Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Prothane front control arm bushing , 53$

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 12:13 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got them today! damn...this looks like it's going to be a hard install.
Attached Thumbnails Prothane front control arm bushing , 53$-0626092344.jpg  
Old 06-28-09, 10:31 AM
66fasty
Driver

Got mine yesterday too!jegs just had them drop shipped
Old 06-28-09, 03:13 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 66fasty
Got mine yesterday too!jegs just had them drop shipped
got mines from passracing 2 days ago. anyone of you guys gonna post up DIY?? If so lmk how it goes.
Old 06-28-09, 03:35 PM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

Yea someone needs to put up a diy so the rest of us can do this with ease and no confusion lol.

On the oem bushings that have an outer shell, do we reuse the oem outer shell with the prothane bushings or do we no longer need the outer shell?
Old 06-28-09, 08:20 PM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

Oh and i forgot to ask, but will the prothane bushing kit fit the supra control arms?
Old 06-29-09, 06:19 AM
bodydrager
Rookie

Yeah, you reuse the OEM shell. All you do is burn out the OEM bushing and insert the new bushing. But like everyone says put the bushing in the freezer to shrink it down so it slides into the shell easy.

Originally Posted by Por2LEX
Yea someone needs to put up a diy so the rest of us can do this with ease and no confusion lol.

On the oem bushings that have an outer shell, do we reuse the oem outer shell with the prothane bushings or do we no longer need the outer shell?
Old 06-29-09, 04:11 PM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

Ok thats hat i thought, just needed to reconfirm.

Now does anyone know if the bushing kits for the sc300 will fit the supra control arms?
Old 06-29-09, 08:03 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bodydrager
Yeah, you reuse the OEM shell. All you do is burn out the OEM bushing and insert the new bushing. But like everyone says put the bushing in the freezer to shrink it down so it slides into the shell easy.
how do you burn out the bushings? what about the outer shell? does that have to come out to? because on the prothane instruction it says leave in the outer shell but i read somewhere on CL that some people take it out?? i'm not sure. is it for sure that the freezer will shrink the bushings and it'll be able to fit into the control arms without a press?
Old 06-29-09, 10:40 PM
66fasty
Driver

You just need to buy a torch at walmart,they're in the camping section in a blue bottle with a nozzle,light the rubber on fire and let it burn for awhile,let it cool down,then use a brass wire wheel attached to a drill to clean out the arm.Then clean the inner sleeve.And yes the bushing will shrink in the fridge. Good Luck!
Old 06-30-09, 02:52 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 66fasty
You just need to buy a torch at walmart,they're in the camping section in a blue bottle with a nozzle,light the rubber on fire and let it burn for awhile,let it cool down,then use a brass wire wheel attached to a drill to clean out the arm.Then clean the inner sleeve.And yes the bushing will shrink in the fridge. Good Luck!
what about the outer shell? do i leave it in?
Old 06-30-09, 06:58 AM
bodydrager
Rookie

To remove the outer shell you have to use a press. Just take the control arm off burn the OEM rubber bushing out using a small propane torch and clean the inner area where the new bushing is to be inserted (this is where the shell is located if you didn't know that) put the new bushing in the freezer to shrink it.

And it will shrink enough to insert it a little easier than if it was at room tempature. then lub the bushing with the grease thats given in the kit and reinstall it onto the chassis.
Old 06-30-09, 09:42 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Por2LEX
Ok thats hat i thought, just needed to reconfirm.

Now does anyone know if the bushing kits for the sc300 will fit the supra control arms?
Some places have the same part numbers for this part. So I'm guessing maybe? Can someone confirm?
Old 06-30-09, 11:24 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bodydrager
To remove the outer shell you have to use a press. Just take the control arm off burn the OEM rubber bushing out using a small propane torch and clean the inner area where the new bushing is to be inserted (this is where the shell is located if you didn't know that) put the new bushing in the freezer to shrink it.

And it will shrink enough to insert it a little easier than if it was at room tempature. then lub the bushing with the grease thats given in the kit and reinstall it onto the chassis.
alright thank you very much.
Old 07-10-09, 02:06 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

Question for all of you who installed the Prothane bushings. Is the ride quality noticeably harsher then the OEM rubber bushings and have you experienced any squeaking/creaking from the bushings? Thanks guys, Greg
Old 07-11-09, 02:00 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCaLSC400
Question for all of you who installed the Prothane bushings. Is the ride quality noticeably harsher then the OEM rubber bushings and have you experienced any squeaking/creaking from the bushings? Thanks guys, Greg
Just installed the upper control arm bushings (a nightmare)...wow I must say for a 13 year old car with 120,000 miles, the old bushings are in GREAT! condition.

To me, there is absolutely no difference in stiffness or ride quality. As long as you grease it up entirely, you will be fine. The lower control arms might be a different story

Quick Reply: Prothane front control arm bushing , 53$