Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can't get car to drive striaght!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 05:47 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get car to drive striaght!

This is frustrating. I've taken my car to 4 different places for an allignment, and my damn car still won't drive straight. I even took my car to the best allignment guy I could find in town (highly recommended by poeople with lowered cars). The guy alligned everything and says all the numbers look perfect, but still the car wont drive straight. I even took it back and he realligned it. We swapped wheels to rule out tire issue and it made no difference. Anybody every have this issue? I can't figure out for the life of me why I can not get my car to drive in a straight line.

My setup: GS3, Tanabe DF210 springs, KYB GR2 shocks, 20x8.5 (f) 20x9.5 (r), 235/30 (f) 285/30 (r) Falken FK 452 all 4. Everything 4mnths old.

Last edited by truenoboy; 01-07-09 at 06:42 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 01-08-09, 02:14 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tires....tread pattern....installation of tread to tire.

I had the same issue...found out my tire's (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) tread pattern cause me to drift slightly towards the right....right after alignment was done. I too had my alignment shop re-do the alignment...and it still drifted to the right....I later found out another member here had the same issue...it was the tires.

Pete
Old 01-08-09, 07:41 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I ran into this once with a customers car back in my Service Manager days. We ended up putting a set of used tires on her car to show her the difference. How many miles did you put on the tires with the old alignment, during their first four months on your car?
Old 01-08-09, 07:44 AM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
Tires....tread pattern....installation of tread to tire.

I had the same issue...found out my tire's (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) tread pattern cause me to drift slightly towards the right....right after alignment was done. I too had my alignment shop re-do the alignment...and it still drifted to the right....I later found out another member here had the same issue...it was the tires.

Pete
Hmm...so did you change to a different set of tires and saw that the problem went away? That's interesting information. I know a lot of members on here have the same Falkens, but I haven't heard of any drifting issues.
Old 01-08-09, 11:29 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by truenoboy
Hmm...so did you change to a different set of tires and saw that the problem went away? That's interesting information. I know a lot of members on here have the same Falkens, but I haven't heard of any drifting issues.
Yes....switch to Dunlops...and it never drifted again. I got a bad batch of Michelins.

Also, maybe this is a long shot...but check your air pressure...make sure its the same all around. Mines were...so I know its not that... it was my Michelins.

Last edited by PHML; 01-08-09 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-08-09, 03:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by truenoboy
That's interesting information. I know a lot of members on here have the same Falkens, but I haven't heard of any drifting issues.
Funny you say that because I'm having the same problem with the FK452 tires. My car drifts to the right even with an alignment. I gave falken way too many chances. I only bought the 452 because they were suppose to be 'good'. yea..good if you want cheap tires.

Sorry falken, but I've gone through too many sets and been too loyal. I'm going to fork out more this time to get some bridgestones to match my rears.
Old 01-08-09, 03:51 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm going to fork out more this time to get some bridgestones to match my rears.
Stay away from Bridgestones...I had 2 blowouts on them....tires were completely shredded.

Might I suggest Dunlops? I've had great experience with Direzza Z101.
Old 01-08-09, 03:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Really? I've had good results with my bridgestones so far. They are the RE030 (OEM on the GS). I had the bridgestones since I got my car and so far, I've went through 2 sets of falkens, yet the bridgestone is still in the rear with LOTs of miles to go. I may go dunlop since they seem to have promotions often. I'm just sick of falkens.
Old 01-08-09, 04:33 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
i hear too many good/bad about the falken 452's; so i decided against them. i had to get some tires for my stocks and decided to try the falken 912's; they're pretty cheap and i heard only good things. so far so good (knock on wood). i was thinking of switching to BFGs or bridgestone after the falkens are gone...but i barely drive my car, lol

back on topic, OP best of luck to you and try changing the tires out, as others are recommending...let us know!
Old 01-08-09, 04:57 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Debonair

I ran into this once with a customers car back in my Service Manager days. We ended up putting a set of used tires on her car to show her the difference. How many miles did you put on the tires with the old alignment, during their first four months on your car?
Hard to really answer that question. 1st time I took it to sears days after putting the tires on. They messed up the toe and caused me to have slidding issues in the rain. Got my money back and went to Tires Plus 2 weeks later. Car drove striaght for the most part but steering wheel was at an angle and not striaght. Following week took it back, and made them re-adjust it. That resulted in the steering wheel being straight, but now the car drifting. Took it back to them 2 more weeks in a row after that for adjustments, they still couldn't get it right (camber, pulling and all). They even had me go to another Tires Plus location to see if they can do better adjustments then they could. Didn't work! Got my money back from them and took it to a (3rd and final) place 5/6 weeks after initially putting on the wheels. Alot better then before (everything in spec), but still drifting to the right.

The better question is how long was on the tires with bad allignments? About 6 or so weeks.

Originally Posted by PHML
Yes....switch to Dunlops...and it never drifted again. I got a bad batch of Michelins.

Also, maybe this is a long shot...but check your air pressure...make sure its the same all around. Mines were...so I know its not that... it was my Michelins.
42psi on all fours.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Funny you say that because I'm having the same problem with the FK452 tires. My car drifts to the right even with an alignment. I gave falken way too many chances. I only bought the 452 because they were suppose to be 'good'. yea..good if you want cheap tires.

Sorry falken, but I've gone through too many sets and been too loyal. I'm going to fork out more this time to get some bridgestones to match my rears.
I take my statement back. Looks like we might have a common issue here brewing with the FK452s
You're just like me, I've given Falken too many chances. I've been a loyal Falken buyer for all my cars for over 10yrs now. Doesn't look like this year will make year 11 though.

Last edited by truenoboy; 01-08-09 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammer