Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Slotted/Drilled Rotor Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-02, 08:47 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slotted/Drilled Rotor Noise

Can anyone comment regarding any noise level increase from slotted/drilled rotors. I'm thinking about putting on a front set but I was cautioned that they tend to be noisier than solid rotors. I suspect the noise comes from both air flow (via holes/slots) and less mass (weight) during pad contact.

I already have enough road noise from tires/springs/shocks so I'm debating if I need any more.

Comments?
Old 03-06-02, 04:41 PM
LexFather

Cool

I have cross drilled fronts and there is no noise difference than the stock rotors. It's about the pads mahn . Cheap pads will make noise, either use dealer pads or buy the TRD ones from Steve (SUPRATRD).

If u add new rotors you have to add new pads FYI. Dex just put on TRD slotted fronts and rears kit, hopefully he'll see this.
Old 03-06-02, 11:41 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With my rotors (AP Racing...Cross Drilled and slotted...) you can DEFINITELY hear them working...
Old 03-07-02, 06:18 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep - I've had mine on for a few weeks, but haven't had a lot of mileage on them yet. The first couple of days only, they squeaked just a tad, but I think the surfaces were just mating.

I love 'em otherwise; very sticky.

Here is my post soon after installation:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=33634
Old 03-10-02, 12:40 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Advice

Mr. G - Be sure & replace the anti-squeal clips when U change the pads ( U R going to change the pads as well so that the rotors/pad "bed in" together, right? ) If not, U may get a strange "clicking" noise which is most audible at low speeds & ESPECIALLY while backing up!! At least that's what happened to me when I just changed my stock sized rotors to a set which was drilled/slotted. More of a cosmetic change for me.
Old 03-10-02, 02:58 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Hey Mean,

You mean remove the clips rather than replace . . . right?

I can see the clips interacting with either the rotor's hole or slot.
Old 03-14-02, 12:48 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Replace

Mr. G - Nope, I had to replace my springs before the "clicking" stopped. Apparently they get fatigued with mileage & don't hold the pads as firmly as they should. I'm talking about the "X" shapped "anti=squeal spring" as listed in the shop manual & not just the shim plate. Might want to do a search as several Members complained of the "clicking" noise & most were attributed to the spring ( usually noticed after a brake job ). Good luck!
Old 03-16-02, 07:30 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
With my rotors (AP Racing...Cross Drilled and slotted...) you can DEFINITELY hear them working...
W/SupraTT brakes upgrade using C/D rotors there is a definite sound increase, and it isnt any type of squeeking, its a deeper hum.....AND IT SOUNDS TOUGH AS HELL!!!!! No mushy pedal and harsh vibration like my stock set-up. It feels like the car is 1K lbs. lighter.

Last edited by tinygs; 03-16-02 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-16-02, 11:03 PM
gs4power
Driver

With Brembo setup you get a very slight hum... only noticed with radio off, windows closed and if you're really paying attention...but believe me it is a refined kind of sound. No squeaking at all.
Old 03-24-02, 07:30 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Would u have to replace the pads if they are brand new...I plan to pick up a new GS this winter, and just throw on the cross drilled rotors right after....

Also what are my choices for cross drilled rotors? Like what brands and how much do they cost and where to get them from? I would care more about the look and price(rather it be lower then higher ) then the performance "X" has over "Y"....
Old 03-25-02, 04:30 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my TRD Brake upgrade installed 2 weeks ago. No complain at all. No noise.. except sticky brake.... Goad Achieve..

By the way.. I did not replace any of the anti-squel spring on my car..
Old 03-27-02, 07:54 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Thanks for all the comments and inputs regarding my original question.

I just ordered a set (front & rear) Bradi Drilled/Slotted rotors (OEM size) and EBC Greenstuff Pads. I expect to I'll have them on by the end of April. I'm in no big hurry since my OEM brakes still have life left in them. The Bradi rotor is either Cad of Zinc plated so it tends to look good and slows down the corrison (rust) process. I plan to paint (w/ heat resistant paint) the rotor hub prior to install in an attempt to avoid the rusting all together. We'll see. I'll also paint the calipers as well.

In terms of noise "Sport disc brake rotors will produce some additional noise. It's not uncommon to hear a whinning noise as the brake pads rub over the dimples, drill holes and grooves while driving. While some noise will remain, it's level will become less noticable as the rotors and pads break in." This quote comes from Tire Rack's catalog. This supports the feedback I was able to acquire. Assuming you install them correctly there should no squeaks or groins.

Thanks once again for the informative feedback.