Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 06:04 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn..had this on my is350 so i must do it for my is f now!!!

Last edited by allst4r; 03-30-13 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 07:39 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Need....To........Save.....UUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPP!!!
Old 05-17-13, 12:26 PM
vegita40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to revive an old threat or if this question has been answered previously. So I've been reading up on sways for quite awhile and recently decided to take the plunge to order a set. Now I don't have a lift and finding an area to do anything mechanical can be difficult in my neighborhood so I decided to inquire with my dealer about installation and they told me this.

To install the sway bars is 5 hours labor ($695.00) as well a wheel alignment ($139.95) would be necessary after the installation as the sub frame has to be dropped.

My shop foreman also wanted me to let you know that these sway bars do cause a very loud creaking noise, especially in colder weather, and there is nothing that can be done to correct that (we actually had a couple people that wanted their original ones reinstalled because the noise was so bad). Just so you are aware before spending money on the labor to have it installed.

After reading in the forums for so long I've never heard of any of this creaking and the labor charge is absolutely crazy... any comments on the creaking in cold weather?

I will find a mechanic in the mean time
Old 05-17-13, 12:53 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vegita40
Sorry to revive an old threat or if this question has been answered previously. So I've been reading up on sways for quite awhile and recently decided to take the plunge to order a set. Now I don't have a lift and finding an area to do anything mechanical can be difficult in my neighborhood so I decided to inquire with my dealer about installation and they told me this.

To install the sway bars is 5 hours labor ($695.00) as well a wheel alignment ($139.95) would be necessary after the installation as the sub frame has to be dropped.

My shop foreman also wanted me to let you know that these sway bars do cause a very loud creaking noise, especially in colder weather, and there is nothing that can be done to correct that (we actually had a couple people that wanted their original ones reinstalled because the noise was so bad). Just so you are aware before spending money on the labor to have it installed.

After reading in the forums for so long I've never heard of any of this creaking and the labor charge is absolutely crazy... any comments on the creaking in cold weather?

Cant comment on the creaking but thats a complete rip off.

Any experienced mechanic/tech can install the the sway bar in under an hour
Old 05-20-13, 04:18 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vegita40

wow...bro they are looking to get rich from you...the rear you can do yourself honestly, the front you can as well it's just a little more work....however if you fine a mechanic they really SHOULD NOT charge you no more than maybe $100-$150 maxxxx...also there is not squeeking, I have never heard of that, not even from our up north members...and I never did an alignment after either.
Old 05-20-13, 07:45 AM
vegita40
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply guys!
Old 05-21-13, 12:09 PM
Darkchylde
Driver School Candidate

Default sways

Had my rear installed for nearly 3 years now, you can look back at some of my old posts, they start at #248 on page 17. #248 is my original review, I highly recommend reading it as all of those things I said still hold true after 3 years. Anyway I have never had any unusual sounds in any way, not to mention any unbearable creaking (probably another good reason to not have it done there). I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about it. As far as having it installed, my mechanic charged me somewhere right around $75 if I remember correctly (1 hour labor at the time I think) I could be wrong though but I know it wasn't a ton, I considered doing it myself but I just really hate working on cars, even simple stuff, I used to have to do it all the time, and I just really didn't want to get under there and attempt it, I always seem to have the worst luck and something always goes wrong.
Anyway don't even hesitate you won't be sorry, just find somewhere cheaper to install it.
I think a couple hours is fair so whatever their going rate for labor is x 2 or 3 hours tops for both bars, I think probably $150 or so.

Also I'm getting my front on tomorrow and will be posting a review shortly thereafter, unfortunately or fortunately however you want to look at it, I am also getting the Figs LCA 90 duro bushings on as well to help with some inside tire wear on the front passenger tire, so that may skew my review some...though I wouldn't think by very much... Anyway good luck and enjoy your sways!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, for sways you *should* not need an alignment after install. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to get it checked, several places will check it for free or very cheap, and then if you actually do need an alignment you can do it, but don't just take their word for it that it needs one automatically, because nothing they should be doing under there should cause it to need one.

