Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 06:10 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Installed... now the rear feels planted down. I used FIGS end links and FIGS poly bushings for the sway bar.

Name:  20150213_121416.jpg
Views: 4352
Size:  242.9 KB
Old 02-17-15, 08:49 AM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
I have an '09 IS250 AWD.

To confirm, even though Lexus came out with the new F Sport sway bar set for AWD, PN PTR02-53096, it is still possible to use the old AWD F Sport rear sway bar, PN PTR02-53080, correct?

If so, is there any pros/cons in using the old rear sway bar (PTR02-53080) instead of the new F Sport AWD rear sway bar (53096)?
hi, respectfully requesting a confirmation if I can use the old F sport rear sway bar for my '09 AWD IS250 or if I must use the new F sport rear sway bar that comes only in a set. many thanks in advance for the confirmation/clarification.
Old 02-23-15, 02:49 PM
huyz13
Rookie

Originally Posted by huyz13
hi, respectfully requesting a confirmation if I can use the old F sport rear sway bar for my '09 AWD IS250 or if I must use the new F sport rear sway bar that comes only in a set. many thanks in advance for the confirmation/clarification.
anyone? bueller? please help a brotha out!
Old 02-23-15, 03:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^My quote from another thread concerning the fitment of the silky rear bar. The answer also applies here:

Originally Posted by flowrider
Actually, IMO, it's not something you want to do on an AWD IS. While the Sikky probably will fit, Lexus discontinued the Rear Only Bar for the AWD IS for a reason. It simply was too much from the smaller front bar and stock AWD suspension to handle. Attached is a chart I created a number of years ago, by crawling under new cars on a dealer's lot. From this chart you can see why the Lexus F-Sport folks discontinued the rear only kit and went with a Front/Rear balanced approach. Note how the front bar on the AWD F-Sport kit is larger than the RWD kit and the rear bar a bit smaller.

It's really not only if it will fit, it's will it improve handling.
Lou
Attached Thumbnails Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!-isway-bar-specs.jpg  
Old 03-09-15, 02:02 PM
jyeung12
Driver School Candidate

I have a quick question, I was trying to install a rear sway bar onto my 2010 is250 awd and ran into problems. The endlink that allows the old swaybar to come out was heavily rusted. So during my install, i slightly stripped the hex on the bolt with the allen key there still some grip but not enough to get the bolt free. What are my options? Some of you guys have dremmeled it off but where did you get the replacement bolt or do you have to replace the whole link/arm as in number 4 on this diagram from mylparts. Also the replacement parts states that its for 2wd, mines awd does that make a difference? thanks

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2010/L...iagram=8916530
Old 03-19-15, 06:33 PM
LucianoLee
Driver

^ I put both front and rear bars on today. Got it done at a local shop, 2 guys there was doing it and I jumped in to help as well. Got both bars on in around 30 mins. That nut for the end link is just a regular one. Nothing special about it. I would bring the end link with me to a hardware store to find anything that would fit.
Old 03-20-15, 12:43 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a regular nut... But it NEEDS locktite. I reused my oem nut and it fell off while driving!

The new nut I bought from Lexus is less than $2 and comes with locktite already on the threads.
Old 03-20-15, 09:34 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jyeung12
I have a quick question, I was trying to install a rear sway bar onto my 2010 is250 awd and ran into problems. The endlink that allows the old swaybar to come out was heavily rusted. So during my install, i slightly stripped the hex on the bolt with the allen key there still some grip but not enough to get the bolt free. What are my options? Some of you guys have dremmeled it off but where did you get the replacement bolt or do you have to replace the whole link/arm as in number 4 on this diagram from mylparts. Also the replacement parts states that its for 2wd, mines awd does that make a difference? thanks

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2010/L...iagram=8916530
I have a similar issue with my sway bar endlinks for my IS 250 AWD, I was able to get the nut half way out before it started to strip the hex. What my mechanic and I did was use locking pliers on the end of the bolt where the it meets the rubber part and then used an air ratchet to get the nut off (letting the pliers push on the undercarriage as the nut is being worked on with the air ratchet). The other side was so badly rusted that we unbolted the whole link and took the sway bar with the link together dremmeled the endlink off the bar and destroyed the rubber ball joint cover trying to remove the nut off that endlink.

His recommendation which helped with the final reinstallation of the endlinks was to buy new endlinks and nuts. It was super easy to thread and torque down without the need of the hex. Only drawback that it cost a good amount; a $167 fix to the issue (for two new rear endlinks and nuts), they sent the same part for both (I believe they were AWD though Lexus of Pembroke Pines, though they were AWD and R and L specified, and they were special ordered). When I get around to the front sway, I need to buy two new ones up there as one has a tear on the rubber and it's easier for the reinstall.

Fun thing was driving without a rear sway for almost a week, then the big difference once they were finally installed it's definitely worth it.
Old 03-20-15, 05:53 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
It's a regular nut... But it NEEDS locktite. I reused my oem nut and it fell off while driving!

The new nut I bought from Lexus is less than $2 and comes with locktite already on the threads.
No wonder my car understeer like crazy because one of the nut fell off. My mechanic noticed this during the oil change and he tight it back on with locktite nut.

Everyone u guys SHOULD check the nut especially the left side because it could fall off.
Old 03-23-15, 07:58 AM
jyeung12
Driver School Candidate

an update to my situation earlier, so i had to buy two new endlinks which are not cheap cause the olds were rusted so much, there was no way it was coming off.

as for the sway bar itself, its a bit underwhelming. i think i was expecting too much given i have a 250 awd since all the post stating the night and day difference was the 350. i can feel it on hard turns going on ramps and stuff but i dont notice it on avg street driving. I wouldnt recommend for other 250s especially for the price i paid which was nearly 450 after the bar, new endlinks and labor but like i said, you prob need a 350 to notice a huge difference.
Old 04-02-15, 10:29 PM
Darkchylde
Driver School Candidate

Default sways

Remember you probably won't notice nearly as big a difference if your car is 2009 or later...
Old 04-02-15, 11:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^And why do you believe that?

Lou
Old 04-03-15, 10:26 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkchylde
Remember you probably won't notice nearly as big a difference if your car is 2009 or later...
Why do you think so?
Same question like flowrider lol.
Old 04-05-15, 10:50 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Installed... now the rear feels planted down. I used FIGS end links and FIGS poly bushings for the sway bar.

Is it absolutely necessary to replace the end links and bushings? Or just good to do with the sway bar replacement? I have my bars waiting to put on but want to do it right. Can you provide some part numbers for these figs please? Thank you.
Old 04-06-15, 07:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Bushings come with the bar, and IMHO, they are pretty good. As far as end links, that seems to be a hit or miss proposition. Some folks had end links that were so corroded that they needed to be replaced, others, like me, who live in snow free environments, did not need to replace them.

They only way to be sure is to try and remove them and see.

Lou

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!