Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

need some education on settings of coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 11:07 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some education on settings of coilovers...

so this has bugged me for a while...
if the stock spring rate is 7/5 and for the tein SS for instance is 14/10,

Does it mean that 14/10 is the stiffest setting of the coilover?

Also, if that is the stiffest, how does one know the spring rate when set to the softest?

Does it mean it can be tuned down to a lower setting close to stock?

Reason i ask this is cos a lot of people complain that certain coilovers are stiff . But if they are adjustable can't one tune them down (reduce the stiffness) and bring it closer to stock specs?

am i missing something?

I ask cos i might be getting a ser of Tein SS from a fellow member and since the spring rate is 14/10, i was thinking it might be possible to loosen the stiffness an dbring it close to around a 10/7 rate which would be ideal for me....i guess.

i have no idea on these things so i hope someone understands what am trying to understand...lol
please educate me.

thanks

olddg
Old 09-12-08, 11:55 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i had tein cs v2 and i think the spring rate was 9/8 or something like that. i have hks coilovers now and i think the spring rate is 10/9 or a little lower. i now know, i will not get any coilovers or springs with higher spring rates. i can adjust the damper on the coilovers to compensate for a higher spring rate but it will only go so far. this is kinda my theory and could be wrong (if i'm rabbling on, sorry, its late and i'm not in a good mood).

imho, i believe the spring rate and dampers must work together to ensure proper ride and performance. however, the damper and spring rate settings are separate of each other. i believe, in your 'instance' the 14/10 does not reflect the coilovers damper; it does of the spring rate. you should then adjust your damper to affect the shock valve/ride. this is probably a science and i'm sure someone can chime in to help ya out and probably end up correcting me.

GL bud
btw,i dont think you can get SS and adjust to ride comparable to 10/7. i've heard the SS/Flex are stiff. i've never heard anyone say the SS/Flex ride like oem or close.
Old 09-13-08, 08:41 AM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS are actually 14kgf (front) &12kgf (rear). You can't adjust spring rate.

On the other hand you can adjust dampening. Adjusting the stiffness of the shock itself.
Old 09-13-08, 09:23 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
imho, i believe the spring rate and dampers must work together to ensure proper ride and performance. however, the damper and spring rate settings are separate of each other. i believe, in your 'instance' the 14/10 does not reflect the coilovers damper; it does of the spring rate. you should then adjust your damper to affect the shock valve/ride. this is probably a science and i'm sure someone can chime in to help ya out and probably end up correcting me.
+1

oh and the shock is measured by the valving size, and the increased/decreased rate of rebound. btw i would take a set of megans over SS anyday. Flex are very good coilovers and i highly recommend it, but forget about ANY comfort. I would also recommend other suspension upgrades before a set of flex though.
Old 09-15-08, 04:01 PM
olddog
Pole Position

megans are 12kg in front and 10kg at the back.
part of my confusion on coilover is this: if the megans are 12/10 and flex are 10/9, how are the megans more comfortable than the Flex?

thanks

olddog
Old 09-15-08, 05:17 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

flex are listed at 16/12, per Tein USA
http://www.tein.com/products/flex_price_list.html
Old 09-16-08, 11:29 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
i had tein cs v2 and i think the spring rate was 9/8 or something like that. i have hks coilovers now and i think the spring rate is 10/9 or a little lower. i now know, i will not get any coilovers or springs with higher spring rates.

Are you saying that the spring rate you now have with the HKS coils is too stiff compared to the Tein's? Or are you saying the HKS rates are just right but any more would be too stiff? Let us know.

Also - how do you like the HKS compared to the Teins? Any differences or about the same? And which HKS are you running? Please post up your comparisons of the two. Thanks!

Scott
Old 09-17-08, 08:47 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Are you saying that the spring rate you now have with the HKS coils is too stiff compared to the Tein's? Or are you saying the HKS rates are just right but any more would be too stiff? Let us know.

Also - how do you like the HKS compared to the Teins? Any differences or about the same? And which HKS are you running? Please post up your comparisons of the two. Thanks!

Scott
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=353289

I will never go back to Tein (shouldve listened to my friend). But dont get me wrong, tons of guys on here, love tein (its just personal preference like which toothpaste you prefer )

I love my HKS RS. IMHO, i believe the HKS spring rates on the RS are just right; but thats my personal opinion (and NEO300's too ) This is the 1st car I've ever modified and am a true believer in HKS products.