Last edited by Darkchylde; 05-21-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-21-13, 01:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LOL 5 hours of labor? I did the front sway bar myself in 1.5 hours including prep and I was taking my time. This should take no longer than 2 hours with a lift. It would be so ridiculously easy with a lift
Old 05-21-13, 04:23 PM
vegita40
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I agree, pretty ridiculous quote. Anyway, I should have both the front and rear installed Saturday for $119. I will report back with results thanks.
Old 05-22-13, 04:31 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

I paid someone $20 and he had it done it 15 minutes for the rear. It's been over 2.years now and never once have I heard a creaking sound.
Old 05-23-13, 08:00 AM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

Installing front and rear F-sport sways on my 09 350 today. Thinking about doing a short vid from outside the car to show the amount of body roll before and after the install. My biggest excitement is the claim about the 350 handling like a 3 series after this sway bar install. We shall see.
Old 05-24-13, 09:36 AM
Darkchylde
Driver School Candidate

Default sways

As far as the 350 handling like a 3 series with the sways on, I can tell you that it is unfortunately not true. After having the front on for a couple of days, (I have had the rear on for 3 years and it is absolutely 100% a no brainer must have!) I can tell you that there is less body roll for sure, but from what I can tell, no extra grip. Also a very small amount of the luxury feel seems missing (I'm sure this has some to do with the LCA bushings that were installed at the same time, perhaps all to do with them, unfortunately I have no way of knowing) probably not so much that most people couldn't live with it, but I notice it sometimes...on top of that it is sometimes obvious that every ounce of the car wants to roll/lean but you can feel the front sway resisting, this can feel a little strange to me sometimes. All of that being said, I am getting a little more used to the feel and an seems less strange each day, and perhaps I will even grow to like it. But don't expect miracles from the front bar, it will not make it feel like a BMW, not even close. If you have the extra money and really feel like it needs to corner flatter, then get it, but if you are on any kind of budget, just get the rear bar.

On a side note I assume it started in 2009 when they said they did a suspension overhaul, but I drove a 2012 or 2013 AWD model, that felt amazing, very close to the 3 series, if you've got a 2009 on up (I'm assuming, because I haven't driven an '09) You do not need the sways, they will not make nearly the same difference on those models. Those cars are very balanced already. On the '08 and below, the rear is essential, because the rear is so soft, it introduces a ton of understeer and makes you slide all around in your seat just going around normal corners. Oh, also, I feel no extra understeer after adding the front bar, and I don't believe it causes any extra NVH, even with the 90 duro bushings, I feel very little extra, and only hear some extra loudness going over bumps when the stereo is not on, when it is on I don't hear any extra noise.

Sorry my post jumped around a little this time, hope it helps though. If I change my mind on any of these things I will post again.
Old 05-24-13, 01:02 PM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

Sooooo I installed the front and rear F-sport sway bars yesterday in 2 1/2 hours on my 09 350. Pretty easy install, no hiccups. No, the car does not handle like a 3 series now. Body roll has been reduced, though I was expecting even less body roll after reading this thread. It seems many have slightly exaggerated. It's definitely more balanced now and I'm very please with the upgrade, I was just expecting a little more bang for the buck I guess. Ride quality seems unaffected, I'm not really sure if it's worse, so that tells you that it's a non issue. I have noticed that the sway bars really shine in some situations and that really makes me pleased with the upgrade......$400 for a more balanced car and stock ride quality, I can dig it.
Old 06-04-13, 01:07 PM
Darkchylde
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

So after having the front sway and bushings on for a couple of weeks now, I have definitely gotten more used to the changes, things don't feel so strange to me anymore, everything feels pretty natural at this point, maybe there was a short "breaking in" period as well, or maybe it was all in getting used to it... I still stand by my original conclusions though, in that, it still is not on par with the 3 series, and the rear bar is definitely the more worthwhile upgrade. That being said, I don't believe there is any real downside to getting the front bar besides the cost, the flatter cornering is nice and in some situations I agree it seems a bit more balanced than it was before. So if you have the money and buy the set it will be a nice upgrade, if you are on a budget just get the rear, and if you already have the rear, and are considering adding the front, go into it with very modest expectations (mainly flatter cornering). For the amount of money the front costs, if I had it to do over again, I would lean slightly more towards not doing the front...but I am also on a bit of a budget...
Old 06-05-13, 10:39 AM
HAiS250
Pole Position

^^^

so the front bar is not worth getting?

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!