Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Damping vs. Dampening....Learn how and when to use each word

Old 04-05-09, 07:37 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Damping vs. Dampening....Learn how and when to use each word

In has come to my attention lately that a lot of people use a lot terminology without knowing what it means. one example of such the words damping and dampening. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!!!

from the dictionary.com online dictionary

DAMPING

damp⋅ing
  /ˈdæmpɪŋ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dam-ping] Show IPA
–noun Physics.
1. a decreasing of the amplitude of an electrical or mechanical wave.
2. an energy-absorbing mechanism or resistance circuit causing this decrease.
3. a reduction in the amplitude of an oscillation or vibration as a result of energy being dissipated as heat.

VS.

DAMPENING

damp·en (dām'pən) Pronunciation Key
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens

v. tr.
1. To make damp.
2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
3. To soundproof.

v. intr.
To become damp.
damp'en·er n.

cliffnotes: damping is energy decipation....dampening is making something wet.

you taking a rag and putting it in a bucket of water is the act of dampening.

you hitting a punching bag and the bag barely moving is an act of damping on the park of the bag.

good day to ya'll
Old 04-05-09, 08:03 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be quite honest no one can speak English without an accent. Which basically means no can speak English properly. And if no one can speak English properly why would you expect people to spell properly?

i.e. if your in the North the word wine and whine are the same yet in the south pin and pen (or tin and ten) are the same. Their are ton of more words that no one seems to say right like been but still its pointless to criticizes others English when you yourself cant speak properly.

Last edited by Ryeno; 04-05-09 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 08:56 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

1.) You need to chill.

2.) What do you have to say about the word dampen? You can see why people get dampening and damping mixed up, besides, there are FAR more important English mistakes being made.....

Once again, from dictionary.com, your source

dampen

verb
1. smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity" [syn: stifle] [ant: excite]
2. make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows" [syn: moisten]
3. deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping [syn: muffle]
4. reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
5. make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
6. check; keep in check (a fire)
7. lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"

as you can see, dampen can refer to the definition of damping or dampening
Old 04-05-09, 09:15 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xirforever
1.) You need to chill.
what are you talking about. i was trying to make a comical thread out of this. when i was first introduced to suspension related information i was over at Touge Factory and talking to a guy there. he started telling me about suspension and a lot of info that i previously didnt know. we go into shock characteristics and i kept saying "dampening" and he physically showed me the difference between the two.

he did the punching bag example for damping.

then he took a rag and put in a bucket of water and said this is dampening.

when i read a post in another thread today and the guy said dampening i though if that moment way back in the day.

BTW with you example and the two words being same or at least can be used interchangeably then one advice would be not to do it. if you come to anyone that knows anything about suspension and shock and keep saying dampening they will think youre an idiot JK

btw you killed this "fun facts" thread...thanks
Old 04-05-09, 09:15 PM
defrag010
Driver

What you are griping about is just semantics because there is more than one meaning for both of those words. You can use them different ways and it will still be correct. I come from the world of sound, and the words damping and dampening mean the same thing with the only difference being one of them is a verb and the other is a noun or adjective. You can say "I'm going to dampen the walls of this recording studio with damping material" and it's correct. The definitions of each word you posted up are almost identical in meaning, the only difference being that you can also use the word dampen/dampening to describe something being wet. I know the intention of this gripe, but you are opening a can of worms without any semantical implication.

*edit.. I guess I missed the humor too..
Old 04-05-09, 09:18 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

both words mean the same thing ... the root word is DAMP ... the rest of both words are suffixes which do not change the meaning ...

if you are damping you are also dampening ... its how you choose to use it ... either way its correct
Old 04-06-09, 05:09 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

English class is in.

