Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension mods for GS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 08:50 PM
badboy_4fun_wa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension mods for GS300

Looking for people who have done the mods on a GS300. With the weight difference I figure it will handle different then all the advice for GS400.

My top priority is to add suspension/wheels and tires plus grill and rear spoiler. Anyone else out there want to share your oppions on this who has experience on the GS300.

I wanted a GS400 but settled for the 300 because I found an extremely clean low miles one for $24,500 (98 35k miles). Felt pretty good about that until I consider buying all the new toys I have seen out here!

Thanks in advance....Bill
Old 02-28-02, 10:54 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There isn't much of a weigh difference because the GS300 has an Iron Block and the GS400/430 has an Aluminum Block...

For suspensions, I would do Coilovers. You can get some good ones from Tein or APEXi for around $1000. Or you can step up to H&R, HKS, or higher end Teins (like the CS or FLEX)...it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I would also consider doing the TRD Sway Bars and the full compliment of TOM'S braces (Front LCB, Rear LCB, 6-piece rear link kit) and some STBs (UGO, TOM'S, TRD, etc...) if you're into handling...

If you're just lowering it for "looks", then you can just go with the basic L-Tuned spring/shock setup...highly recommend AGAINST doing just springs. That's the ricer way.

The Grille and Rear Spoiler are just cosmetic so I would do those last...I wouldn't sacrifice on the suspension components or wheels just to get those two items...

For wheels, your budget will really determine what you can get. If you looking to get 20's for $2000, forget it...just get some decent 19's or 18's instead.
Old 03-02-02, 06:19 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my L-tuned springs/shocks installed couple months ago on my GS3 and all I can tell you is my ride is so sweet. It worth's 100%. I lost no comfort and quality ride. Looks better, control better. I should do it earlier.

Still has some body roll but a lot better than before. The road in Dallas, Texas is not very good but it hangs out all right.
Anyway, suspension / 18+ wheels mods are essential for GS car. It looks sporty that way.

Grill and rear spoiler - like manaray said should have lower priority.
Old 03-02-02, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by damnboy
I have my L-tuned springs/shocks installed couple months ago on my GS3 and all I can tell you is my ride is so sweet. It worth's 100%. I lost no comfort and quality ride. Looks better, control better. I should do it earlier.

Still has some body roll but a lot better than before. The road in Dallas, Texas is not very good but it hangs out all right.
Anyway, suspension / 18+ wheels mods are essential for GS car. It looks sporty that way.
I agree with what you say! And if you want to basically eliminate the body roll, get the TRD sways - they're as much of an improvement in reducing body roll and improving control as L-Tuned was over stock springs/shocks.