Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front-End Suspension Maintanence

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 11:27 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front-End Suspension Maintanence

I was quoted $750-800 for labor to do the following:

-Lower Balljoints
-Tie Rod Ends
-Daizen Control Arm Bushings
-Daizen Steering Rack Bushings
-Alignment

Do you guys this is a fair deal? Also, am I missing anything on my list that I should also have done at once as far as suspension maintenance? I want to get everything done all at once to ensure that I don't have to keep replacing worn out suspension parts every so often. Also, I look forward to much improved handling . Thanks guys.
Old 09-10-08, 06:36 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems a little salty, but I'm used to doing everything on a budget, haha.

If you're having the work done at a reputable and trustworthy shop, then I guess that's worth alot in itself...
Old 09-10-08, 01:27 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i mean, if you're comfortable at all working on your car all those things (minus the alignment) are easy to DIY. If you have to have a shop do it, i think thats a little bit too much. I'd get a few more quotes and see what kind of wiggle room you have.
Old 09-13-08, 12:46 AM
El Duque
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mex lex
I was quoted $750-800 for labor to do the following:

-Lower Balljoints
-Tie Rod Ends
-Daizen Control Arm Bushings
-Daizen Steering Rack Bushings
-Alignment

Do you guys this is a fair deal?
Is that in Pesos? Looks pretty steep to me. Labor should be around $75/hr...This doesn't look like a 10-hour job to me.
Old 09-16-08, 06:20 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys. I originally started with balljoint replacement. But since I was getting the balljoints done, I figured I would get the daizen c. arm and steering rack bushings installed. I am not really a diy guy, especially when it comes to suspension (my suspension would probably fall apart as soon as I'd pull out of the driveway).

Considering balljoint labor is ~ $250-300, alignment $80, and control arm bushings easily over $500, maybe the quote is not that bad. Besides, this isn't exactly the easiest thing to do, especially the c. arm bushings. Anyway, just wanted to make sure I had everything included in my list that should be replaced at once. I want to get rid of the notorious freeway vibrations, tire wear due to no alignment, better handling, and my misalignmed steering wheel. So I'll be killing all those birds with one stone .
Old 01-08-09, 05:38 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Talking Only 5 Months Later!

I took the GS to the shop today to get these things off my to-do list. Based on my first impressions from driving on the street on the way home:

-the car feels a lot firmer
-steering response greatly improved
-i can actually feel feedback from the road
-very minimal ride quality decrease
-a lot (10000x) funner to drive

First, I wanted to mention that do not forget or ignore your balljoints, mine were starting to show balljoint-bustin wear at 78K miles, with only about 18K miles driven with 20" wheels and about 10K miles on air suspension (low). I absolutely recommend the Daizen bushings. So far I have no regrets except for not doing it sooner. The steering feels smooth yet quick. The old bushings felt so soft before that it made me lazy. Now the car demands that you whip it around the turn. I tell the car where to go and it obeys. Obviously new balljoints add to the new and improved handling, but they don't account for most of it. To my surprise, the bushings are not anywhere near bone rattling on rough road. I hardly felt a difference going over bumps. The car is still very comfortable and more than suitable for daily driving. I drove the car back home at rush hour in stop and go traffic and it felt normal. The car does not have harsh or awkward thumps, creaks, noises, etc. Anybody that is looking for ways to improve their GS' performance, definately do these mods. Our heavy GS' devour the soft stock rubber bushings. With the Daizen polyeurothane bushings, you don't have to worry about that!

I will post more of my impressions once I get the chance to really drive it. I will also drive it at freeway speeds to see if the alignment and steering rack bushings got rid or reduced the infamous steering shimmy. Next up are sway bars and coilovers!
Old 01-08-09, 07:05 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad to see you got good results. I'm getting my ball joints and tie rods done tmorow. Hopefully i ball joints don't break while on the way over there.
Fingers crossed!
Old 01-08-09, 09:11 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

You could always get your GS towed to the shop . You'll make it, important thing is that you are getting them changed. It is a big load off your back, especially when you have been putting it off. Once you do, you won't have to worry about them breaking everytime you get in your car. Don't sleep on them fellow GS owners!
Old 01-08-09, 09:41 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mex lex
You could always get your GS towed to the shop . You'll make it, important thing is that you are getting them changed. It is a big load off your back, especially when you have been putting it off. Once you do, you won't have to worry about them breaking everytime you get in your car. Don't sleep on them fellow GS owners!
Man, I just logged in and saw another member with lesser miles snap his BJ.
I'll take the tow trucks number with me on my way just in case. I've got 35 miles to drive.
Old 01-13-09, 06:20 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsouth
Man, I just logged in and saw another member with lesser miles snap his BJ.
I'll take the tow trucks number with me on my way just in case. I've got 35 miles to drive.
You have no idea the peace of mind you'll have when you leave the shop. There was a GS with a screwed up fender getting BJs replaced at the dealership while mine was there.

It was hard not to smile while driving home.
Old 01-13-09, 08:43 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ckroush
You have no idea the peace of mind you'll have when you leave the shop. There was a GS with a screwed up fender getting BJs replaced at the dealership while mine was there.

It was hard not to smile while driving home.
Yeah no kidding, I feel a little less stress when I hit a bump in the road . But it sucks for the people who learn the bad way about balljoints. I not only got the piece of mind, but I can also now drive low. Before I was driving at 4x4 (stock) height to minimize stress on my balljoints because I knew I was almost due.
Old 02-22-10, 12:47 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Default Update

So my driver's side lower control arm is looking like this:

So I'll be switching back to OEM I guess. Just curious, anyone else with Daizen Control arm bushings having this problem?
Old 02-22-10, 01:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Never had a problem. When the bushings were pressed in, was there any major damage to the lip of the bushings?
Old 02-22-10, 01:29 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Never had a problem. When the bushings were pressed in, was there any major damage to the lip of the bushings?
Not that I know of. The shop just claimed that its the design thats flawed. The lip of the bushing is to small to hold in place.
Old 02-22-10, 01:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My lip definitely extends far out like it should. I have a pic in the FS thread.

Sounds to me like the shop didn't do a good job of pressing it in. Check to see if the lips are rounded off.

Quick Reply: Front-End Suspension Maintanence