Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What are the disadvantages of SS brake lines?

Old 03-09-09, 04:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What are the disadvantages of SS brake lines?

I remember reading somewhere about a major problem with SS brake lines, but can't remember what it was. Anyone know?
Old 03-09-09, 09:20 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Longevity. Often the clear plastic jacket covering the outside of the braided lines crack and fall apart and then the lines itself start to rust and corrode. I would never buy a used set of steal braided lines, and I myself would probably change them out every 2 years. That is just me though.
Old 03-09-09, 09:57 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Longevity. Often the clear plastic jacket covering the outside of the braided lines crack and fall apart and then the lines itself start to rust and corrode. I would never buy a used set of steal braided lines, and I myself would probably change them out every 2 years. That is just me though.
I'm not sure about the plastic jacket covering cracking over time. But the lines on my D2 BBk have held up for the last two years of daily driving without any signs of wear. What I recomend for alot of people is to take care of their cars. I usually inspect and clean my brake lines once a month when I take my wheels off for cleaning.
Old 03-09-09, 10:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Wow is this the wayback machine.. .see my post #12 from 2001
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...em-brakes.html

I never had issues with any of mine, but changed them several times (with OEM, with Supra TT, with Brembo) over the life of my car.
Old 03-09-09, 10:36 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I guess it depends on the brand used and the conditions they are subjected to. I have seen a few with brittle jackets before and signs of rust starting, but they generally were older than 3-4 years. Cleaning them often is probably a great idea, but we all know that most people will neglect to do so and most people probably rarely even take the wheels off. Just look at how many people post they don't change their brake fluid for 5+ years.
Old 03-09-09, 10:40 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

PS Dave, do you use steal braided lines on your track cars? If so, how often do you service, or basically replace them? Just wondering.
Old 03-10-09, 08:07 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Good information to keep in mind dave. As far as SS brake lines, I think that if you stick with one of the major brake line manufacturer such as Goodridge, stoptech, or Russell, then you should be fine. I've had all three of those lines installed on different cars that I've owned over the years and they all have never fail on me. I think that the biggest problem which leads to brake line failure is neglecting to inspect the lines. SS brake lines are designed for track use therefore I think that is why they need to be inspected from time to time for leaks. And as far as ferrari not using ss lines, I think they used a similar brake line to what Project Mu uses which is a teflon core line with Kevlar outer casing.
Old 03-10-09, 08:18 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

so simply put, take care of your ride and maintain it. and the brake line will not fail you.
Old 03-10-09, 09:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
PS Dave, do you use steal braided lines on your track cars? If so, how often do you service, or basically replace them? Just wondering.
Yes, we use them on the track car and on her Porsche. It's one of the first mods she did to the track car even on the stock brake setup and uses them on the current Stoptech setup too.

Reasons she uses them
- when fluid is hot (gets very hot on track car) stock lines will expand and contract which provides an inconsistent pedal feel and more pedal travel (both bad). The SS lines don't expand like stock rubber and provides a consistent pressure.

Negative
- usually coated / braided with multiple layers with teflon over the SS. If a crack develops in outer coating then grit and dirt can wear at the lines causing a leak. Needs to be inspected regularly for cracks, etc.

She's never had one crack, but is an inspection point every time car is on a lift once per month. Changes them every couple of years.
Old 03-12-09, 12:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, thanks all, thats a lot of good info!
Old 03-17-09, 10:49 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Reasons she uses them
- when fluid is hot (gets very hot on track car) stock lines will expand and contract which provides an inconsistent pedal feel and more pedal travel (both bad). The SS lines don't expand like stock rubber and provides a consistent pressure.
question... since the stock rubber seems to be the weak point where it expands too easily when the fluid gets hot, does it make sense to place zip ties along the whole stock lines in order to keep it from expanding when they get hot?

i had a set of SS lines on my DD and they failed within a year... this was a suggestion made to me but i never went foward with it...
Old 03-17-09, 10:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Sorry kamlung, I don't quite understand what your question / approach is.
Old 03-17-09, 05:00 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

sorry for the confusion...

since the stock rubber expands when the fluid inside of it gets hot... would it make sense to restrict the rubber line from expanding so that you don't experience brake fade...

the approach is to take a bunch of heavy duty zip ties... and then zip tie around every inch of the whole length of the brake line... this will essentially hold the rubber brake line tight even when the fluid inside of it gets hot and the rubber wants to expand...

let me know if i still wasn't clear... i can try to take a pic of what i mean...
Old 03-17-09, 05:03 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
sorry for the confusion...

since the stock rubber expands when the fluid inside of it gets hot... would it make sense to restrict the rubber line from expanding so that you don't experience brake fade...

the approach is to take a bunch of heavy duty zip ties... and then zip tie around every inch of the whole length of the brake line... this will essentially hold the rubber brake line tight even when the fluid inside of it gets hot and the rubber wants to expand...

let me know if i still wasn't clear... i can try to take a pic of what i mean...
That IS one of the main purposes of using braided line. To keep the rubber hose inside from expanding.

zip ties = 0
Braided line = +1

Also even if the fluid is not hot, the hose will expand under hard braking pressure. This is a difference you can feel quite easily when you change over to SS lines.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-17-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 05:36 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
i had a set of SS lines on my DD and they failed within a year
Failed for ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the disadvantages of SS brake lines?