Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 09:03 PM
huch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem dude. I wasn't in anyway trying to degrade or put your approach down... it's the right idea, just had a little bit of an error in the numbers.

I agree... the more people that look at this in terms of mechanics, the better it will be in determining it's actual performance versus what's advertised by a company trying to sell the product.

A 42% increase in stiffness from switching to the F sport means the stock front sway bar must have a wall thickness of 3.3mm....versus the 5.9mm from the old claim (6.1%) versus 5.0mm from the claim in the PDF in post #301. I don't know...How can they go from a 5.9mm wall thickness in one instance down a 3.3mm thickness... that's a substantial drop...but hey.. who knows which one is right.
Old 04-15-11, 08:02 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
You are wrong. The ISF bar is a 17mm bar with a different bend. Both of the bars you referenced are identical, except for the added hardware. Some folks need this hardware because their old hardware (bolts) may freeze up and may need to be cut. The specifications and descriptions of both your referenced bars are the same except for the addition of:

Includes additional sway bar brackets and bolts

Lou
Hey Lou,

Looking at both listings once again, I'm confused, just like so many others have been on this thread. I do realize both descriptions are very similar, but one part is listed as an IS-F part, the other for the IS-350/250. One is ~$150, the other is ~$175. When asked about this earlier in the thread (but without referencing the product pages), you replied the IS-F and IS350 bars are slightly different shapes and thus not to mix and match. So which is it?

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...rior/--90.html
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/2178.html

BTW, I've sent an email and follow-up email to the parts guys at Sewell but no response yet... I realize I might be sounding borderling neurotic about this but would rather figure it out 100% before having to hassle with an exchange after failing an attempted install with the wrong part.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-15-11, 08:13 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by huch
No problem dude. I wasn't in anyway trying to degrade or put your approach down... it's the right idea, just had a little bit of an error in the numbers.

I agree... the more people that look at this in terms of mechanics, the better it will be in determining it's actual performance versus what's advertised by a company trying to sell the product.

A 42% increase in stiffness from switching to the F sport means the stock front sway bar must have a wall thickness of 3.3mm....versus the 5.9mm from the old claim (6.1%) versus 5.0mm from the claim in the PDF in post #301. I don't know...How can they go from a 5.9mm wall thickness in one instance down a 3.3mm thickness... that's a substantial drop...but hey.. who knows which one is right.
Agree fully, and thanks again for the clarification. With F-sport advertising "lightweight design" in some texts for the front bar, it really makes me wonder if that statement is significant in how it relates to the wall thicknesses. I'm excited to see some cut up stock front sways... Any takers??
Old 04-15-11, 09:07 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander311
Hey Lou,

Looking at both listings once again, I'm confused, just like so many others have been on this thread. I do realize both descriptions are very similar, but one part is listed as an IS-F part, the other for the IS-350/250. One is ~$150, the other is ~$175. When asked about this earlier in the thread (but without referencing the product pages), you replied the IS-F and IS350 bars are slightly different shapes and thus not to mix and match. So which is it?

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...rior/--90.html
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/2178.html

BTW, I've sent an email and follow-up email to the parts guys at Sewell but no response yet... I realize I might be sounding borderling neurotic about this but would rather figure it out 100% before having to hassle with an exchange after failing an attempted install with the wrong part.

Thanks,
Nick
I said the ISF bar has a different bend. They are interchangeable in North American Market cars, however in some markets the IS series comes with a full sized spare, in the US it doesn't. The standard bar on all IS series cars, including the F, has a bend to accommodate the full sized spare. The F-Sport bar is built for the North American Market and does not have this bend. I am attaching a pict of my old bar as a reference.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!-img_0442.jpg  
Old 04-22-11, 08:51 PM
wzin
Rookie

I said the ISF bar has a different bend. They are interchangeable in North American Market cars, however in some markets the IS series comes with a full sized spare, in the US it doesn't. The standard bar on all IS series cars, including the F, has a bend to accommodate the full sized spare. The F-Sport bar is built for the North American Market and does not have this bend. I am attaching a pict of my old bar as a reference.

Lou

hey lou, sorry im asking you this again, im new with this mod stuff. i hav a is250 (2010) and only began looking into mod this week or so. from what you said about the sway bars. The ISF sway bar doesn't have the bend and therefore will NOT fit with my is250. or does it depend on where i live and the market? if so... i live in canada, ontario? north american market? What is a full size spare btw? =S sorry for all the questions.
Old 04-25-11, 02:31 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isf bar does have a bend, but for a full size spare, this bend is not enough and right. Ive tried this on my euro is250 and came to conclusion that only the jun tw rear sway bar fits on the car. It has the same sriffness as fsport.
Old 04-25-11, 06:49 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wzin
hey lou, sorry im asking you this again, im new with this mod stuff. i hav a is250 (2010) and only began looking into mod this week or so. from what you said about the sway bars. The ISF sway bar doesn't have the bend and therefore will NOT fit with my is250. or does it depend on where i live and the market? if so... i live in canada, ontario? north american market? What is a full size spare btw? =S sorry for all the questions.
The ISF bar most definitely will fit a world wide IS250. The ISF bar does have the bend, look at the pict I posted above. A full sized spare is a spare tire on a regular wheel that you can use in place of one of your four on ground wheels. North American ISs have a smaller temporary spare tire that sits in a smaller Nacelle in the trunk floor.

Lou
Old 05-01-11, 02:47 AM
PeneAce
Driver School Candidate

I will definitely be doing this!
Old 05-19-11, 11:32 PM
peteypablo
Driver

Exclamation Help pLease!

HELP!!!!!!!??? So for my 06' IS250 should i buy just rear sway or both??? Thanxs
Old 05-23-11, 12:57 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

The ISF bar most definitely will fit a world wide IS250. The ISF bar does have the bend, look at the pict I posted above. A full sized spare is a spare tire on a regular wheel that you can use in place of one of your four on ground wheels. North American ISs have a smaller temporary spare tire that sits in a smaller Nacelle in the trunk floor.

Lou
ISF bar will NOT fit on cars with a full size spare, You will need the Jun TW rear sway bar for sure. I have already tried the ISF bar and this will hit the bodypanel of the spare tire.
Old 05-23-11, 01:42 AM
peteypablo
Driver

Originally Posted by jv250
So for an IS250 RWD, you guys are saying all you need is the F-Sport Sway Bar (REAR)? Rather than the F-Sport Stabilizer Sway Bar Set?
Can anyone answer this for jv250 and me! Since after 40 pages I still don't know!! Thanxs
Old 05-24-11, 12:29 AM
peteypablo
Driver

^^^^ anyone? please???
Old 05-24-11, 05:07 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want the maximum cornering improvement get the full set. If you want the most bang for the buck, get the rear only. Many folks who have contributed to this thread have changed the rear only and have been satisfied. If it was me, I get the full set.

Lou
Old 05-24-11, 12:52 PM
peteypablo
Driver

^^^^It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want the maximum cornering improvement get the full set. If you want the most bang for the buck, get the rear only. Many folks who have contributed to this thread have changed the rear only and have been satisfied. If it was me, I get the full set.

Lou
Thanxs Lou!!!
Old 06-05-11, 12:57 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

just got mine today and love it! big difference

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!