Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear rotor removal problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 03:32 PM
Lucien911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear rotor removal problem.

Guys,

I'm trying to install my rear spacers but my rear rotors will not come off. I've taken the caliper off and used the two holes in the middle of the rotor to drive two bolts through so I can separate the rotor from the hub, but something inside still feels like it's holding on. I tried to peek through the crack to see what's holding onto the back of the rotor (and HOW for that matter?!?) but I can't see anything tell-tale..

Also, As I was pulling on the rotor by hand (don't want to use a hammer), something inside the hub area popped and broke or something. I have no idea what this is but it's seriously pissing me off. Rear rotors should not have to be this damn hard to take off. I could have had my Evo or Porsche complete done on all four corners by now...

What is that seemingly invisible force holding onto the rear rotor, and how do I get it to release??

Also, I already did a crazy amount of searching but nothing turned up. The only write up around here for rear IS350 brakes is for pads only. Nothing about rotor removal.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lucien911; 09-13-08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-14-08, 08:42 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The reason why you are having so much trouble removing the rear rotors is because the parking brake assembly is located inside the hub of the rear rotor. There is a small rubber plug on the face of the rotor, and you need to turn the rotor around until you see the star wheel inside the hub, so you can adjust the parking brake really loose. This will allow the rotor to be removed. Sometimes the inner drum for the parking brake develops a small lip, and this lip does not allow the rotor to be removed. So find the star wheel, should be on the bottom or the left or right side, and adjust it out, then the rotors will practically fall off.

Sounds like you pulled a bit hard, and may have broken something in the parking brake assembly.. Lets hope you didnt do too much, or any, damage.
Old 09-15-08, 05:11 AM
Lucien911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah so I discovered the parking brake thing about 15 minutes after I wrote this. I pulled on it pretty hard and one of the retainer springs popped off, but I reinstalled that and testing the brake a few times. Seems like it's okay (luckily). I felt like an idiot for a minute, but then again, this is the first car I've ever had that the parking brake pedal was on the floor, so I didn't have my usual visual cue of the lever in the middle sticking up...

Spacers are on. Car looks good, but now I have another issue that I will post separately about..

Thanks for your help..
Old 09-15-08, 07:38 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you need to remove your rear rotors to install wheel spacers? Make sure when you put the rotor back on you adjust the star wheel back to the correct slack...or you could burn your brake shoes or have a crappy & pointless parking brake.