Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Trouble installing camber bushing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 07:52 PM
mgtype
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble installing camber bushing

Hello to everyone, just wanted to start by saying that I'm new to CL and that this place has been nothing short of amazing when it comes to all the info I can get here. I have been nothing but a constant lurker so I feel a little guilty for not contributing something other than starting my first post by asking a question but here goes: I ordered the Daizen bushing set for my 98 GS4, I dropped off the castor lower control arm off at a machine shop and they are having a hell of a time installing the new bushing after pressing out the old rubber one. I did clarify that they did remove the metal sleeve/race before attempting the install of the Daizen piece. I have search in here and one member fashioned up a "clamp" using a huge bolt/nut and washers to press the bushing in. Do you guys have any other suggestions that I could pass along to the machine shop before I pick up the arms and try it myself with the home made clamp? I did specify the bushing kit for the 98/99 GS's. Does the new GS's have a bigger bushing and maybe I got that kit instead? Secondly, do I need to unbolt the steering rack so that I can get clearance to remove the lower control arm camber bolt? Thanks and by the way...this place rocks!
Old 01-08-09, 08:39 PM
mgtype
Driver School Candidate

no one on this one? I spoke with the machine shop today and he said he'll make another attempt. I guess the bushing started to flatten outward and he felt hesitant about going further with the press.
Old 01-08-09, 10:12 PM
SLAMDGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine pressed in about almost 2 months ago..they were able to push both of them through..they said that they had to lube the hell out of them first
Old 01-08-09, 10:17 PM
Revenge Motorsports
Driver

Sounds like an inexperienced machine shop find another if possible, a ball joint C-clamp tool should work wonders on this install you always use some lube and clean up the arm after pushing out the old bushing we use a sanding roll to smooth the hole in the arm out.