Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

best coilovers for daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 12:14 PM
msvlgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best coilovers for daily driving

what is the best coilovers for daily driving...?
Old 03-04-09, 12:27 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

maybe TEIN? who knows?
Old 03-04-09, 12:28 PM
msvlgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lettuce
maybe TEIN? who knows?
what kind of teins though?
Old 03-04-09, 12:29 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would say tein CS (v1 v2 or T), hks hipermax LS, megans, pretty much any softer coilover
Old 03-04-09, 12:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

CSv2 is probably their softest.

There is a set in the classified section. $850+shipping unless you're around silicon valley.
Old 03-04-09, 12:31 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

It's really not that easy of a question, meaning personal preference, perception, and opinion are strong variables. I use HKS hypermax II (as low as they will go) w/ the Tom's LCA, Carbing strut brace, Carson turning ecu and swapped out PU bushings. My ride is better than stock considering my height preference. Spension is IMO the MOST important mod to make/put $$$ into so whatever you choose, do not go cheap!
Old 03-04-09, 12:38 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I Say HKS just installed them this weekend and couldn't Be happier. but i still have vibrations at 40 and 70mph... its freaking annoying me....
Old 03-04-09, 01:04 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HKS RS here, nothing but thumbs up whenever you find us talking about HKS suspensions.

I also have vibrations, but think it's common on our cars to have them... might have to do the steering rack adjustment...
Old 03-04-09, 06:22 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by augdogg
Suspension is IMO the MOST important mod to make/put $$$ into so whatever you choose, do not go cheap!
Word of wisdom here guys... Don't skimp out on handling because you feel that power will make you faster. It doesn't if your car can't handle the extra power.
Old 03-04-09, 06:27 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyecon7
I Say HKS just installed them this weekend and couldn't Be happier. but i still have vibrations at 40 and 70mph... its freaking annoying me....
Not knocking on HKS, but you know why you and the person below you that posted noticed vibrations? When HKS designed the suspension, they designed it for all around use. The vibration you notice is coming from two things... Shock travel and rebound. That's why it's great that you stick with a company that allows you to design your own setup that is suited perfectly for a 2GS. I personally prefer D2 Racing Coilover. But what do I know right??? I'm sure that my setup will be on par if not better than coilovers that cost twice as much. Anyone wanna put their coilover up to the challenge can join me on the track.
Old 03-04-09, 06:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

'Best for the track' isn't going to be a good match for 'best for daily driving'... two very different things.

My vote for the best coilovers for a daily driver would either be with Bilstein PSS or Tein CS. I ended up with the Bilsteins and was very pleased with them. Very 'German' feeling with just the right balance of firm response and feedback (judged by my butt-dyno of course, yours may vary).
Old 03-04-09, 06:51 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
'Best for the track' isn't going to be a good match for 'best for daily driving'... two very different things.

My vote for the best coilovers for a daily driver would either be with Bilstein PSS or Tein CS. I ended up with the Bilsteins and was very pleased with them. Very 'German' feeling with just the right balance of firm response and feedback (judged by my butt-dyno of course, yours may vary).
I agree with dave. He sure knows german engineering alright.. His wife is loyal to stutgartt.. She will run circles around any of our lexus anyday of the week.
Old 03-04-09, 06:52 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

i have Insurance Group. theyre independant height and preload adjustable, have very conservative spring rates of 10k/6k, and are well made.

with damping soft i can make then softer than stock right through to almost rock hard. i recommend them as a very nice daily driver coilover. the car just feels nicer but doesnt necessarily feel like it has aftermarket suspension, but can also SLAM as much as you want
Old 03-04-09, 10:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I may be going with Bilstein coils soon. I'm very fond of the companies and they make some of the best stuff around. Tein, HKS, JIC, etc are made for the streets and they're considered good stuff (aside from Tein), but when you stack them up against the big boys, they're nothing.
Old 03-05-09, 09:50 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No ive had vibrations before i installed my coilovers... its a common issue with GS's I have replaced my ball joints and my upper control arm bushings with daizen. i still need to do the lower control arms.. didnt have time... dont kno what else to do...

Quick Reply: best coilovers for daily driving