Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing a F-Sport Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 05:51 AM
Zexnos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am extremely happy with the F-Sport bars and feel they were well worth the money. Steering is direct and predictable, cornering is nice and neutral.

I would recommend them to anyone thinking about buying them.
Old 09-15-08, 08:36 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Thanks, thats what I needed to read
Old 09-15-08, 11:45 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only the rear sway bar is available for the IS250 AWD, but it made a major difference in cornering. Reduced the oversteer, not that there was much to begin with. Well worth the price. I notice the bar is about twice the thickness plus is straight rather than curved (why the curve on the stock bar, I'm not sure). Both add to the rigidity. And as it should, it did not affect the vertical stiffness when going over bumps in the road.
Old 09-15-08, 11:57 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Would the rear sway for the AWD work on the RWD ISX50? On some cars, "upgrading" the front sway is minimal. Even without a front sway, wouldnt having just a rear improve the overall handling of the car?
Old 09-16-08, 03:15 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

I can't see how it would hurt. It should be an improvement no matter what. It's not like replacing half your springs. The AWD and RWD can't be that much different. It would be interesting to see if the rear bar of the two bar RWD package is the same as the single rear bar sold for us AWD folks.
Old 09-16-08, 07:24 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oseidler
It would be interesting to see if the rear bar of the two bar RWD package is the same as the single rear bar sold for us AWD folks.
that's EXACTLY wht i am wondering.. If it is the same bar, I will be getting just the rear.

Can anybody find out?
Old 09-16-08, 08:25 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oseidler
Only the rear sway bar is available for the IS250 AWD, but it made a major difference in cornering. Reduced the oversteer, not that there was much to begin with. Well worth the price. I notice the bar is about twice the thickness plus is straight rather than curved (why the curve on the stock bar, I'm not sure). Both add to the rigidity. And as it should, it did not affect the vertical stiffness when going over bumps in the road.
wait, your IS 250 AWD OVERSTEERS??? How?????

Even the IS 250 and IS 350 RWD suffers from Understeer.

How the heck does our AWD suffer from Oversteer?

I'm so confused . . .

The AWD model has front sways that are already as thick as the F-Sport options in the RWD models. That's why they offer only the Rear sway bar for AWD models. It'll make the handling more neutral by making the rear more stiff and slide out more to counteract the understeer.

I hope I'm not the one that's confused here . . .

I need Lance here . . . now
Old 09-23-08, 10:58 PM
LexyIS350
Driver

I just finish installing the F sport rear swaybar on the IS. It was a very easy install that took about 30 mins. If anyone is wondering the IS350 rear swaybar is the same one as the AWD rear one. When I placed an order with Sewell, they basically told me to just order the AWD rear.

Last edited by LexyIS350; 09-23-08 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 11:19 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexyIS350
I just finish installing the F sport rear swaybar on the IS. It was a very easy install that took about 30 mins. If anyone is wondering the IS350 rear swaybar is the same one as the AWD rear one. When I placed an order with Sewell, they basically told me to just order the AWD rear.
thank you! my suspicions were correct! Have you driven with it on yet?
Old 09-23-08, 11:57 PM
LexyIS350
Driver

I only driven it around the block and thats not enough for me to notice any improvement. I will take it up to Highway 9 near Saratoga this weekend and see how much it helped with the body roll.
Old 09-24-08, 12:26 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

whats the difference between the oem and the F sport? its just the shape? and how much this cost you? thnx...like the F logo though!
Old 09-24-08, 03:46 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

For the IS250 AWD, besides the F-Sport bar being straight across as opposed to multiple bends on the stock bar, it is substantually thicker (almost 1.5 times) in diameter. Not sure if the steel itself is a different grade, but the bar is definitely heavier. And being straight rather than having bends should increase the torsion. And yes, it is powder-coated in a pretty blue with the logo! Very important to put it on with the logo upright!
Old 09-24-08, 04:17 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

To answer your question about cost. Got it from Sewell - total cost was $189 including FedEx Ground shipping. Make sure to enter discount code "F-SPORT" at checkout. Better discount than the CL code. I installed it myself with car on ramps. Hardest part was manuevering the OEM bar out due to its curved shape once I had removed it. New one slips in easy as it is straight. Follow the detailed instructions and hints and you'll be fine.
Old 09-25-08, 08:30 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexyIS350
I only driven it around the block and thats not enough for me to notice any improvement. I will take it up to Highway 9 near Saratoga this weekend and see how much it helped with the body roll.
LexyIS350, so you only bought the rear sway bar for your RWD IS350? I am thinking of doing the same thing coz I heard the rear makes the most difference but the front does not.

can you write some review of how the body roll and handling improved with only the rear sway bar?

thanks in adavnce
Old 09-27-08, 02:36 AM
LexyIS350
Driver

Well I finally got a chance to take it out and see how it affected my handling. First of all I by no mean pushed it to the max on public road. That would be too dangerous even on a road with low traffic. I drove it about 60percent of what it's capable of.
The body roll was reduced. Not by a huge amount but significant enough to make the car feel "tighter". Everytime I would turn left and then a quick right on the curve, the weight transfer was minimized. The back end felt more reactive to my steering input without the previous sway. I couldn't tell if the car's tendency to understeer was reduced, since I don't want to end up rolling down a hill but I did notice the turn in was quicker in response.
Please keep in mind this rear swaybar is the only suspension upgrade in this car. I'm sure, if I added the F-Sport spring and shocks, the improvment would've been magnified. Overall for $195, this upgrade was well worth the money for it's return. Now for the tires...

Last edited by LexyIS350; 09-27-08 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Installing a F-Sport Sway Bar