Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sage RCA's Installed...Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 01:12 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys.
I am doing this now. How many "lines" on the Tien CS do you guys have it set at. Example. I have mine at 7 lines from bottom and its mega low. lol.

Last edited by cpone; 05-23-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-09, 02:16 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is giving me a head ache haha
Old 05-24-09, 05:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok guys.. I got the adjustable toe arms installed. What a night & day difference between stock & the aftermarket adjustable arms. As you can see from the pics below from my camera phone. As can be seen below, the stock arms has no adjustment bolt..

With the aftermarket arms, the tech was able to dial in the toe angles in the rear freely. My toe in the rear is now 0.09 degrees left & right which is right within specs BUT my camber is now -2.0 L & -1.3 R with center blocks in place left & right Stock specified range on the GS is -1.3, -0.3 for both sides.

The tech told me that this is minimal degree difference that I will not even feel. Well, from my research, -2.0 & -1.3 in the rear is the same rear camber specified range on the new E60 M5.

Alignment Numbers E60 M5:

Left Front & Right Front:
Camber: Specified -1.3 Degrees/Range -0.7 Degrees
Caster: Nothing for Specified or Range
Toe: Specified -0.05/Range 0.12 Degrees
SAI: Specified 14.0 Degrees/Range 15.0 Degrees
Included Angle: Specified 12.6 Degrees/Range 14.3 Degrees
Turning Angle Diff.: Specified -2.33 Degrees/Range -1.33 Degrees

Left & Right Rear: Camber: Specified -2.0 Degrees/Range -1.3 Degrees
Toe: Specified 0.03 Degrees/Range 0.20 Degrees

Seperate Section titled "Front":
Cross Camber: Specified -0.5 Degrees/Range 0.5 Degrees
Cross Caster: Specified -0.5 Degrees/Range 0.5 Degrees
Cross SAI Nothing for Specified or Range Degrees
Total Toe: Specified -0.10 Degrees/Range 0.23 Degrees
Cross Turn Diff.: Specified -0.50/Range 0.50 Degrees

Seperate Section titled "Rear":
Cross Camber: Specified -0.5 Degrees/Range 0.5 Degrees
Total Toe: Specified 0.07 Degrees/Range 0.40 Degrees
Trust Angle: Specified -0.20 Degrees/Range 0.20 Degrees

Some side notes: These specs are based on the Standard 19" M5 US Wheel
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...tml#post854387
After all was said and done. my car drive even better than before. The steering is on center and the car corners so much better than before. I am very pleased.. Pics of the car to come once I detail it.
Old 05-24-09, 11:27 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Nice update.... now give me a link to them hahha seriously ... i dink imma go ahead and give myself a early father's day gift and buy them RCA and rear toe adjuster... wait i still need new tires dam it lol... oh well, good lookin up on the update tho
Old 05-24-09, 06:14 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
Nice update.... now give me a link to them hahha seriously ... i dink imma go ahead and give myself a early father's day gift and buy them RCA and rear toe adjuster... wait i still need new tires dam it lol... oh well, good lookin up on the update tho
The toe arms were delivered by stork PM me if you want the link.
Old 05-24-09, 10:26 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

pmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-09, 11:26 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi guys, I thought I would chime in as the Gen2 GS and IS300 are nearly identical setups and I have a control arm replacement for the rear right now and I am currently working on a NON ride-height affecting front RCA system with camber adjustment to resolve the issues that you are talking about.

I spent 1 year of road testing for the rear control arms and I offer two versions depending on what type of plans you have for the car. I am actually getting ready to release the second generation of both of these very soon. I am assuming that no many people are tracking their GS's (I could be wrong) so my static version is probably fine which only really means that you set the inward rod end at a fixed offset prior to installing it on the vehicle. If you need to make large adjustments, then you can make them by removing the inner mount and making adjustments, then reattaching when done.

Name:  DSC01836-1.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  44.8 KB

My "Mega Arms" offer the following benefits over a bolt on adapter:
  1. Factory Camber adjustment retention means you keep the stock eccentric bolt for the same stock on-vehicle adjustment.
  2. Multiple sway link mounting locations for variances in ride height and sway stiffeness and progression.
  3. PTFE lined inner rod end replaces the stock rubber bushing for a more positive location of the arm through travel. No more constraint on off angle travel means that the bushing will not store energy which are common causes of wheel hop in the rear.
  4. With my arms there will be no need to replace the toe link, unless you have issues with the eccentric flanges on the toe link mount folding in making it nearly impossible to adjust. The Toe is the major problem with the alignment and this is the biggest cause of inner tire tread wear on the rear.
  5. My arms will not add unsprung weight and in fact are 2 lbs lighter that the factory arms. This means the suspension is easier to damp, more predictable and faster responding. These things make your coilover shocks behave much better.

The arms are made from 1/8" HRPO Steel sheet and all flat hole areas are dimpled for rigidity. The price on the new version static pictured above will be around $350 uncoated. The items pictured are $450.
I would be willing to cut a deal to the first person that will verify the application on a GS for me. Please PM me.

