Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hks Hyper Damper Ii

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-02, 03:50 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hks Hyper Damper Ii

OK,

This morning, I finally got the 4th shock replaced with HKS HYPER DAMPER II, now my SC400 is seating on all HKS coilover thanks to C_IRIE's suspension information, the job became so much easier. I've never replaced any shocks by myself but I thought I should give this a try on this Lexus. Anyways, I started on Friday night, spent about 5 hours on both front shocks, Saturday, spent about 1 and 1/2 hours on left rear shock and finally spent about an hour this morning for the right stubborn rear shock. All together I spent close to 8 hours to replace my existing Eibach/Tokico combo with the MKIV Supra HKS HYPER DAMPER II and I think the time spent was well worth it.

I am really impressed with these shocks and I am beginning to question why HKS does not make the HYPER DAMPER kit for Lexus SC400 specifically.

Anyways, I had/am going to have a lot of fun adjusting height and damper (30 settings, wow!!!) to find out the best setting for my taste.

One thing I haven't figured out is that the rear shocks will make annoying noises when going over the potholes. I will play with the rear shocks a bit to find the solution and with alignment and other adjustments that I will do in the near future, I think I have the best shocks with the price of under $900. I really gotta thank the person who sold me the kit over Ebay but due to the lack of support and right tools that was not included in the deal, I will omit this part.

The bottom line is that MKIV Supra HKS HYPER DAMPER II is a BIG improvement over the TOKICO/EIBACH setup.

By the way, I have EIBACH Prokit for SC400 for sale, who wants to buy it from me

Peter~
Old 03-04-02, 10:06 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Cupete, that sounds like a great deal on the HKS coilovers. Are they new?

How's the ride quality and handling? Is the luxury feeling completely lost or is it a good compromise? At which setting do you currently use them?

I'm still trying to figure out if I should go for TEIN CS or the HKS.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 03-05-02, 03:31 PM
cupete
Pole Position

I got the used HKS from a person, he stated that it was on the car for about 1000 miles, which I do not agree from looking at all the scratch marks on the strut pillows.

However, new or used, I really like the way this HKS handles, right now I have them set up at the softest and it is really soft yet stiff enough to achieve better cornering than Tokico/Eibach combo.

I can't say much about Tein CS but right now, I am having fun adjusting the HKS coilover. After getting the alignment today, the car feels a lot better than yesterday.

Oh yeah, I forgot to include one thing. With the previous Tokico/Eibach combo, my car would wander around on freeways to the point where I had headaches driving the car. After replacing it with the HKS, the problem is magically gone. This made me to think, could worn shocks make your vehicle wander around?

Peter~
Old 03-16-02, 02:55 PM
siberhuskie
Driver School Candidate

I am considering the Tokico Eibach combo, but now after reading your post I think I have changed my mind. Do you know how much your HKS kit is new? Do you have the part number? Please get back to me. I am very interested in researching this kit that you bought. siberhuskie@charter.net
Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-18-02, 09:19 AM
cupete
Pole Position

I think it costs over $2500 new, however, I heard people saying you can buy one for as low as $1600. Also, if you don't mind used coilover system, you can try supraforums.com and search the for sale section or thepartstrader.com under supra section for a nice set of used HKS Hyper Damper II for around $1300. HKS do not make coilovers for SC300/400 so you need to look for one that fits supra MKIV. For the part number, go to hksusa.com

Peter~