...At least I got a laugh out of this
Old 04-06-09, 06:19 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can say "Oh ****, I have to poop", or "I have to poop and ****", but you CANNOT say "I have to ****"

Old 04-06-09, 06:48 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
In has come to my attention lately that a lot of people use a lot terminology without knowing what it means. one example of such the words damping and dampening. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!!!

from the dictionary.com online dictionary

DAMPING

damp⋅ing
  /ˈdæmpɪŋ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dam-ping] Show IPA
–noun Physics.
1. a decreasing of the amplitude of an electrical or mechanical wave.
2. an energy-absorbing mechanism or resistance circuit causing this decrease.
3. a reduction in the amplitude of an oscillation or vibration as a result of energy being dissipated as heat.

VS.

DAMPENING

damp·en (dām'pən) Pronunciation Key
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens

v. tr.
1. To make damp.
2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
3. To soundproof.

v. intr.
To become damp.
damp'en·er n.

cliffnotes: damping is energy decipation....dampening is making something wet.

you taking a rag and putting it in a bucket of water is the act of dampening.

you hitting a punching bag and the bag barely moving is an act of damping on the park of the bag.

good day to ya'll

Honestly...I think people need to read this. I see the value in this thread. Good stuff..hopefully now people will realize they need to adjust damping and not wetting their vehicles so much...*attempt at humor*

For those who take this thread too seriously. Get over yourself.
Old 04-06-09, 09:52 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoarerAZ
Honestly...I think people need to read this. I see the value in this thread. Good stuff..hopefully now people will realize they need to adjust damping and not wetting their vehicles so much...*attempt at humor*

For those who take this thread too seriously. Get over yourself.
thanks. the only person that actually sees the difference. just because the root is damp doesnt mean the words are used interchangeably.

stay tuned for:
past vs. passed
paid vs. payed
ridiculous vs. rediculous
tomorrow vs. tomarrow

or not...

seriously though, where the hell did all these people on the internet go to grade school?
Old 04-06-09, 10:30 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

5sp jzz30: i didn't realize you were also an English Major ... I'm impressed ... do you get a kick out of proving everyone wrong ... seriously no one cares because at the end of the day when someone is talking about the dampening or damping (whichever they choose to use) characteristics of a shock, you or whoever they are talking to, will know what they mean ... I have recently been more active on the threads and I have read several posts that you have made where you ridicule other people, or talk down on them, or make them feel stupid just because you feel like you are the smartest person on this side of the universe ... I'm sure that a few will agree with me when I say that if you really don't have anything considerate to say on the forums then you should really not post anything ...

these forums are to exchange information and ideas ... they are here so people who don't know can know ... they are not here so people can feel bashed or feel even more dumb ...

and you should really study the etymology of the word damp and all its uses ... you will see that your mechanic that works at Touge Factory should have picked up an english dictionary before he gave you your lesson ... because he too would have realized they both mean the same thing when used as a verb.

it is the certainty of the uncertain that really amazes me ...
Old 04-06-09, 10:48 PM
MrYoshi
Pole Position

Welcome to ClubEnglish!!! My car is damping?
Old 04-06-09, 10:54 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

i actually care about the difference between the two.

it all started many years ago with motorcycles. d-bag newbs would always be like i need to adjust my dampeners, i need to get a steering dampener. blah blah blah. it was hard to deal with.

it may seem like im too serious about this, but im mostly sick of grammar errors. the one that really gets me on forums is the difference between there, their, and they're. its awful and makes you wonder how educated people really are.
Old 04-07-09, 01:56 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tularisgp
i actually care about the difference between the two.

it all started many years ago with motorcycles. d-bag newbs would always be like i need to adjust my dampeners, i need to get a steering dampener. blah blah blah. it was hard to deal with.

it may seem like im too serious about this, but im mostly sick of grammar errors. the one that really gets me on forums is the difference between there, their, and they're. its awful and makes you wonder how educated people really are.

Since we are on the grammar topic, don't forget to capitalize...

...Lol just messing with ya.
Old 04-07-09, 06:03 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

haha... awesome thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damping vs. Dampening....Learn how and when to use each word