Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed F-Sport sway bars (F&R)!!! Ride seems little stiffer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 08:27 AM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed F-Sport sway bars (F&R)!!! Ride seems little stiffer

Hey,

I just installed the sway bar set two days ago on my IS250 6MT...man, it makes real difference in turning corner, car seem more implanted to the ground. Definitely worth doing it.

However, my ride quality seems a little stiffer. Thought only larger wheels and shock/springs/coilovers would make your ride stiffer, not sway bars. does anyone else feel the same way or I'm just smoking crack. Thanks
Old 04-28-09, 08:41 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling this thread is going to get moved, but I'd be interested in hearing people's opinion on this one, since I'm considering doing the F-sport rear sway bar on my IS350.
Old 04-28-09, 08:54 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rebs
I have a feeling this thread is going to get moved, but I'd be interested in hearing people's opinion on this one, since I'm considering doing the F-sport rear sway bar on my IS350.
Just do it...less twisty flex going over bumps & uneven roads so it seems a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable. Helps a bit to reduce the "floaty" feel at higher speeds. Cornering is 10x better..just that is worth the price of admission...and yes this thread will be move soon....(in before move)
Old 04-28-09, 09:04 AM
Feirax
Driver

I felt like the car took more of a hit in the ride quality department with the rear sway, than it did going to the f-sport shocks/spring combo. In a simple manner of speaking, the sway allows both wheels to move in the same direction without coming into play, so on smooth pavement it's great. If only one of the wheels hits a bump (or the car leans) the sway twists against the opposite wheel making the ride feel stiffer and less compliant to bumps.
Old 04-28-09, 09:30 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Feirax
I felt like the car took more of a hit in the ride quality department with the rear sway, than it did going to the f-sport shocks/spring combo. In a simple manner of speaking, the sway allows both wheels to move in the same direction without coming into play, so on smooth pavement it's great. If only one of the wheels hits a bump (or the car leans) the sway twists against the opposite wheel making the ride feel stiffer and less compliant to bumps.
Interesting...so would you do it (the rear sway bar installation) again?
Old 04-28-09, 09:35 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search the other sway bar threads........I've personally written about this already.

But, yes, it did make the ride slightly firmer. And yes, I would DEFINITELY do this again if I had to.
Old 04-28-09, 09:49 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that the ride is noticeably stiffer now after installing both the front and rear F-sport sway bars. I thought the f-sport springs would have made the car stiffer but not as much as the sway bars have. But the stiffness is a good thing for me, "feels" like I have more control of the vehicle.

Last edited by Individual; 04-28-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-28-09, 10:12 AM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

do it...
Old 04-28-09, 11:03 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

yup difinately better handling and stiffer. But it sucks if you have springs instead of coilovers cause you cant change the settings on your ride. I change all the settings to soft and the ride is way better.
Old 04-28-09, 04:59 PM
Feirax
Driver

Originally Posted by rebs
Interesting...so would you do it (the rear sway bar installation) again?
Absolutely.
Old 04-28-09, 05:27 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I didnt really notice stiffness. maybe my tires are comfy.
Old 04-29-09, 11:00 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Now I just have to decide if I can do it myself....I don't have mechanical skills or a jack....but I really cant justify paying 1-2 shop hours like someone else estimated. Hmmmm....
Old 05-06-09, 02:37 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed an IS-F rear sway and it feels great. Feels slightly firmer in the back, but I translate that into better control which I personally like. Not only is body roll reduced tremendously, but it feels more planted at highway speeds as well.
Old 05-06-09, 08:11 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Some of you are confusing suspension rigidity with ride harshness. Both might give a feeling of a "stiff" suspension, but springs/shocks and sway bars do two totally different things.

The F-Sport swaybars will introduce more body "twisting" when you hit uneven road surfaces. As the two sides of the car are now tied together with a bar that allows less deflection, they will not move as independantly as before. However, during cornering this is a positive thing as it will control the "lean," allowing your tires to maintain a larger contact patch at high speeds.

The F-sport springs increase spring rate as their deflection increases. The OE springs maintain a constant spring rate. The f-sports are softer at first, but firm up under force. Since they weigh less as well, they do not have as much inertia, and combined with a larger spring force they can "react" faster to road conditions, helping to keep your tire planted on the pavement.

In both instances, your are sacrificing a soft ride for more control of the car. If you like a floaty feel, these upgrades are not for you.