Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

anyone tracking there gs400

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 03:30 AM
goodstuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone tracking there gs400

i have a friend that is going to make his gs400 a track only car. we have the brembos up front but what wheels will fit (i no they must be at least 18's) i think we will go with hoosier r6 tires. i am thinking about 18x8 for the front and 18x9 any sugestions? next what suspension mods will this car need? which coilovers and sways? if anyone has any advice on tracking this car please let me know? also this car has about 125k on it does any one know what i need to check for him that could be worn or worn out? the car drives great and he wants to go with me when i run my 08z06 vette i run in the red instructors group and he will be starting at the bottom in green. i believe he is going to run this car for the rest of the year and some of next till he decides if he wants or needs a faster car.lol thanks bob

Last edited by goodstuff; 08-23-08 at 06:55 AM. Reason: need more info
Old 08-23-08, 10:41 AM
LexFather

Search please, this has been discussed tons. Just take your time and read around.
You will need wheels with the proper offset to clear the Brembos. 18s should be fine. Get good track tires.

Proper Dot 4 Brake Fluid
Coils are the way to go if you want a track setup since you can adjust.

Sways/Toms braces are a must.

Get a tranny cooler, run Amsoil Tranny fluid.

Make sure ball joints are fine.

We also suggest a LSD and a TC

The thing is if you are serious about turning the GS into a track car, well you will learn what you need for the car over time. Different brake pads, different sway bars, it all depends on what you want.

You might want to make the car lighter as well. Add carbon fiber bits. Gut the interior..

Last edited by LexFather; 08-23-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-24-08, 02:34 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any quality set of coil overs will do I think. Get a good set of pads and brake fluid (I've had nothing but positive results with Motul RBF600) to match the front Brembo's. You already have good tires, so just make sure the car is in tip top shape mechanically (all fluids, plugs, ball joints, etc).

Since the car is a few years old and has a few miles on her, make sure she is reliable is probably the most important part of going fast and having fun. Use Redline Water Wetter in the coolant (I'd use a mix of 80/20 water to coolant) and the aforementioned transmission cooler would be great.

Do a few track events and decide what needs upgrading from there!