Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

bilstein hd shock w/stock spring ride height

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 04:37 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bilstein hd shock w/stock spring ride height

hey guys,

i installed bilstein hd shocks about half a year ago with the stock springs and i've only recently noticed that the ride height is much, much higher than what it used to be. there's at least a three inch gap between the top of the rear wheel and the rear fender. also even when i compare it to other GSs with stock suspension mine seems much higher.

so, could the shocks have been installed wrong? is there more than one attachment point on the rear shocks? i will get more detailed measurements this week but if anyone can measure the height from the center of the rear wheel to the tip of the rear fender i would appreciate it.
Old 09-14-08, 06:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

if they are like the ones offered on the LS... they have perches you can set them on that will effect ride height.
Old 09-14-08, 07:06 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
if they are like the ones offered on the LS... they have perches you can set them on that will effect ride height.
do you have more details? any pictures so that i can see what perches you mentioned? and thanks for the input!
Old 09-14-08, 09:23 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well i know the HD's are significantly stiffer than stock. maybe they'll take a little longer to settle in? i can't imagine there's that much adjustability readily available to the owner...
Old 09-14-08, 09:24 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

they were high with my espelirs installed too. i dont know about perches on HDs. give the HDs a few days-a wk to settle and thats it.
Old 09-14-08, 09:39 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
they were high with my espelirs installed too. i dont know about perches on HDs. give the HDs a few days-a wk to settle and thats it.
at least i'm not the only one whose hds were high. when i spoke with the place i ordered them from (i forget where exactly) they said the ride height after the installation would be the same as stock. i had them installed almost a year ago and they're still higher than usual. one point someone brought up is that the new bilstein stocks might make the car appear to sit higher compared to stock due to the fact that the stock shocks on other GSs might be worn enough that they are actually sitting lower today than when they were new.

how do you like your espeliers by the way? i'm thinking about getting that or maybe some nf210s to bring the height down a bit. thanks for the comment/reply 4ntvings!
Old 09-14-08, 09:44 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
my car's shocks had less than 30k on them when i swapped them out; no way they were blown.
i love the espelirs and have ridden them on my HDs and my friends kyb's. i'm going w/kyb's next year.
i dont know about out the NFs, sorry. when i was in the market for s/s combo, i wanted the lowest and closest spring rate to oem.
Old 09-16-08, 07:53 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

GsCrazy Can you post pics of your bilstein HDs+stock springs?
Old 09-16-08, 10:11 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raytseng
GsCrazy Can you post pics of your bilstein HDs+stock springs?
they're on the car already but i'll see what i can do this weekend. i'll try to jack it up to take some pics.
Old 09-16-08, 10:15 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

no need to jack it up, just want to see what you mean by "much, much higher"
Old 09-17-08, 12:16 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
do you have more details? any pictures so that i can see what perches you mentioned? and thanks for the input!
Sorry for the delay. Again, not sure if the GS shocks have the same thing, but here are the perches from my LS HD shocks.
Attached Thumbnails bilstein hd shock w/stock spring ride height-image954-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-20-08, 11:46 PM
Evil Twin
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I have the same set up (bilstein&stock springs) and don't really notice any increase in ride height. Might be 1/4 inch but old shocks were well worn out when I replaced them. When you say ride height is "much much higher" can you be more specific? 1 inch? More compared to height w/stock shocks?Did you install it yourself or did a shop do it for you? The shocks should have come with the clips in the second (higher) position which would be stock height. If you changed it it would only be lower by a 1/2 inch. Did you make sure the bottom spring seat was fully contacting the clip before you installed it in the car?