up to 60k miles. It's all driving habits and usage of vehicle. $650 for both sides isn't too bad, but an independent will definitely be cheaper. What part of CA are you in? Perhaps I can refer you to some great shops
Old 05-19-09, 03:08 PM
l3randonki
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
NO, this is not a warrantable item. It's wear n tear, only certain car companies will pick up these types of costs (BMW, VW, etc) Your pads and rotors wearing out at 29k isn't completely normal but then again it isn't unheard of. I've seen pads n rotors go out in 18k miles. and some last up to 60k miles. It's all driving habits and usage of vehicle. $650 for both sides isn't too bad, but an independent will definitely be cheaper. What part of CA are you in? Perhaps I can refer you to some great shops
Im in a similar situation as the OP. I live in OC near knotts berry farm. You know any good shops that will give me a good deal?
Old 05-19-09, 03:46 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Nope it's wear and tear.
Old 05-19-09, 05:28 PM
Pmach
Rookie

Now are the brakes squeeking becuase the squeeler(s) are touching the rotor(s) or something to do with the material in the pads? How much percentage (they usually measure in mm) is left on the pads? If the pads are worn then yes as stated by the users above it's wear and tear.
Old 05-19-09, 05:39 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Your best bet is to order the the rotors and pads from say lexus of pembroke pines and do the labor yourself. The OEM rotors left and right along with pads will run about $240+shipping altogether and save yourself a lot of money. It takes about an hour or so. Once you learn to do it, you're set. Think of it this way, lets just say you'll drive your car for 150,000 miles before it dies you and you change your rotors and pads every 30000 miles. That's 4 times you're going to end up changing them. Let's saying shipping's $20. $260x4=$1040 + 4 hours of self labor versus say $600 for the dealer to do itwhich totals out to $2400. Besides even if a shop charges you say...$80 to do it, that's $320 you coulda spent on say...an intake

Just my two cents. If you don't know how to do it, ask a friend or something. I had a friend who's a mechanic that taught me and did the work for me for a cup of coffee.
Old 05-19-09, 06:55 PM
Bullskim
Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
Your best bet is to order the the rotors and pads from say lexus of pembroke pines and do the labor yourself. The OEM rotors left and right along with pads will run about $240+shipping altogether and save yourself a lot of money. It takes about an hour or so. Once you learn to do it, you're set. Think of it this way, lets just say you'll drive your car for 150,000 miles before it dies you and you change your rotors and pads every 30000 miles. That's 4 times you're going to end up changing them. Let's saying shipping's $20. $260x4=$1040 + 4 hours of self labor versus say $600 for the dealer to do itwhich totals out to $2400. Besides even if a shop charges you say...$80 to do it, that's $320 you coulda spent on say...an intake

Just my two cents. If you don't know how to do it, ask a friend or something. I had a friend who's a mechanic that taught me and did the work for me for a cup of coffee.

oh ok nice input =DD, however do you know any online sites where i can get both the front rotors and pads for good price?? thx
Old 05-19-09, 07:21 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, racepages dot com is great. That's where I bought my rotors and Lexus of Westminster is where I bought the pads. The guy at Westminster is one of our vendors too so he'll get a good price on the pads.
Old 05-19-09, 07:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I don't know why everytime someone needs to replace their brake pads, they are told to change the rotors as well. Am I missing something? I always thought they only need to be replaced if they are damaged in some way. So how can they be damaged if the brake pads are worn out? Don't you just replace the pads and you're good to go?

I did the front brakes yesterday on our RX350 and it was the easiest thing I've ever done, except from adding fluids. It's actually easier than an oil change and that's not even hard at all. The pads were about $55 from Sewell and then some minor expenses for a C-clamp, brake quiet grease and a can of Brake Kleen
Old 05-19-09, 11:44 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

find a reliable mechanic and have him do it for you....
Old 05-20-09, 06:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,855 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I don't know why everytime someone needs to replace their brake pads, they are told to change the rotors as well. Am I missing something? I always thought they only need to be replaced if they are damaged in some way. So how can they be damaged if the brake pads are worn out? Don't you just replace the pads and you're good to go?

I did the front brakes yesterday on our RX350 and it was the easiest thing I've ever done, except from adding fluids. It's actually easier than an oil change and that's not even hard at all. The pads were about $55 from Sewell and then some minor expenses for a C-clamp, brake quiet grease and a can of Brake Kleen
The dealer is always going to tell you rotors and pads so they don't have to decide if you need them, they'll just charge you for them and call it a day. Realistically, no, you don't need rotors and pads at the same time on most cars, including the 2IS models. The service writer is just covering his bets so he doesn't have to call you and say, oh, BTW, your rotors are shot too and that will be another $300+ for parts.
Old 05-20-09, 08:04 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bullskim
I have a 2007 IS250 with 29,000 miles on it. its been 1 year and 10 months. My brake started squeaking, so i got it checked and they said i need to replace my brake pads and brake rotors and it will cost a total of 650 for both sides. This is the dealer so i know its extra expensive, does anyone know how much i can get it for at a regualr place? Also it is not under warrenty right? Lastly how often do you have to change brake pads or rotors? Am i on the right track? I heard it usually takes like 50k miles or so.
Your brakes really should not have worn out that quickly - Check the TSIBs for brake sqeaking to see if it applies to your vehicle, I believe there is one for the front AND rear brakes now. The TSIB repair is covered under warranty.
Old 05-20-09, 09:52 AM
D.Steezy
Rookie

My car has 24k on it and they are starting to squeek as well. I took it to lexus and they said pads usually only last 15-30k on the IS. WTF?!?!!?!
Old 08-11-09, 09:38 AM
kia562
Driver School Candidate

What is the TSIB repair? Is it covered under warranty? My 2008 is 250 with 17k miles states need new brakes and rotars, I have no sqeaking and not a hard driver with braking. I have lots of dust o the frt wheels appears pads must be semi metallic, is there anyway to tell if brakes are ceramic or semi metallic?
Thanks
Go Gators!
Old 08-11-09, 10:17 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Your brakes really should not have worn out that quickly - Check the TSIBs for brake sqeaking to see if it applies to your vehicle, I believe there is one for the front AND rear brakes now. The TSIB repair is covered under warranty.
The TSB (now referred to as LSB's) isn't for prematurely worn brake pads and rotors. It's for resolving customer complaints regarding excessive dust. The resolution just happens to be new brake pads of a different composition. If your brake pads are wearing out too fast, it's because of your driving habits. There's even a sticker that comes on the car that specifically says that this car will experience greater brake and tire wear than a typical sedan. I've seen people go through new brake pads on the 2IS in 15,000 miles.

Javier

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor and Brake Pads is it under warranty?