Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The "Lowering" Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 04:38 PM
Metsfan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default The "Lowering" Dilemma

No doubt, a low ride looks sweet, especially the 2GS. But there seem to be a lot of us for whom it's not a realistic option (road conditions, steep driveways, high curbs, etc.). The dilemma is, how can we get the best look without lowering. Sometimes bigger wheels make a GS with stock suspension look like a 4 X 4. Any suggestions other than staying stock and keeping it as sharp as possible?

Also, if you have nice rims and tires on stock suspension I'd love to see some pics.
Old 03-12-09, 04:54 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly, there's no good way to put bigger wheels without lowering, it's not gonna look good. 20's with the "fat" tire setup (245/35 and 275/30) will fill in a little bit of the wheel gap so you won't have to lower quite as far to look decent.

I'm on Tanabe DF210's (2" drop front and 1.5" rear) with 20's and haven't had any issues with driveability, although I'd probably be having problems in the snow if I was driving the car over the winter.
Old 03-12-09, 05:06 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 1.5" drop gives the 2GS the stance it should have had from the factory, meaning: it looks right on the car. Of course this depends on wheel/tire setup. You can achieve this mild drop very easily and safely without diminishing ride quality or driveability that much.
No matter how you look at it, if you own a 2GS, you must lower, haha.
Good luck!
Old 03-12-09, 05:19 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get subtle lowering springs, you dont need to be slammed if you dont want to. lowering springs will do fine with the road conditions. get the eibach ones or tanabe nf210s
Old 03-12-09, 05:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The bigger the wheel, the more it'll look like a 4x4 with the same gap. If you get something subtle or even moderate, dont plan on putting 20s and expect it to look perfect.
Old 03-12-09, 05:45 PM
Metsfan
Driver

OK I get it: either lower or stay stock on the wheels/tires. Springs sound like a good idea for maybe 1-1.5 inches and I know they're an inexpensive lowering option, but with adjustable coilovers wouldn't it be possible to take the car back up to stock specs or close to it for winter driving? This is a daily driver for me.
Old 03-12-09, 05:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Sure that may be possible if the coilovers can raise it back up to stock height, but you'll need an alignment afterwards.

There is always the option of having air suspension, but of course that cost money.
Old 03-12-09, 05:54 PM
Metsfan
Driver

OK, so stupid question: each time you adjust your height, you have to re-align?
Old 03-12-09, 05:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes. Whenever you change suspension settings, your toe/camber/caster will change. Incorrect toe will be the biggest factor in tire wear. If you have one of those lifetime alignment offers around you, it may be a good idea to get it.
Old 03-12-09, 06:07 PM
Metsfan
Driver

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna stay stock until I speak to someone from the snowbelt who has some firsthand experience driving the lowered GS through the winter. I'm definitely not going to go slammed; it's a sick look, but not my style. And it's not like I'm out on the roads before they're plowed, so logic tells me that 1.5" shouldn't be a big problem, but I'd like to know what I'm in for before I do it. I'll also check with some local mod shops, but of course they're selling something so...
Old 03-12-09, 06:32 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in Michigan and now live in central indiana so I know snow.
The GS isn't great in the snow regardless of suspension height. It really comes down to tires.
I drove all winter with about 1 3/4" drop without a problem, but I had blizzak snow tires. There were a few times when i drove through unplowed lots when I plowed a lil snow, but not too bad.
Old 03-12-09, 11:23 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The bigger the wheel, the more it'll look like a 4x4 with the same gap. If you get something subtle or even moderate, dont plan on putting 20s and expect it to look perfect.

Less fender gap is always better but my rule of thumb has been that "if the fender gap is wider than the sidewall it's gonna look terrible." You can get away with a smaller drop with thicker sidewalls but the smallest possible gap is always best!
Old 03-13-09, 01:12 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

it's the ride quality that stops me from lowering, i just LOVE how smooth the ride is. i sat in my friend's brand new TL and it feels totally different from a lexus. even tho. my car is 8 years old, still, smooth like silk. i dont think i will trade anything for that kind of ride quality.
Old 03-13-09, 11:13 AM
Metsfan
Driver

Originally Posted by MJImport
I grew up in Michigan and now live in central indiana so I know snow.
The GS isn't great in the snow regardless of suspension height. It really comes down to tires.
I drove all winter with about 1 3/4" drop without a problem, but I had blizzak snow tires. There were a few times when i drove through unplowed lots when I plowed a lil snow, but not too bad.
Absolutely. I have no problem with winter handling. I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's and the handling is excellent. I was more concerned about becoming a snowplow.

On another note, it seems like the trick with suspension is the balance between handling a comfort. I love the comfort of the stock ride. Can I expect to be able to find a way to drop 1.5-1.75, keep the comfort, and maybe improve handling? (And I realize that handling is partially the function of the tire). Or is that asking too much?
Old 03-13-09, 11:29 AM
samster16
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 98 GS300. I recently purcahsed a set of L-tuned suspension off a member and upgraded to the chrome 17s.
I threw on the 17s and noticed a difference in ride comfort instantly. After a while, i am now used to it..... Then when i put on the L-tuneds, i did not realize any ride quality difference... so overall, i am quite happy with what i have (a lil nicer wheels and dropping it 1.5-2")..... i still have no problems going up curbs or anything since i dont have a lip.... thanks for reading =)

Quick Reply: The "Lowering" Dilemma