Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeaking brakes!!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 07:40 PM
weaksauce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking brakes!!!! :(

OK, so I got brand new brakes installed about 3 weeks ago, the guy called me in the middle of the job saying that my rotors were bad and if I don't replace the rotors my brakes are going to squeak. When I left the shop they were not making ANY noise (note: my old brakes weren't either). After a few weeks of driving they started making some noise, now its TERRIBLE I can hear it with my music bumping and my windows closed, I don't know whether he installed bad brakes or it is really the rotors that are causing this, I asked another mechanic and he said, "they gave you crappy brakes". Now I do not remember what brand brakes they installed but he did say "this is what Lexus recommends" The brand name might have started with the letter B but I can not say for sure at this point. So I wanna hear some opinions, can rotors cause this terrible noise and if so why haven't my old brakes made this noise also is there anything I can do to reduce it, I don't want to buy new rotors right now (he quoted me 300$)

Thank you guys !
Old 04-22-09, 07:47 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if they can turn your rotors. Also, buy new brake pads and reinstall yourself and save some money. It's not hard and there is a DIY. Also they make a anti-squeal spray that can be used to maybe help the problem.
Old 04-22-09, 07:56 PM
weaksauce
Rookie

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
See if they can turn your rotors. Also, buy new brake pads and reinstall yourself and save some money. It's not hard and there is a DIY. Also they make a anti-squeal spray that can be used to maybe help the problem.
Brand new rear brake pads were installed.. By the way thanks for your quick reply
Old 04-22-09, 08:00 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Just turn the rotors, which if your not familiar, it just means they refinish the face of the rotors. I jsut got mine done a few weeks ago. Before getting them turned I could hear the squeaking when i barely pressed on the brakes. Soooo annnoying.

I paid $40 to get all 4 rotors turned, but a freind hooked me up/ I think it might be a tiny bit more normally.
Old 04-22-09, 08:07 PM
weaksauce
Rookie

I will look into it this weekend, thank you very much sir
Old 04-22-09, 08:19 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

its the rotors, you are never supposed to replace the pads without turning the rotors...technically at least. and if they were bad enough, they cant be turned, and $300 is about right if all 4 are bad. (the reason you cant just turn the rotors if they are really bad is because they will get under spec, too thin, and then will over heat..etc, so if you take it back and your mechanic says that...he isnt necessarily full of it.
Old 04-22-09, 09:12 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

could also be that they didnt put enough brake grease.... aka squeel grease or watever.
Old 04-22-09, 11:49 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

could the brand have been Bendix?
there is a break grease that can be applied to all metal components to stop the squeaking. if you filter out all those problems, it could be your pads.
Old 04-23-09, 07:36 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its your pads..........
Old 04-23-09, 08:25 AM
alexly
Driver

every rotor contains a spec. should it wear beyond the measured spec, your rotor is shot and will need to be replaced. the squeak/squeal from applying your brakes can be caused from a number of faults- lack of brake grease, anti-ceramic pads, shot rotors, foreign object lodged in between stone protector shield, etc. it's difficult to say without facing the problem head on. either get a second opinion from another shop, or DIY. good luck.
Old 04-23-09, 09:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

make sure they put the brake clips back in when they did this...
Old 04-23-09, 02:37 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

and make sure they bought new fit kit as well, dont wanna go through that annoying as brake clapping noise as i did haha

aye sakataj ur bulbs came in yet?? wrong thread but yeah haha
Old 04-23-09, 02:41 PM
john_papa
Pit Crew

hi where can i buy new brake clip?
Old 04-23-09, 03:40 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by john_papa
hi where can i buy new brake clip?
If you go to like rockauto, then you can find third party manufacturers under brake hardware.

Or if you go to like Sewell, you can find the "Brake fitment kit" under the common maintenance parts for the 2GS. You can either buy from there, or just take the toyota part # and buy it from any other toyota parts vendor.

If these are getting loose, you will typically get a single "clunk" sound (not squealing) when shifting from Forward to Reverse (and vice versa) on your first brakes application.

The clunk itself is not a sign of any problem with your car or technical design, your brakes will still work fine, it's more of a nuisance item.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-23-09 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 04:07 PM
john_papa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by raytseng
If you go to like rockauto, then you can find third party manufacturers under brake hardware.

Or if you go to like Sewell, you can find the "Brake fitment kit" under the common maintenance parts for the 2GS. You can either buy from there, or just take the toyota part # and buy it from any other toyota parts vendor.

If these are getting loose, you will typically get a single "clunk" sound (not squealing) when shifting from Forward to Reverse (and vice versa) on your first brakes application.

The clunk itself is not a sign of any problem with your car or technical design, your brakes will still work fine, it's more of a nuisance item.

ow yeah i was just asking cuz i lost mine. and its really annoying hearing clunking. thanks

Quick Reply: Squeaking brakes!!!! :(