Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is it possible to burn brake fluid? (like engine oil) LoL

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 08:49 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Is it possible to burn brake fluid? (like engine oil) LoL

I would say no, but heres the deal.

About 2 months ago I started hearing the "sensor" (that motor sound behind the dash for the brakes) moving a lot, but thought nothing much of it. Then about 2 weeks ago my brake light went on. No biggie, time to change the brakes. I looked a all 4 brakes and determined that it was the rears that needed to be changed. I had a pair sitting there that I had bought a few months back, so I went to install them... Come to find out that they have like 3/4 of pad still there. Ok... must be the fronts. I go get a set and begin the install... Once again, about 3/4 pad still there. So I went to check the fluid, and it was almost bone dry! Whoa! First thing I though was maybe I've got a leak or something. So I filled it and began to keep an eye on it and obviously the "motor" sound went back to not sounding all the time. Well today I noticed the motor going a bit more than usual, so I went to check the fluid again and its low? No, not dry, just a bit low. about 1/4" - 1/2" below the line. Now there is no sign of leaking. I park in my garage EVERY day (no drips or puddles) no sign of leaking around calipers and such, I park in the same place at work, no signs there either; thus the reason for saying its being burnt away! . Now IF its a leak, its got to be a very slow one so this may be Beesh to find.

Anybody have any ideas what it could be?
oh yea, and braking is fine.
Old 12-11-08, 10:07 AM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it might be leaking into the brake booster. You can't see the leak, but it is not a good thing.
Old 12-11-08, 10:21 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh. my. god.

considering the brake fluid is nowhere near any type of combustion, no.

you can have a leak...you can have low pads keeping the pistons from going back in and lowering your fluid level. You CAN NOT. burn brake fluid off.

even if your fluid is hitting the brakes and hitting the heat/friction, that's still a leak, not it being burned off or evaporating.
Old 12-11-08, 04:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
Sounds like it might be leaking into the brake booster. You can't see the leak, but it is not a good thing.
I vote this as one of the possible case.

Doesn't really help that you may now have air in the system and air in the master cylinder is not as easy to remove as air in the brake lines.

Try to bleed the brakes, but this time bleed the brake booster first then do the normal bleeding procedures.
Old 12-11-08, 05:17 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
oh. my. god.

considering the brake fluid is nowhere near any type of combustion, no.

you can have a leak...you can have low pads keeping the pistons from going back in and lowering your fluid level. You CAN NOT. burn brake fluid off.

even if your fluid is hitting the brakes and hitting the heat/friction, that's still a leak, not it being burned off or evaporating.
Dude! It was a joke! thus the "LoL" put on there... I'm not ignorant to cars.. I just wanted a catchy title to pull some readers

Originally Posted by GSteg
I vote this as one of the possible case.

Doesn't really help that you may now have air in the system and air in the master cylinder is not as easy to remove as air in the brake lines.

Try to bleed the brakes, but this time bleed the brake booster first then do the normal bleeding procedures.

sounds good, i'll try that.
Old 12-11-08, 05:19 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
what type of symptoms are there if this is the case?