Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing LS400 calipers on my GS300

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 03:35 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgamz
what are RCA's? I shaved the bolt and took a little off the caliper too.

Adam, if you've still got the wheel off would you mind taking a pic of how much you had to take off the bolt and caliper? I'd like to do the LS400's as a budget BBK, I might have go for it if I know a little better what I'm getting into! My rotors are warped and I'm trying to convince myself that it's justification to upgrade!
Old 05-13-09, 03:41 PM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the modification you did to the caliper and the bolt? I'm insterested to see how much you cut. Even if you don't have any pictures be a nice guy and jack it back up will ya

I was wondering which rotor you have too. it looks pretty tight.
Old 05-14-09, 04:20 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Nice work....I gotta do mines too...its been sitting in the garage for months.

Ever considered changing to SS brake lines?

Btw...the calipers looks like it might rub against your rotor top hats....are these new slat/drilled rotors for LS400 or GS300?

Pete
Hey Pete, I have everything apart as my ball joints and tie rods are on the way, I'm pretty sure the top hats don't rub the caliper but I'll take a close look when I get it back together again. I'm pretty sure I bought LS400 rotors to match the calipers, it's been over a year so I don't remember clearly.
Old 05-14-09, 04:26 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Right now my car is on all 4 wheels on the lift has I pulled the R154 tranny last Sunday, I should be able to find time to work on it this weken and take pics then.
Old 05-14-09, 10:22 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Right now my car is on all 4 wheels on the lift has I pulled the R154 tranny last Sunday, I should be able to find time to work on it this weken and take pics then.
That would be great! I've been searching and can't find a good pic of what needs to be done to make these fit.
Old 05-14-09, 11:46 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Pete, I have everything apart as my ball joints and tie rods are on the way, I'm pretty sure the top hats don't rub the caliper but I'll take a close look when I get it back together again. I'm pretty sure I bought LS400 rotors to match the calipers, it's been over a year so I don't remember clearly.
Easy way to find out....measure the diameter of the rotors.

OEM LS400 rotor diameter is a bit over 12", while the OEM 2GS rotor diameter is under 12"...something like 11.5".

Pete
Old 05-14-09, 02:25 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
That would be great! I've been searching and can't find a good pic of what needs to be done to make these fit.
I did an LS400 brake upgrade on JAWNTHEN's car 4 years ago and I don't have a good pic of what's been done either. I basically shaved the bolt slightly with a dremel. The interference will vary from car to car since it all depends on the position of the nut.

Here's a pic of the finished job.

Go to these two links for more info I posted about modding to get clearance:

see post # 9 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tt-brakes.html

and this post for additional discussions:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-upgrades.html

Old 05-16-09, 06:05 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Easy way to find out....measure the diameter of the rotors.

OEM LS400 rotor diameter is a bit over 12", while the OEM 2GS rotor diameter is under 12"...something like 11.5".

Pete
Only one ball joint came in fom Rock Auto, still waiting on two tie rods and another ball joint. The rotors measure 12 3/8", as I thought they're LS400 rotors to match the calipers.
Old 05-16-09, 09:16 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of curiosity, how much of a difference does this make, compared to say the TT upgrade?

Is it safe to assume that the Master and/or brake booster are not the same on both cars since the LS uses different calipers?

If that's the case, won't that throw off the brake bias, making the brakes act differently, maybe prematurely locking up or giving you weird brake pedal feel?

Just curious.

And will these brakes fit with stock 17's?
Old 05-23-09, 06:56 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

I think it will be similar to the TT brakes but we'll see. Today was a nightmare, I decided to install my new ball joints / tie rods and brakes. Got the driver side done and I got some good pics, funny thing on the driver side, maybe it was the ball joints I bought but I torqued the crown nut down to 67 ft lbs as the manual calls for and the cotter pin hole was a good 3 mm above the crown nut, I wound up grinding down the stud to the crown nut to get the LS400 caliper to fit, then I drilled a new cotter pin hole in the correct position. That went well, then I pushed the GS off the lift, turned it around then pushed it back on the lift the opposite way. This is when things got hairy, My car came from up north and was on the salty roads, with the driver side front I had to use a puller to get the rotor off, but it came off without too much trouble. The passanger side today however was a different story. I got the caliper bolt out with a big breaker bar, then I spent about 6 hours trying to get the rotor off! I tried using my puller, but I just ripped out the corroded puller threads, then I drilled the threads deeper and retapped, I wound up bending my puller bolts, after a trip to ACE hardware for some grade 8 bolts, I bent my puller and seized up the main shaft. I went to Auto Zone and picked up a new puller, but snapped the grade 8 bolt while using an impact gun trying to pull the rotor. Finally it was down to 2 options, get a torch or cut the rotor off, I didn't have a torch so I decided to start cutting the rotor. It took awhile but it's off now. What a PITA. I'll finish up the brakes / ball joints / tie rod tomorrow on the passanger side, I was way too tired and worn out to keep going today.

Last edited by adamgamz; 05-23-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-23-09, 09:07 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it will be similar to the TT brakes but we'll see. Today was a nightmare, I decided to install my new ball joints / tie rods and brakes. Got the driver side done and I got some good pics, funny thing on the driver side, maybe it was the ball joints I bought but I torqued the crown nut down to 67 ft lbs as the manual calls for and the cotter pin hole was a good 3 mm above the crown nut, I wound up grinding down the stud to the crown nut to get the LS400 caliper to fit, then I drilled a new cotter pin hole in the correct position. That went well, then I pushed the GS off the lift, turned it around then pushed it back on the lift the opposite way. This is when things got hairy, My car came from up north and was on the salty roads, with the driver side front I had to use a puller to get the rotor off, but it came off without too much trouble. The passanger side today however was a different story. I got the caliper bolt out with a big breaker bar, then I spent about 6 hours trying to get the rotor off! I tried using my puller, but I just ripped out the corroded puller threads, then I drilled the threads deeper and retapped, I wound up bending my puller bolts, after a trip to ACE hardware for some grade 8 bolts, I bent my puller and seized up the main shaft. I went to Auto Zone and picked up a new puller, but snapped the grade 8 bolt while using an impact gun trying to pull the rotor. Finally it was down to 2 options, get a torch or cut the rotor off, I didn't have a torch so I decided to start cutting the rotor. It took awhile but it's off now. What a PITA. I'll finish up the brakes / ball joints / tie rod tomorrow on the passanger side, I was way too tired and worn out to keep going today.
Wow...I had the same problem too...after using a sledgehammer for 15 minutes....I finally decided to use my stock jack....placed it vertically within the fenders and a nice thick piece of lumber...and slowly popped the rotors off from behind.
Old 05-24-09, 12:12 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

How many pistons does the LS 400 caliper have? Isn't the GS400 & LS400 have the same calipers?
Old 05-24-09, 12:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

2GS and 1990-1994 LS400 came with 2 piston calipers.

95-2000 LS400 came with 4 pistons.
Old 05-24-09, 06:19 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Wow...I had the same problem too...after using a sledgehammer for 15 minutes....I finally decided to use my stock jack....placed it vertically within the fenders and a nice thick piece of lumber...and slowly popped the rotors off from behind.
yea I didn't even think about that but I did try the sledge hammer for awhile.. good idea, However destroying the rotor after the torture I went through was satisfying. Here are some pics of the bolt that some were asking for.

Last edited by adamgamz; 05-24-09 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-24-09, 09:21 AM
IS@YK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what problems did you run in to. I'm looking to also upgrade but not sure what am i going to encounter

Quick Reply: Installing LS400 calipers on my GS300