Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-02, 12:05 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400

I will be upgrading my braking system to the Supra Twin Turbo upgrade (stock supra calipers, steel braided brake lines, stillen cross drilled rotors, and the brake dust sheilds) within the next 2-3 weeks. I should be fine because I'm running a 19 inch rim front and back that has enough offset for the Supra. However, I do have one big question though....I've been told from some people that also need to get the Supra master-cylinder or the Supra leveling value in addition to installing the parts listed above. Is this really true??? Or would I be OK with leaving my GS400's master-cylinder and leveling value as is???

P.S. Pictures to be posted of the upgrade.
Old 02-17-02, 04:16 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400

Originally posted by MRGS400nSoCali
I will be upgrading my braking system to the Supra Twin Turbo upgrade (stock supra calipers, steel braided brake lines, stillen cross drilled rotors, and the brake dust sheilds) within the next 2-3 weeks. I should be fine because I'm running a 19 inch rim front and back that has enough offset for the Supra. However, I do have one big question though....I've been told from some people that also need to get the Supra master-cylinder or the Supra leveling value in addition to installing the parts listed above. Is this really true??? Or would I be OK with leaving my GS400's master-cylinder and leveling value as is???

P.S. Pictures to be posted of the upgrade.
I have that entire upgrade and would be happy to show you a pic.....My BIGGEST suggestion is that you buy ALL of the below parts from Steve Ganz(Carson Toyota 1-800-908-6968 x-2381)
The following is ALL that is required, nothing more...
1-SupraTT front calipers
2-Cross-drilled/balanced rotors on for SupraTT calipers.
3-Set of four SS braided brake lines specifically measured for the GS using SupraTT calipers.
4-You MUST get BOTH a SupraTT fitting kit and shim kit!
5-Your choice of numerous brake pads... I went with the stock SupraTT pad.....(Way TOOOOO much dust!!!)
The one and only modification necessary is to cut a 2x2 inch section out of the heat/dust shield that surrounds the stock caliper.... There is NO reason to remove the entire shield....
Last, you will obviously need brake fluid and I would suggest having the GREEN caliper sandblasted and repainted the color of your choice.(to get rid of the Supra logo as well) RMM only paints over the logo, and it is still visible through their black paint...
Old 02-17-02, 06:02 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Thankx for the info....any good places in southern california to get those supra calipers sandblasted??? I'd like to paint the calipers black to match my car, do you have any suggestions on high temp. paint??? I'm gonna sure the stillen fiber brake pads to minimize dust. I might use the supra dust sheilds and have them powered coated in black. If you have any pictures of your upgraded brakes, please post them, i'd love to see a preview. Thankx for your help and if I have any other questions, i'll PM you.

Martin
Old 02-17-02, 07:05 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Im not sure what you mean by the Supra dust shields?? I havent inspected the Supra enough...I suppose it is the same idea as the shield on the GS, but larger. You will have to make sure it bolts on using the same bolt holes as the GS shield....Here is a pic of the SupraTT brakes w/my old wheels....You have to copy and paste this link into a browser, its not a shortcut....
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/gs400/wheel1.jpg
Old 02-17-02, 09:11 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Looks great. What size where those rims??? So I don't need to replace the lexus master-cylinder and/or the leveling valve with the Supra ones, right??? You got a pic of the rear caliper??? Thankx! =o)
Old 02-17-02, 09:13 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Also, just curious, has the braking performance with the Supra rotors and calipers significantly improved over the the GS brakes???
Old 02-18-02, 11:44 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

How long of an installation time should I expect if I have the car on a lift with a gas compressor???
Old 02-19-02, 05:08 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

1-18" SSR Integral.....NO, you DO NOT need to do anything other than caliper,rotor, pad, lines. Also, I didnt do the rear calipers, only the rotors. Dont know anyone on this board who did all four..Its un-necessary because it will still be a 2 piston rear just like your existing GS caliper....
2-Performance is NIGHT and DAY over stock GS brakes.....
3-Install is 2-3 hours w/air tools on a lift if done neat and meticulously.... Hope this helps... You will be shocked with the bang for buck on this upgrade... Tiny
Old 02-19-02, 06:12 AM
JacobT

I finally tired of the dusty TRD pads and decided to go with EBC green stuff. Just replaced all pads and re-surfaced rotors yesterday. It only took me about 2.5 hours for the job.

I also took some pics and will post them later. I finger got caught in between the rotor and the dust shield so I have a hard time to type on my computer now.
Old 02-19-02, 07:16 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Size of the TT calipers vs. Stock

MrGS400,

if at all possible, sinc you have not started your upgrade, would you mind giving a siz comparison of the TT Caliper vs stock. I am thinking about doing the upgrade, but I don't wan to get new rims...no I don't have the stock 17", I already know they don't fit. It looks like I still have a decent amount of space between my calipers and my spokes, like a 1/2", so I am wondering stop worrying about whether they'll fit, or just go ahead and order the parts. I just don't want to get stuck with the parts if they don't fit.