Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Soft brake problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 12:59 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im having this same issue on mine and soft pedal feel, the bottom caliper pin on the drivers side did not move it was frozen still so i turned it with the ratchet after spraying some pb blaster and with some effort it will turn but for the life of me i cannot get it out or move it in and out, any ideas how i can get this out guys and gals? thank you

Q
Old 09-05-10, 06:07 PM
joeandchar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
well im having this same issue on mine and soft pedal feel, the bottom caliper pin on the drivers side did not move it was frozen still so i turned it with the ratchet after spraying some pb blaster and with some effort it will turn but for the life of me i cannot get it out or move it in and out, any ideas how i can get this out guys and gals? thank you

Q
The pin may be broken off. Try to pry it out while turning.
Old 09-05-10, 06:29 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang it pics came out small for some reason

yea i was able to get it out after pb blasting the hell out of it, the thing was corroded to hell and the caliper bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket were stretched out like a rubber band, they actually deformed because the pin was stiff.

here are some pics

the new pins on top and old on bottom

look at the bolts they are shaped like a coke bottle lol

greasin them up

used the original pins on top because i managed to get those looking perfect but replaced the bottom in both sides with new ones

Old 10-21-11, 02:02 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownGS4
I would have to say as a former Lexus technician that your best bet to really fixing or helping the soft pedal problem is a new master cylinder. On my GS4 after about 130K the pedal started to get really soft like that. I replaced the master cylinder and brake pedal became much more responsive. Now, unfortunately I think that it costs about $2500. I picked one up for cheep off of a used GS with about 50K on it. Fortunately I think you can just replace the accumulator since it is hydro boost system. And yeah the Lexus/Toyota caliper slides tend to stick more than any other make and model I have worked on in my experience. Blows my mind considering the quality and longevity of almost everything they engineer. I could see a warped rotor causing the pedal pulsation but from what I have seen most of the time that is caused by a rear warped rotor. Fronts usually cause a steering wheel shimmy. I have had front rotors cause a pedal pulsation before though so its sometimes hard to say. And YES you should ALWAYS grease your caliper slides and also the calipers and points that they meet with the pads (with high temp caliper grease). And its never a bad idea to use "never cease" on the threads. Not sure what brand of tools you guys are using or the way they are being used but that is a huge factor in saving or trashing many fasteners. I have never broken or stripped these slides pins coming out. I also have heard that the late model supra calipers (4 piston), and rotors, bolt right up and have a two inch larger diameter than the GS. I really want to try this.
$2500?? how much were your parts?