Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Increase steering rack speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-02, 12:28 AM
g-force
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Increase steering rack speed

I don't know if this bugs anyone else, but the GS's steering feels pretty slow (# of turns to lock). Does anyone know of a steering rack upgrade? The IS300 or Honda S2000, for example, has fast steering which goes a long way towards making the cars feel morel lively.

Heheh, the dealer told me the L-tuned steering ECU would do this... Last time I checked, electronics couldn't change gear ratios. Firmer is nice, but I want faster!
Old 03-04-02, 07:59 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Increase steering rack speed

Originally posted by g-force
fast steering which goes a long way towards making the cars feel morel lively.
Welcome to C/L 'g'

Faster might be what you'd like, but the GS is still a big car, and you may wind up introducing some oversteer into the equation.

Your steering may be quicker, but the big GS will still take time to react if you don't firm up the rest of the susp. STBs, sways, LCBs... Just a thought.
Old 03-04-02, 07:32 PM
g-force
Driver School Candidate

hi, thanks for the welcome

Indeed, fast steering makes a car a handful at high speeds and can "unsettle" the car resulting in fishtailing and oversteer. It's also true that the GS has some bulk... but not much more so than, say, an Audi S4.

Currently I'm running Tein HA adjustable coilovers, a TRD strut brace and the TRD lower chassis brace, so I don't think a steering upgrade would be out of order... trying to make the GS sporty enough to tide me over until either the Nissan/Infiniti GT-R or Toyota FXS finally arrives. The GS is a fabulous luxury car, and hopefully with a few final touches, a good performer on the track. Have you heard of any such steering ratio upgrades from TRD or perhaps Tom's?

Anyhow, you seem to be interested in handling dynamics... i suppose anyone in this forum would be. there's a track event at Buttonwillow coming up in April, and it would be great to NOT be the only Lexus there this time
Check it out- http://www.unlimitedlaps.com
Attached Thumbnails Increase steering rack speed-thunderhill-collage.jpg  
Old 03-05-02, 04:05 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet pics g-force.

I didn't know that you were experienced in these subjects, so don't interpret my remarks as condecending. Yeah, the ECU would definitely add to your setup, for sure, but I agree that it won't be quick by any means.

I've got the LTuned spings and shocks, F&R TRD Sways, and F&R UGO STBs, and the ubiquitous LTuned Steering ECU. This setup provides me with some pretty decent handling for dailiy driving without too much stiffness, and the occasional spirited driving on freeways and curvy low traffic areas. I am contemplating the TRD Front LCB, and maybe even teh TOMS rear multi-piece LCB (6 pieces Manaray?) but not sure if that'll put me over the edge; I recently added 19x9.5 / 18x18.5s, and of course these add to the stiffer ride as well.

I'd love to do some track events, and actually there are some at the Charlotte (Lowes) Motor Speedway, but I hear you really gotta be on your game from what I hear since it is not very friendly to brand new track drivers.

Man, those pics really look sweet - you have any more? If so, PM me and I'll shoot you my email address so you can send me the hi res ones.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-02, 08:16 AM
chaskim
Pole Position

Default Increase steering rack speed

I don't think you can make the GS steer faster but reduce roll, YES. If you can find it TRD has a steering upgrade box aroung $170 and its supposed to make the steering tighter. Tom's make a Front Lower Chassis Brace that has 2 more bars for support than TRD's. Plus I have heard that TOM'S Rear Lower Chassis Brace and front and with Advox Suspension System elimates all roll. But this is just talk because everything will run about $4000 to $5000 not installed. I have acouple of links to web pages for parts below. I'm working on getting some TRD sway bars and the Tom's chassis braces right now, the Advox Suspension System is the most expensive...I'm still thinking about. Hope I helped.

Tom's Web page: http://www.denovousa.com/tomsgs.htm
TRD through Carson Toyota:
http://l-tunedparts.com/html/partsordering.html

Let me know if you get these parts and I will let you know when I get them
chaskim
Old 03-07-02, 11:41 AM
g-force
Driver School Candidate

Hey Dexter, no worries, it's cool... Since I didn't post my list 'o mods, i think you brought up some good points, as the first thing to "fix" on this car is definitely the soft springs and shocks. Even so, the first time I took it to the track it was stock with the stock 17's and I did alright. The GS400 certainly is fast in the straights, and you can throttle-steer the car quite well. My friend, who is a very experienced in racing M3's, said that the car is perfectly balanced and is just softly sprung. Needless to say, the coilovers have changed all that I have a ton more pics and a few in-cockpit videos from various places if you're interested.

chaskim, Advoxes are pricey coilovers; I don't know much about them, but i'd reconsider if they're really 2-3 times better than Teins. Is that TRD steering box you're talking about the L-Tuned steering ECU? It sounds like roughly the correct price... if it is, then you're right in that it will only make the steering firmer without changing the rate.... oh well