Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

UAS air with KYB vs. Stocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 10:47 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default UAS air with KYB vs. Stocks?

I believe some have put the UAS kit on stocks before right? Hows the ride quality compared to with KYB? or rather how 'bout this. Is it the KYB strut that creates the stiff ride at pretty much any level, or is it the bags in general? I remember having bags on my other ride, but they weren't strut bags, they were just the bag and were MUCH more comfortable! IF it is the KYB causing the ride, then what drawbacks are there in using the stockers?
Old 01-07-09, 11:02 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no complaints with the KYB GR-2s as far as ride quality. They are very comfortable. The GR-2s are the stock replacements.
Old 01-07-09, 11:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, I thought the same thing! I can FEEL that they want to be comfortable... but IDK, just feels very rough... I think it may be because of the 22's, I cant drive low enough to get that nice ride. by any chance do you have the Dakota Digital gauge on your setup? If so, what ride hight do you ride at? I'm confident that mine are just too inflated....
Old 01-08-09, 07:39 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yea, I thought the same thing! I can FEEL that they want to be comfortable... but IDK, just feels very rough... I think it may be because of the 22's, I cant drive low enough to get that nice ride. by any chance do you have the Dakota Digital gauge on your setup? If so, what ride hight do you ride at? I'm confident that mine are just too inflated....
im pretty sure the 22s have a lot to do with it. i guess you have to find that sweet spot. i dont have the dakota digital gauge. my favorite driving height is around 35 psi front and about 40 back. it is low enough to minimize the wheel gap but still cushy enough to absorb bumps so i dont bottom out at every road imperfection. when i do drive higher, to try to delay inner camber wear (never had an alignment before with bags), the car feels firmer, but thbut at the expense of 4x4 height. i am on 20s by the way, and if all goes to plan ill be mditching the kybs for coils. goodluck.
Old 01-08-09, 08:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

thats weird... I ride with rear at 30 front at 35? and when I speak about rough ride, im not talking about the ride 22's give, I'm talking about not riding like on water. I though bags were suppose to be smooth like gliding on "air"? When I drive theres NO play when the car rolls, it feels like my 350z with the sports suspension! UGH, very rough and noisy might I add... Once I get the front fenders rolled, I'm going to go down to 30 up front and see if it feels better. I notice the lower I go the smoother it rides.
Old 01-11-09, 06:42 PM
toeb
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what type of bags are you on and how they were installed make alot of diference. im on the uas and stock strut mine arnt noisy unless slamed. and i roll real low!!
Old 01-11-09, 11:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

how does the installation change the noise factor? I can see the fronts being an issue, but since the rears have shafts that go into the top hat, I would think that would stop any movement the bag would make... (or maybe its the other side where the strut goes through) :thinking to self:
Old 01-13-09, 02:50 PM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

how does the installation change the noise factor? I can see the fronts being an issue, but since the rears have shafts that go into the top hat, I would think that would stop any movement the bag would make... (or maybe its the other side where the strut goes through) :thinking to self:

If you could email me some pictures i can see if there is anything that stands out to me. If something is hitting or moving it can cause noise. Usually the first thing i always suggest to check is the upper strut bolt. If that is loose then you will have a constant "tapping" noise while you drive.
Old 01-13-09, 04:31 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UniAirSusp
If you could email me some pictures i can see if there is anything that stands out to me. If something is hitting or moving it can cause noise. Usually the first thing i always suggest to check is the upper strut bolt. If that is loose then you will have a constant "tapping" noise while you drive.
Hmmm... good call. I'll check that cause I do have a constant tapping noise. SOMETIMES its not there at all though... I'll go check.
Old 02-02-09, 12:14 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Not when you have LARGE rims. It wont be a dreamy ride but a bumpy one.
Old 02-02-09, 03:57 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Not when you have LARGE rims. It wont be a dreamy ride but a bumpy one.
seems like nobody understood the topic... big rims or not, my experience with bags gave me the smooth ride like "riding on air" or say a boat on water. Ever ridden in an OOOLLLD caddy how it floats? Thats what I thought I was going to get out of this (to a certain extent). I understand big rims are gonna make every bump felt (thats not a problem) but they have nothing to do with how the air "pogos" up and down. I had bags on my lincoln and they floated like air (like I would suppose they would). However, now i'm thinking it may have a lot to do with the weight of the car. My lincoln was 6000lbs. This weekend I had 4 "large" (lol) people in the car for the first time and surprisingly had a great ride!
Old 02-02-09, 09:16 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

