Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY on Wheel/Hub Removal????

Old 03-09-09, 08:50 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY on Wheel/Hub Removal????

I have searched using different key words and have yet to find anything for the GS. I need to replace a rear wheel bearing that has gone bad, but need some direction. I know I will have to have a shop press the old one out and put a new in. I just need to get the hub assembly off to take it to them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-09-09, 11:09 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Remove the upper control arms and lower control arms off the car along with the traction rod. Then remove brake caliper and parking brake if it's the rear. Then remove cotter pin that secures the axle nut onto the hub. Then remove axle nut while slightly tapping the axle off the hub with a rubber mallet and pull everything off.
Old 03-09-09, 11:22 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Remove the upper control arms and lower control arms off the car along with the traction rod. Then remove brake caliper and parking brake if it's the rear. Then remove cotter pin that secures the axle nut onto the hub. Then remove axle nut while slightly tapping the axle off the hub with a rubber mallet and pull everything off.
That is exactly what I needed, but I do have one question. What size is the axle nut??? I do not have a socket that big so I will have to borrow one, but I am not sure what size I need to borrow.

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-09-09, 01:36 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
That is exactly what I needed, but I do have one question. What size is the axle nut??? I do not have a socket that big so I will have to borrow one, but I am not sure what size I need to borrow.

Thanks!!!!
I'm not sure which size it is as I have a complete set that goes up to 35mm. But if I'm not mistaken, it's either 32mm or 34mm since one of those socket was what I used for my supra when I changed out the rear subframe. Also, go to autozone or any parts store and they'll loan you the tool for free. Make sure to pick up new cotter pin since you don't want to reuse the old one. You'll also need a ball joint seperator or pitman arm puller and a can of PB plaster to use on the stubborn bolts and nuts. Lastly, the axle lock nut is torque down to 147 lb/ft. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the service manual with all the torque specs and parts diagram.
Old 03-09-09, 04:39 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure which size it is as I have a complete set that goes up to 35mm. But if I'm not mistaken, it's either 32mm or 34mm since one of those socket was what I used for my supra when I changed out the rear subframe. Also, go to autozone or any parts store and they'll loan you the tool for free. Make sure to pick up new cotter pin since you don't want to reuse the old one. You'll also need a ball joint seperator or pitman arm puller and a can of PB plaster to use on the stubborn bolts and nuts. Lastly, the axle lock nut is torque down to 147 lb/ft. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the service manual with all the torque specs and parts diagram.
PM sent.

Thanks for all your help!!!!
Old 03-24-09, 05:48 AM
j.tom
Rookie

Quick VR-4, Did you took it (Knuckle)off yet?how hard was the job? i might need to do it soon.
Old 12-18-09, 01:10 AM
YOO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello how are you? may i ask if you able to send me info to help me with my DIY rear passenger bearing replacement?

email: TranBrendon@yahoo.com

Thanks much! brendon
Old 12-22-09, 09:48 PM
YOO
Driver

I've have done all that ALEXUS300 said to do and still cant seem to free the axle from the hub.

PLEASE HELP!

thanks, brendon
Old 12-23-09, 10:38 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YOO
I've have done all that ALEXUS300 said to do and still cant seem to free the axle from the hub.

PLEASE HELP!

thanks, brendon
Brendon, I replied to your PM but I realize I misunderstood you. To seperate the axle from the hub, I used a gear puller similar to this one. It locks in using your wheel lugs and screws into the end of the axle. You WILL NOT be able to seperate the hub and axle by hand. I think you can rent them from any auto parts store so you do not have to buy one.

Old 01-04-10, 08:30 PM
YOO
Driver

THanks for the reply.

I've gotta the axle out and have already replaced the bearing. Everything is put back together now.

one problem, the car is still making the same noise as it did before...

Can anyone help????

thanks brendon
Old 01-06-10, 02:20 AM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you put on aftermarket rotors on the car recently?. I had a noise problem after installing Brembo cross drilled rotors. I had to sand down the lip on the inside of the rotor and the noise stopped.
Old 01-06-10, 03:46 PM
YOO
Driver

eman88....

I have not replaced any rotors. I also checked and to see what could be rubbing and there are no signs what so ever...

Im starting to get one idea... Maybe the hub is rubbing against the hub carrier/spindle/knockle. I dont know exactly how the hub mounts onto the carrier and how the bearing holds everything in. I know forsure that a large bearing gets pressed into the middle of the hub, but how does the hub get mounted onto the carrier(spindle/knockle). I would think the hub is mounted onto the carrier by bolts but couldnt find any.

When i took the whole carrier/spindle/knockle assembly off of the car. I can spin the actual hub. It spins freely and kinda grinds a little. So its definitely something wrong with the bearing. now what i dont understand is, if the hub is spinging, then there must be two bearings total in the assembly. One between the carrier and hub. and one in the middle of the hub where the axle slides in.

can anyone point me into the right direction here?

thanks
Old 05-12-12, 07:22 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

For posterity, the axle nut is 32mm, 12pt