Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

for peoples who have the megans or just coils in general..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 08:52 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for peoples who have the megans or just coils in general..

well i installed my coils on with a friend and the ride is pretty good so far. i didnt even adjust anything on the rear coil just installed the rear and put the rim back on the car went so low it sat. the fender was touching the wheel and i was tucking. I was like O FUDGEEEE i didnt even adjust anything. So i raised it back up. But the thing is a i raised it higher and higher it got really really tough to turn the lock nut. i mean im sure that is supposed to happen due to the compression of the shock. or could it be something else??? I thought i raised it alot but it went from like 1" of tuck to 1 " finger gap! I was like o crap!!

what if i wanted to raise it to stock height? but still gona be pretty low and even tougher to turn that nut!!

do ANY of you guys who have the megans or just coils in general experience that??? and i plan on installing 255/40s in the rear tomorrow and maybe mount a 245/40 or a 235/40 up front!! not sure

anyone who has the megans or just coils do you guys experience any of that when you try to raised the car up ?
Old 08-25-08, 09:50 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, due to compression. the price of paying to play. i do this a couple times/year too when i swap my stockies.
Old 08-25-08, 10:03 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

having weightlifter's arms and heavy duty gloves help...
Old 08-26-08, 01:32 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

raise it from the shock body (lower perch) if the megans have that..there should be two ways to adjust height..from the springs and from the shock body..
Old 08-26-08, 06:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

witht he megans you should NOT be adjusting the collars right under the spring to change height. height changes should be done at the bottom collar where the threaded body goes into the silver base. loosen that collar and then turn the larger upper collar to turn the entire threaded body up or down. don't let the spring move on the threaded body. this changes the shock stroke and is a major cuase of bad ride and premature shock failure.
Old 08-26-08, 02:01 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's fine to adjust from the collar under the spring. It's for preload adjustment. Basically it will make the car stiffer overall if you raise it up. It will raise/lower the car slightly. Just don't go too low on it or you will bottom out the coilovers and ride on the bumpstops all day.
Old 08-26-08, 06:46 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure if you can raise it back to stock height. I think my Tein SS all the way up was 1" lower than stock. That's if I read the spec sheet correctly. You will have to look at the specs of the coilovers you have for that info.
Old 08-26-08, 08:37 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

well right now the "collars" if that is the same term used at lock nut i used the one under the spring to adjust my height. There are lock nuts on the coil sleeve. i 3 one i locked completely at the bottom on the back so the sleeve doesnt move and i used the top to lock nuts to adjust my height. but on the front ones i raised the 3rd one all the way up b/c i though that was a back up lock nut for the 1st 2. i gota raise that one back all the way down. will i be fine for now if that 3 nut isnt all the way down to the silver base?