Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Knock in front end when quickly turning right

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 09:46 PM
geargrindr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knock in front end when quickly turning right

I hope someone out there can help. When driving and quickly moving the steering wheel back and forth I get a knock noise when turning right. This noise seems to be getting louder and I can hear a thud in a straight line over irregular roads. I cannot duplicate the noise with the car in park and moving the steering wheel back and forth. I know the rack bushings need to be replaced but do not think that is the source of the noise. I also have no tread left on the inside left front tire. Does anyone have any ideas? Mileage is 77K Thanks for your help.
Old 02-18-09, 07:49 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

have you checked your ball joints... both upper and lower???
Old 02-18-09, 06:33 PM
geargrindr
Driver School Candidate

Default Ball joints

While I had it on the drive on hoist I raised the front end up and placed a big bar under the tire and lifted. No noticable movement al all. I see lots of ball joint postings but mine do not seem bad maybe I am not checking them right but that method sure works on other cars. Have you got any ideas
Old 02-19-09, 11:03 AM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

did you try and turn your wheels left and right all the way???? make any noise??? if it does you need to replace the ball joint. but my car kinda pulled to both side on uneven road. i found out that my OEM bushing was weak... welll i had my car for 1 years now. i lowered it. with nf210's and put some 19s with greddy lip in front. got it up on the alignment rack at my work. drove up fine... after 2~3 weeks later i noticed my alignment was kinda off a little so i wanted check it out this time my car touched rack little but i was able to make it up. after that month later. my car got lower. i first thought that my spring was defect or something because nf210 are not that low. and this time i couldn't make it up on the alignment rack and cracked the lip. and my car was keep pulls to left and right. so i researched and try to replace bushing from daizen. all of my problem is gone and plus my handling and ride got a lot better then before and when i was checking out my car looks like the sagging suspension from bushing stresses my ball joint a lot. i also checked my ball joint and they were fine.
Old 02-19-09, 10:05 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

are you slammed at all? it might be that upper balljoint hitting.
Old 02-19-09, 10:10 PM
geargrindr
Driver School Candidate

Default Ball joints keep coming back as the missing link

Exodus2 thanks for your thoughts. Seems like Lexus has some problem areas. I would hate to think that by installing L-Tuned struts and springs would make my ball joints ware out faster. With all the problems I have seen in the forums about lower ball joints I will order them along with the rack bushing kit and see if the noise goes away when they are installed. But I have my doubts. I have not heard of any problems with the upper ball joints is that correct?