Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ppl w/ HKS Hipermax III CLX, pls chime in

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 02:20 PM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ppl w/ HKS Hipermax III CLX, pls chime in

I'm debating to buy HKS Hipermax III CLX or Tein CST. Anyone who has try both of them or either one, pls share your ride experience as compare to stock. I'm looking for stock/luxury feeling.

Thanks
Old 05-14-09, 08:54 AM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pls, no one.....
Old 05-14-09, 09:02 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

for stock/luxury feeling, don't get coilovers. keep your stock suspension
Old 05-14-09, 09:12 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm debating the same thing right now. I've been hearing that HKS is higher quality, lighter, more performance oriented but balances comfort and handling rather well. This is appealing to me because I have to pass the wife test.

On the other side, Tein can be adjustable on the fly if you buy the EDFC module, so that could work as well. My guess is, once you factor in the cost for EDFC + installation, the HKS and the Tein are pretty similar in price.

And Yes, EDFC doesn't make sense for people who are going to set-it-and-forget-it, but I will be changing mine at least weekly I would imagine.
Old 05-14-09, 10:04 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my run of suspensions that I had.

1. Tein CS-T, 2. Tanabe Sustec Five, 3. SWIFT Springs on Stock shocks, 4. HKS Hipermax III CLX.

If you are looking for the stock luxury feeling, the TEIN CS-T isn't going to give it to you. it'll come close, but no dice. I tried many different dampening settings, your not going to get that feel back. It's a nice suspension, don't get me wrong. There is alot of "TEIN Groupies" out there.

I can tell you hands down, the HKS Hipermax III is definitely "UP" there in quality and ride. I LOVE my HKS coilovers. It's smooth and luxurious. But with smooth and luxurious you don't get the handling like some other suspensions out there. 5kg all around is VERY soft.

I'm only telling you from my experience, I am not comparing these to other very high marked suspensions out there. As I had no experience with those.

HKS FTW.
Old 05-17-09, 05:12 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HKS does make a very nice setup for the Lexus applications.
Old 01-10-11, 09:57 AM
clemz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
This is my run of suspensions that I had.

1. Tein CS-T, 2. Tanabe Sustec Five, 3. SWIFT Springs on Stock shocks, 4. HKS Hipermax III CLX.

If you are looking for the stock luxury feeling, the TEIN CS-T isn't going to give it to you. it'll come close, but no dice. I tried many different dampening settings, your not going to get that feel back. It's a nice suspension, don't get me wrong. There is alot of "TEIN Groupies" out there.

I can tell you hands down, the HKS Hipermax III is definitely "UP" there in quality and ride. I LOVE my HKS coilovers. It's smooth and luxurious. But with smooth and luxurious you don't get the handling like some other suspensions out there. 5kg all around is VERY soft.

I'm only telling you from my experience, I am not comparing these to other very high marked suspensions out there. As I had no experience with those.

HKS FTW.
how's 3. SWIFT Springs on Stock shocks versus 4. HKS Hipermax III CLX ?
Old 01-10-11, 04:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

HKS spring rate is very soft. It almost mimics the OEM spring in terms of overall stiffness. It's definitely what you're looking for if you want coilovers that ride like stock. I had the pleasure to ride in an IS350 with HKS coils and they are really nice. The owner previously had BC Racing coilovers (8k/6k spring rates) but swapped them out. He liked the HKS ride better, but then again, it's almost twice the cost.

Haven't had any experience with the Tein CST in the IS, but if it's like any other application, the CST is slightly stiffer than stock, but is still very comfortable.