seems like nobody understood the topic... big rims or not, my experience with bags gave me the smooth ride like "riding on air" or say a boat on water. Ever ridden in an OOOLLLD caddy how it floats? Thats what I thought I was going to get out of this (to a certain extent). I understand big rims are gonna make every bump felt (thats not a problem) but they have nothing to do with how the air "pogos" up and down. I had bags on my lincoln and they floated like air (like I would suppose they would). However, now i'm thinking it may have a lot to do with the weight of the car. My lincoln was 6000lbs. This weekend I had 4 "large" (lol) people in the car for the first time and surprisingly had a great ride!
Your thinking of a "sleeve" style bag, those will give you the "float", but your handling is out the window. The best thing to have will be a stiffer rebounding shock, pref. an adjustable shock, so that you can tune in what you like for the ride. Also the further away you mount the valves the softer it will make it.
Old 02-02-09, 01:33 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Your thinking of a "sleeve" style bag, those will give you the "float", but your handling is out the window. The best thing to have will be a stiffer rebounding shock, pref. an adjustable shock, so that you can tune in what you like for the ride. Also the further away you mount the valves the softer it will make it.
yea thats what I thought (about the sleeve) I believe I made reference to that earlier on here (or on an other thread)... Yea it was an other, I complained saying I should have just spent the other grand on them . IMO, my car lost its "class" with these "doughnut" style bagovers... Still not a bad deal though, I still turn heads! thats all that matters.... HEY? Does UAS offer a sleeve styled bag for the GS? cause in the famous words from 'what about Bob', "Gimme Gimme Gimme... I need I need!" :P
Old 02-02-09, 01:40 PM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

yea thats what I thought (about the sleeve) I believe I made reference to that earlier on here (or on an other thread)... Yea it was an other, I complained saying I should have just spent the other grand on them . IMO, my car lost its "class" with these "doughnut" style bagovers... Still not a bad deal though, I still turn heads! thats all that matters.... HEY? Does UAS offer a sleeve styled bag for the GS? cause in the famous words from 'what about Bob', "Gimme Gimme Gimme... I need I need!" :P
What kind of struts do you have right now? And aprox how many miles are on them?

We don't do any sleeve bags because we go for performance handling.
Old 02-02-09, 04:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

What kind of struts do you have right now? And aprox how many miles are on them?

We don't do any sleeve bags because we go for performance handling.
Thats funny cause the handling is pretty terrible! (no offense) This is all a brand new set up (from the date of this original post) I'm running KYB struts maybe 500-1000 miles (I took a few trips ). With the sleeves I was running, I dont remember having any problems. I had the Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (the sports coupe) with modified factory bags, and when it came to preformance handling, the car would automatically drop lower for better handling. I honestly dont remember having any body roll or anything. With my current setup, handling is missing something cause i've got some body roll that I dont like. MAYBE cause i'm not low enough due to the 22's.... dont know Since you're the creator guide me in what ever direction I need honestly though, I'm not disappointed with what I've got, the only "complaints" are the 2 I've mentioned which are the non float feeling (which you've just cleared up for me) and the noises that are made (which I've recently believe to have solved with the idea of adding some rubber bushings of some type)

thanks again for all the input and for whatever more youve got for me

Quick Reply: UAS air with KYB vs. Stocks?