Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra struts + H&R+urethane = yuck. a noob perspective

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 04:18 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra struts + H&R+urethane = yuck. a noob perspective

I don't like this combo. Two days ago I thought was OK, until I actually drove on it to settle it in for a day.

To anyone with this combo: please take no offense, this is strictly my perspective. I might have different goals than you do- my criteria is having something that still maintains functionality and ride, is quiet and isn't going to trash the car in the process. I'm willing to forego sitting slammed (and I love riding slammed) because I need to drive this car daily.

I'm writing this as a future post to anyone thinking about doing this to the SC. This combo with poly bushings in the front, sucks. It's harsh, basically has no travel, and it's noisy as hell in the back, and the car hates this setup. Won't stay quiet. It's a hack to install this setup.

Anyhow-

Summary-IMHO you are just as good to cut your stock springs than do this.

I just got my hands on a 92 SC with 52K miles. PO installed new poly bushings upper and lower just before I got it- made the car sound and ride like a produce truck and squeak like a guinea pig - but I digress, at least I still had travel.

Decided to try the OEM Supra struts and H&R springs - I mean, how bad could it be? .7" natual drop from the spring perch mount and 1" from springs should basically ride close to stock, right? WRONG. Anyhow, I found a confirmed low miles set in beautiful condition with springs installed already. Swapped out my strut mounts with my existing struts just to be sure we were good before installation. No problems with fit.

Car rides on 19x8" and 19x9.5" 38 offset wheels all around, no spacers 235/35 f 265/35 R

ISSUES:

1) NOISE I have coil rattle from hell in the back half. it's not a loose strut mount, mine look like new, have extra washers to ensure it's fully tightened and I still get spring rattle, especially from driver's side. I have isolated the springs with expensive rubber fuel line and zip ties and it's clean, still resonates like a guitar string. It isn't the struts they are solid and no bounce, rides decent in the back, and all my swaybar bushings and links are tight and look like new.

2) front end height. By my estimation, I lost 2.25" in the front, it's too low in relation to the back and it rides like crap. Basically on bumpstops if I hit anything more than a manhole cover, so it bounces. Can't cut the stop due to limited clearence in fenderwell so basically you are just above stops. I have tire scrape forward part of wheelwell at almost full lock turning right and both fenders needed a slight roll It really isn't that big of a deal. Removed fender trims both sides.

Back was down about 1.75" from stock, and it's a visible rake, it's OK but still doesn't quite look right. NO ROLLING REQUIRED ON REAR.

Alignment - with fresh bushings my guy got everything in line except camber (DUH). Sitting just under -2 both sides and it tracks OK. Back aligned perfectly.

Rest of the car: entire interior and dash started to rattle, new noises popped up probably due to the lack of flex from the front end being basically locked down and impacting. Had to silicone all my rubber seals and helped a bit, but the fact that the car responded like that was enough to tell me this doesn't work right. Created a new sound from the dash that sounds like dice rolling. Who knows what it is.

Anyhow, heed the advice of everyone else, don't spend the money on this specific combo- I highly doubt eibach's are much better there simply isn't the travel up front to let the suspension work properly.

I'm attempting to find 1/2" coil risers for the front to restore travel and compliance, then trying to cut 1/2" off bumpstops. Stay tuned.

rjp

EDIT; I'm so turned off by this I'm thinking about reinstalling stock until I get some good coilovers. Ones that aren't noisy and work right.
Attached Thumbnails Supra struts  + H&R+urethane = yuck.  a noob perspective-lexusdropped.jpg  

Last edited by RANDY P; 04-09-09 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 06:31 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well man you kinda maxed out there. You went all the way to the dry side. 19's dont help neither.

I'm sure you can get better suspention than you have now.What about those gixer drew coilovers? Some say they are very comfy and close to stock ride.

Looks great though
Old 04-09-09, 08:52 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta admit I'm a little confused.....you're rolling on 19's with rubberbands and wanting it to ride like factory? Best of luck in that endeavor.
Old 04-10-09, 12:08 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, get rid of anything urethane if you want a quiet ride.
Old 04-10-09, 07:47 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

THANKS! I came close to using the hard bushings for my steering rack. Anybody have a source for OEM type rubber bushing kit for the rack? My PS fluid leak ruined my rubber.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-10-09, 08:00 AM
RANDY P
Driver

I never said "factory"- I said "functionality" and "ride" meaning, have some road compliance.. I honestly don't know how anyone tolerates it.

Once the car settled in, most anything throws it off. Yup, either Gixxer drew or some homebrew concoction (possibly spacers and Bilstein) to get there..

rjp
Old 04-10-09, 02:49 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEd
THANKS! I came close to using the hard bushings for my steering rack. Anybody have a source for OEM type rubber bushing kit for the rack? My PS fluid leak ruined my rubber.

Thanks,

John
Hey John,

If you want the rubber type:

The 2 smaller bushes you can get from Andrew in Australia at http://www.vftbushes.com/.

The larger one you can get at your Lexus dealer or here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=3&catalogid=2

I personally am using the Daizen kit and do not notice it being too harsh.
Old 04-10-09, 09:32 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Hope you get the bugs out, but man it looks good
Old 04-11-09, 07:45 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The drop looks nice! But I agree... get the Bilstein setup... its comfy.
Old 04-11-09, 02:50 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Thanks Y'all - and RedPhoenix your car was one of the ones that made me mess with mine. It's beautiful.

I was intending to leave it STOCK (you know, you can drive it places and over bumps and stuff and it won't mess with you that sort of thing?). Oh well.

rjp
Old 04-11-09, 03:41 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have eibach Supra Prokit springs in the front, Espelir Springs in the rear, on Supra TT struts. I have broken rubber bushings, so there is some rattle, but not really any issue with ride quality. I have 18x8 rims in the front (225/40/18) and 19x9.5 rims in the rear (285/35/19), and I wouldnt say the ride is spectacular, but I can't complain at all. it' not a bone jarring ride, and nowhere near as stiff as my old Maxima suspension on Stechs and KYB AGXs. The car feels pretty nice, has a hint of bodyroll, but that can be remedied with TT sways and poly bushings. I bought my car for pennies, so I pretty much knew everything had to be replaced sooner or later.

Maybe your car has more wrong with it that you though?
Old 04-11-09, 05:47 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you ride on 18", the ride will be softer a little bit. Otherwise, you must use good adjustable struts to soften the ride.
Old 04-12-09, 12:27 PM
RANDY P
Driver

I may try the adjustable shocks next...

ALso, yup, maybe I just need to bite it and replace all the stuff back with rubber and replace strut mounts all together...

If this keeps up we'll be there shortly. Fortunately the only price I pay for this is time and dirty hands...

rjp