Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New suspension for '98 gs4

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 10:02 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New suspension for '98 gs4

Can anyone give me sound suggestions on how to do my suspension? I want a nice ride with the combination of performance and luxury aesthetics. And, where can I go to research?
Old 03-18-09, 11:29 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are a ton of options, and this is the perfect section for research. just search for coilovers, Tein is a nice option, HKS, JIK Magic, Stance, there are a ton of options.
Old 03-18-09, 12:19 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Rich said...you are in the right place.

You got choices... spring/shock setup? Air Suspension (bags)? Coilovers (most come with dampening adjustments)?

As for coilovers...I suggest going with any coilovers that offers height adjustment at the lower mount housing (along with upper compression adjustment to the springs)....vs....just upper compression adjustment.
Old 03-18-09, 02:44 PM
al-ex-us
Driver

Oh ok . . . well, riddle me this! Do you know if the TEIN Super Street Damper Kit offers height adjustment at the lower mount housing (along with upper compression)?? If so, what's a fair price. Oh yea!; what about the OEM struts currently on my 98GS4 with 155450 miles on it? I don't plan on racing or drifting (maybe hit a couple of corners for flossin purposes), but should I consider changing them out just? If so, are replacing them gonna make the hole (already in my pocket) much bigger?? Help a brova out!
Old 03-18-09, 03:18 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Tein SS's are height ajustable.. All coilovers are..

Well SS's arent bad at all for the price, you can look in the GS classifieds for a used set..
Or you can get megans from statik for 850shipped..
Old 03-18-09, 03:36 PM
al-ex-us
Driver

Ok, but, o you know if the TEIN Super Street Damper Kit offers height adjustment at the lower mount housing ??
Old 03-18-09, 03:59 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by al-ex-us
Ok, but, o you know if the TEIN Super Street Damper Kit offers height adjustment at the lower mount housing ??
Nope... Tein Super Street does not offer height adjustment at the lower mount housing.
Old 03-19-09, 07:55 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Which TEIN coilovers are then height-adjustable at the lower mount housing? I bet you they're super-expensive (more than $ 1200.00)! In the case of overall reliability (in terms of repairs) and cost efficiency (getting more for your buck), if you had to choose between the shocks/springs setup and coilovers, which would you choose?
Old 03-19-09, 10:45 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

a good shock/spring setup will cost pretty close to a full coilover system. i suggest Stance coilovers. the price isnt bad for the quality
Old 03-19-09, 09:32 PM
YOO
Driver

i understand where you are coming from... being broke but yet still want to mod your lex.

I waited over a year to come across a good deal on a set of TEIN SS. To be honest with you, im reallly happy with them! This kit offers a full range of adjustments for the price of springs/strut combos. I paid about $500 for a used set but yet still mint. im soo glad i didnt jump to the gun and got some lowering spring set up... i would of been stuck with it hehe

anyhow, personally i like to mess around with my car and that includes be able to adjust my suspenion from time to time. if this is like you, then go with coilovers... or even air bags if youre ball'n! but if youre one of those guys that like to get something done and not touch it for a while, then a spring and strut combo would work best.

hope my input helps
Old 03-20-09, 02:11 PM
al-ex-us
Driver

Many thanks for your help YOO! The capability of adjusting height and damper on the LEXUS whenever I want sounds groovy; therefore, I will go with TEIN SS Coilovers. Together with the TEIN Performance Front and Rear Strut Bars, they'll look lovely. Gotta co - o - o - o - rdinate!
Old 03-20-09, 02:34 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Which TEIN coilovers are then height-adjustable at the lower mount housing? I bet you they're super-expensive (more than $ 1200.00)! In the case of overall reliability (in terms of repairs) and cost efficiency (getting more for your buck), if you had to choose between the shocks/springs setup and coilovers, which would you choose?
Coilovers...cuz I like to play around with dampening and height.

If you're not into that...stick with spring/shock setup...only problem is your stuck with the height and stiffness/softness of the setup.
Old 03-21-09, 01:31 PM
al-ex-us
Driver

Hey I plan on getting the TEIN Type SS Coilovers - Lexus GS300/400/430 98-05, but they are sold without the Pillowball Upper Mounts . Do I need these OR ANYTHING ELSE in order to complete the installation??
Old 03-22-09, 01:47 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Hey I plan on getting the TEIN Type SS Coilovers - Lexus GS300/400/430 98-05, but they are sold without the Pillowball Upper Mounts . Do I need these OR ANYTHING ELSE in order to complete the installation??
No - you use your stock mounts with these. Enjoy!
Old 03-24-09, 05:27 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Originally Posted by PHML

As for coilovers...I suggest going with any coilovers that offers height adjustment at the lower mount housing (along with upper compression adjustment to the springs)....vs....just upper compression adjustment.
Do the Megan Coilovers do this?

Quick Reply: New suspension for '98 gs4