Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Spring clamps

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 03:59 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring clamps

Been kicking aorund the idea of dropping my GS4 for a while now...
Unfortunately, the roads in my area are not the best, I also don't want to lose out on the ride and of course being in Canada having the car lowered isn't the best option in the winter.

Read another post on here regarding cheap lowering options and I would like to open a discussion specifically on spring clamps.

Reason they appeal to me are:

The price is great
Ease of install/ease of removal in the fall for winter driving
Similar ride quality to stock

Any other positive aspects that may appeal to me?
Anyone want to mention some negatives?
I really don't need to hear "buy coilovers" a million times, thanks.
Just a open discussion of the option of spring clamps.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-19-09, 04:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Most clamps I see are not for passenger cars. There is simply not enough room between the coils. These kits are more for truck/SUVs with more clearance between the windings of the spring.

If you do end up getting the spring clamps, you're going to need to get an alignment.
Old 03-19-09, 05:26 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

-the particular coils on your springs may get damaged from being clamped for so long. Removal after they have been installed may not undo the damage.
-your safety is compromised both due spring travel being adjusted, as well as having a freakin clamping device that is going to interfere even more with regular operation and the travel of the non-clamped coils.
-you may damage/wear other parts of your suspension
-you will get your choice of A) abnormal wear and damage or B) re-alignment costs every time you lower/raise the car. This may cost you more then what you were trying to save in the first place (this really applies to any lowering or suspension changes).

Last edited by raytseng; 03-19-09 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 07:11 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my defense before i admit to using spring clamps, i have ones that can be used as spring lifts or camps, we used them as lifts when transporting the race car to get it on and off the trailer before i used them as clamps on the GS

i had the mr gasket clamps on my gs for a while, i don't suggest them nor am i proud of being that cheap lol. but my alignment was still in spec after installing them (one year unlimited from tire kingdom) , the ride quality was just like stock except when i did really dumb **** i would bottom out (just like stock), i removed them after about a month the springs showed no damage other than the rubber/silicone coating on them where the clamp was was cut a little but not all the way. out of the ones i used it lowered the car about and inch and a half, i'd suggest just getting springs instead it's what i went to.