On my new RCA design I will be replacing the lower ball joint carrier with a new serviceable ball joint and adding a hi-steer option to increase steering leverage and lock points (again for competition drifting.) I am about 40% done with the design and still working out the measurements. I could have released a simple spacer such as the sage version but I find the ride height impact unacceptable because it forces you to have an adjustable height coilover.

Here is a sneak peak and my new front RCA design.
Name:  FIGSRCAASSY1.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  22.1 KB

And a few pics of my arms installed.
Name:  arms-no-sway-mounted.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  60.7 KB
Name:  arms-installed-droop.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  STATIC1_DIAG.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  22.1 KB
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 05-24-09, 11:33 PM
FIGS
The Maker

One other thing that you guys should be careful of on the toe links that you posted is the materials they use. Here are some taction links that came to a customer in the mail like this. A similar joint is used on the toe links.
Name:  tractionrods.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  24.0 KB

This is due to cost saving measures on the rod ends themselves. Using a mild steel carrier for a spherical bearing instead of a 2-piece forged alloy body rod end that would cost much more. A word of advice that certain things SHOULD cost more as they are worth the money when your life is at stake.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 05-25-09, 10:17 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIGS
One other thing that you guys should be careful of on the toe links that you posted is the materials they use. Here are some taction links that came to a customer in the mail like this. A similar joint is used on the toe links.

This is due to cost saving measures on the rod ends themselves. Using a mild steel carrier for a spherical bearing instead of a 2-piece forged alloy body rod end that would cost much more. A word of advice that certain things SHOULD cost more as they are worth the money when your life is at stake.

Fig
Those look like Megan arms for a non-Lexus/Toyota vehicle. Fortunately, I do not have Megan adj toe arms and can attest to the quality of the arms on my car now. It is more solid in thickness & construction than stock.

Keep us posted on your products.. It looks like you killed 3 birds with one stone with the rear piece. Nice!
Old 05-25-09, 11:14 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Those look like Megan arms for a non-Lexus/Toyota vehicle. Fortunately, I do not have Megan adj toe arms and can attest to the quality of the arms on my car now. It is more solid in thickness & construction than stock.

Keep us posted on your products.. It looks like you killed 3 birds with one stone with the rear piece. Nice!
Name:  toe-link.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  199.8 KB
This is the part that is concerning as it is smaller than the stock arm and because the stud is welded to the spherical bearing cup, it becomes a stress concentration. Fortunately the toe link does not bear much force at this point unless things bottom out. This is just a concern of mine as it is a cheap way of implementing the functionality. I drafted up a design for toe links but it has been lower on my list as some of the other things I am working on. In my design these are 3-piece Allow rod ends with PTFE lined races....no way those will break off. I tend to over engineer all of my suspension pieces since it is a large liability producing such parts.

Fig
The following users liked this post:
AirRideFan (04-21-18)
Old 05-25-09, 11:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

This is the part that is concerning as it is smaller than the stock arm and because the stud is welded to the spherical bearing cup, it becomes a stress concentration. Fortunately the toe link does not bear much force at this point unless things bottom out. This is just a concern of mine as it is a cheap way of implementing the functionality. I drafted up a design for toe links but it has been lower on my list as some of the other things I am working on. In my design these are 3-piece Allow rod ends with PTFE lined races....no way those will break off. I tend to over engineer all of my suspension pieces since it is a large liability producing such parts.

Fig
I know a thing or two about liability in my line of work. I will not risk my life or those of my passengers by putting a flimsy part on my car. The arms on my car are of excellent quality and is better constructed than stock even at the stress point indicated above.. I understand your concern but at the same time you are looking for sales of your product.

So far so good with my adj toe arms in place. No weird sounds coming from the rear end considering the rough roads here in NYC. Happy to report the rear end feels more composed than before..

Everyone has a choice in America
Old 05-25-09, 11:39 PM
FIGS
The Maker

No worries man, I actually do not sell a competing toe link, so that is not my primary motivation. I have been in a car at high speed when things break though

Fig
Old 05-26-09, 09:30 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fig - do you have an estimated price on you RCA? Looks like your mega-arm gives an aditional drop, is that right? Thanks.
Old 05-26-09, 01:22 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by sam430
Fig - do you have an estimated price on you RCA? Looks like your mega-arm gives an aditional drop, is that right? Thanks.
My arms have no impact on ride height and have mounting locations for both stock and lowered suspension configurations and the different shock angles for both.

My front RCA will be somewhere around $150-$175 target, depending on the ball joint mounting configuration and the level of precision I need in the machining.
Old 05-26-09, 03:40 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My arms have no impact on ride height and have mounting locations for both stock and lowered suspension configurations and the different shock angles for both.

My front RCA will be somewhere around $150-$175 target, depending on the ball joint mounting configuration and the level of precision I need in the machining.

Your front RCA looks complicated...what is the purpose of the lower hole on the bottom section? ... is not for the 2nd GEN GS?

A different shock angle - wouldn't that alter the height?

Quick Reply: Sage RCA's Installed...Pictures