Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS400 Brake pedal travel

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 09:54 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 Brake pedal travel

Finally have the LS400s in (after f***ing up the first one by crossthreading the banjo bolt ) and they feel great except for one thing. I notice that there is a lot of play between the moment i put pressure on the pedal and the moment the brakes kick in. Has anyone noticed this at all?

Adjusting for the problem is pretty easy but kinda annoying that i have to get re used to using the pedals. Also does anyone know if this "dead zone" goes away after upgrading the rears to Supra TTs? I know that the rears now tend to lock up before the fronts and was wondering if that has something to do with it.
Old 10-20-08, 10:19 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Are you sure there isn't air in the front calipers? The rears might not have air in the system and they are breaking better. Either the ABS valve body or the master cylinder is valved different so that you have more line pressure with the stock rear brakes then the LS400 brakes. Not sure if you need to change either of those out ,but someone that has done that might be able to tell you.

Last edited by SHOLEXMAN; 10-20-08 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 11:13 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you bleed the brakes correctly?
Old 10-20-08, 11:48 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

those brake calipers are not meant to be used with that master cylinder. your brake bias is off and it wont go away completely. i would still suggest rebleeding the whole system.
Old 10-20-08, 12:30 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Forgot to mention that i did bleed the system in my front drive with a hand from my roommate. This week or the next i plan to get my shop to flush the entire system. I'm 100% sure that there isn't air in there at all because my roommate has done a ton of brake bleeding. He did notice a lot of air in the front calipers but he is sure he got it.
Old 10-20-08, 05:25 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for better pedal feel you should upgrade to SS brakelines
Old 10-20-08, 05:38 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
those brake calipers are not meant to be used with that master cylinder. your brake bias is off and it wont go away completely.
Yeah that was what i was thinking. Do you need a LS 400 master cylinder or another model master cylinder? That should stop your rear lock up issue if the full brake flush doesn't do anything for you.
Old 10-21-08, 08:06 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I'm pretty sure that you don't need the LS400 master cylinder as the SC300 one is the same size. And even if i did I don't think it works with our brake booster.

Can anyone with this upgrade confirm this?
Old 10-28-08, 02:59 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity (I don't want to thread jack) what did you pay for the LS400 calipers? I'm looking to buy some and want to know what a normal deal is.
Old 10-28-08, 08:20 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I paid $85 per caliper +shipping from rockauto.com Rebuilt, semi-loaded calipers (all the hardware needed, no pads included). They messed up my first order, but their customer service helped me out and i was on my way. Will use them again.

**UPDATE** brake flush completed today. Fluid is all nice and clear (was pretty dirty before). More importantly that pedal feel is much better, but it still feels like there is a dead zone in my brakes. It has been reduced, but i know it's still there. The rear lock-up I can deal with no problems (supra rears during or after winter). I might just go ahead and adjust the pedals again to compensate for it.
Old 10-28-08, 08:56 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

from the previous thread that I read up on, there are NO brake master cylinder upgrade for the SC because either the TT or LS do not bolt up

gabegtz: used LS calipers with rotors and hardware should be in the 250-300 ballpark, anymore and you should just get the TTs
Old 10-28-08, 10:11 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaydee
from the previous thread that I read up on, there are NO brake master cylinder upgrade for the SC because either the TT or LS do not bolt up

gabegtz: used LS calipers with rotors and hardware should be in the 250-300 ballpark, anymore and you should just get the TTs
this is debatable. some SC came with a master cylinder that bolted on with 3 bolts. some came with a master cylinder had only two mounting bolts. obviously each type had their own brake booster to correspond for proper mounting. i have both types sitting on the shelf at my house right now.

my 93 SC300 has a 3 bolt master cylinder. that *****er went bad so i bought the master cylinder off a 95 SC300. came to find out that the booster mounts were different. the guy i got it from gave me the booster for free as an "inconvenience fee".

that said, from what i have been able to gather is:

92-94 SC is 3 bolt master cylinder

95-? SC is a 2 bolt master cylinder

mk4 supra 93-98(i guess) is also a 2 bolt master cylinder

the supra master cylinder mounts with 2 bolts. if you have the right brake booster im 99% sure you can swap master cylinder. this way you can have bigger brakes and a master cylinder with the proper brake bias built right in. this way it will be a complete supra brake swap

95 sc300

aka paco's old 95 sc300

92 sc400...swapped

shern's 93 sc300..swapped

mk4 supra

enjoy. some food for though. i think the new deal brake upgrade list for most people will include the supra tt master cylinder as well.

worst case scenario if you have a pre-95 3 bolt master cylinder you can buy a mk4 supra tt master cylinder and brake booster and swap both.
Old 10-29-08, 11:45 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

make a brake brace, I think they will do good to the pedal feel
Old 10-29-08, 01:38 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

^^^thats one of my winter projects
Old 10-30-08, 05:54 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaydee
make a brake brace, I think they will do good to the pedal feel
wish i had the metal skills to do that. Oh well, I'll start saving up for some MKIV rears and see what that does.

Quick Reply: LS400 Brake pedal travel